got about $1000 budget for cpu... what should i get

ryuji

2[H]4U
i can get a fx-57 for damn cheap through a friend... but is there a better choice?

i dont care about who makes it... i care about in the end performance... a oc'd fx-57 would prob inch past a 3 ghz dothan.. since i could expect 3.2 ghz or so on water cooling

yes... ~$1k for just the cpu

Is it exclusively for gaming? Yes the FX-57 is a great choice, but you might want to look into Opterons, dual FX capabilities once overclocked.

Just my 0.02$

pretty much just gaming, and general use elsewhere.. maybe running a server or two.. nothing extreme

I would get a dual core Athlon X2 4800+ and overclock it. You should be able to match an FX-57's clock speed, and if so, the machine will out perform the FX-57 in every task besides gaming. In games, it would match it, assuming you could hit 2.8GHz with one. On water cooling it should be easy enough to do.

The main reason I suggest the X2 over the FX-57 is because Quake IV already takes advantage of SMP or dual core, and the 4800+ out performs the X2 in that game. Other games in the future will also be written to take advantage of the extra core.

wouldnt a single 3.2 ghz core be faster then dual 2.8 ghz...

ryuji said:
wouldnt a single 3.2 ghz core be faster then dual 2.8 ghz...

Technically yes, but a lot of people multi-task, even with gaming, and that's where the dual cores shine.

meh.. i can get the fx-57 for basically free... ill be doing that probably unless the performance difference is so awsome i shouldnt

Imho, get a dual core 170. Otherwise get your fx-57 and buy a Vapochill or watercooling loop for it! ;) Either way, with that amount of money you should be using water for whatever cpu you decide to get :cool:

i have a water cooling loop that kept a 1.64v prescott at 4 ghz at 65C, measured/calculated power consumption to be at 200 watts... heat output at about 180 watts... it consumed so much power it melted its own voltage regulator... with a fan blowing over them

oh yea i also had a 6800 ultra in line on that loop.. the 6800U would max out at 46C

i doubt seriously that a fx-57 even over volted is going to make that much heat

ryuji said:
i have a water cooling loop that kept a 1.64v prescott at 4 ghz at 65C, measured/calculated power consumption to be at 200 watts... heat output at about 180 watts... it consumed so much power it melted its own voltage regulator... with a fan blowing over them

oh yea i also had a 6800 ultra in line on that loop.. the 6800U would max out at 46C

i doubt seriously that a fx-57 even over volted is going to make that much heat

Err, the 90nm ones are rated for 70C so that might not be such a good idea. With water, I'd go to 1.65 max and 1.7-8 with phase.

ryuji said:
meh.. i can get the fx-57 for basically free... ill be doing that probably unless the performance difference is so awsome i shouldnt
You'd be much better off with a dual core 939 opteron. With good cooling, you could probably have each core running close to 3Ghz. Since the 8x.xx nVidia drivers, dual core chips are very close performance wise to FX chips in gaming, and in the case of multithreaded games (Q4 and Serious Sam II - and i'm sure there's more to come) they'll perform better than an FX-57... least unless its clocked at 4Ghz with a vapochill keeping the temps down ;)

thunderstruck! said:
Err, the 90nm ones are rated for 70C so that might not be such a good idea. With water, I'd go to 1.65 max and 1.7-8 with phase.
my 3 ghz dothan ran at 28C full load.... this wc can take a lot of heat... the pressy made my WHOLE COMPUTER consume 450 watts compared to my 3 ghz dothan's 210... a wee bit of a difference there w/e it is i need to get at LEAST 3 ghz to beat the dothan

RavenD said:
You'd be much better off with a dual core 939 opteron. With good cooling, you could probably have each core running close to 3Ghz. Since the 8x.xx nVidia drivers, dual core chips are very close performance wise to FX chips in gaming, and in the case of multithreaded games (Q4 and Serious Sam II - and i'm sure there's more to come) they'll perform better than an FX-57... least unless its clocked at 4Ghz with a vapochill keeping the temps down ;)

I second that recommendation. The dual core opteron would give you more performance where you need it - newer games. The FX-57 would give an FPS boost only for older games which will already be running at 100 or more FPS anyway, so:

If you want the best performance get the dual-core Opteron.
If you want the largest E-Penis get the FX-57.

even if fx-57 is free? my friends buddy has a bunch of 57's just laying around.. he'll just give me one

thats the real question... free 57 vs $600 opteron...

