Got a replacement 850w in the mail keep it or upgrade.

So my Corsair 850TX PSU started making a buzzing sound and the fan would spin up at random times. Really annoying