DMystikaLD said:
Well you said you had a $1000 budget, so I'm guessing you're spending it.
im wondering if i should just take the 57 and save the 1k for somthing better...
either way i dont think my wc will be able to handle the thermal load of a dc... ill be having sli 7800gtx 512... or crossfire x1800 xt's.. havent decided yet

yea.. i agree.. games dont need dc yet.. so why not wait til they need it.. then pwn the current cpus with w/e is the next generation when they need it

Ballz2TheWallz said:
snatch a fx57 for me and pm me for the mailing adress ;)

I second that. I could really do with a new processor, my athlon xp 2800+ is looking pretty outdated. Being a poor college student sucks. I can even pay you for shipping :)

You would be the coolest person on [H] if you sent me one :D

im going to go with more performance now... more performance later when i need it... instead of less performance now and better then fx-57 performance later...

free 57, when the time comes multicore tech is being utilized fairly well sell it off and then youll have like $1500 for a new chip

Ballz2TheWallz said:
free 57, when the time comes multicore tech is being utilized fairly well sell it off and then youll have like $1500 for a new chip
thats what im thinking of doing.. and by then we will have 2.8 ghz dual core.. and thats stock... lol

Quake 4 already takes advantage of dual core. Future games, within the next year could really start to take advantage of it. Especially with console development now requiring it.

Dual core is the only sound investment.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Quake 4 already takes advantage of dual core. Future games, within the next year could really start to take advantage of it. Especially with console development now requiring it.

Dual core is the only sound investment.
we will see on that one.... ppu will help ;) investment? hmm free and wait or pay now when it may not even be worth it....

Or get the FX57, sell it for a decent price, then get the 4800's plus a little extra with the money made off the FX57? :p

kamxam said:
Or get the FX57, sell it for a decent price, then get the 4800's plus a little extra with the money made off the FX57? :p
meh money aint much of a limiter for me anymore
fx system:
v1000B with red powder coated inside
w/e the best dfi board is for either crossfire or sli
either sli 7800gtx 512's or crossfire x1800xt's
4gb of ram.. if a fx57 is capable?
gonna keep my x-fi
dual 74gb raptors in raid0 and a 200gb sata hdd for storage
some beefy psu
of course a whole new WC loop

ryuji said:
meh money aint much of a limiter for me anymore
fx system:
v1000B with red powder coated inside
w/e the best dfi board is for either crossfire or sli
either sli 7800gtx 512's or crossfire x1800xt's
4gb of ram.. if a fx57 is capable?
gonna keep my x-fi
dual 74gb raptors in raid0 and a 200gb sata hdd for storage
some beefy psu
of course a whole new WC loop

Then go with dual Opteron 254's. The same speed as the FX-57 and you get SMP, which gives you the advantages of dual core. :D

FX-57's are capable of 4GB of ram. And more. However, XP 32 will give you issues running 4GB of ram.

Well right now the FX-57 is the fastest gaming CPU money can buy. Unless of course you are talking about Quake 4. That will be the one game that runs better on dual core systems. I'd say that counts as being worth the time.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Then go with dual Opteron 254's. The same speed as the FX-57 and you get SMP, which gives you the advantages of dual core. :D

FX-57's are capable of 4GB of ram. And more. However, XP 32 will give you issues running 4GB of ram.
i may do that for a server... but cooling two cpus would slow down my water quite a bit...

what kind of 4 gb issues?

also ECC ram is fscking expensive lol, autho i can afford it... i would rather have a ocing system... i love ocing.. im not passing it up

the memory controller still only like 2 sticks to run at 1t command rate, but it will tak e4 at 200mhz with a 2t command rate i believe...

ryuji said:
i may do that for a server... but cooling two cpus would slow down my water quite a bit...

what kind of 4 gb issues?

also ECC ram is fscking expensive lol, autho i can afford it... i would rather have a ocing system... i love ocing.. im not passing it up

Well, for my system Windows XP 32-bit only sees 2.5GB of ram. You have to deal with memory hole mapping. Basically, Windows runs out of memory addresses at that point. For a gaming box there is no need for 4GB of ram. Especially when you'd likely only get about 3GB of it. It varies by system

0mega said:
the memory controller still only like 2 sticks to run at 1t command rate, but it will tak e4 at 200mhz with a 2t command rate i believe...
so... the fx57 memory controler isnt like venice in it can do 4 sticks just fine? i figured these improvments were on all the 90nm parts

if that is true... ill only do 2gb

Back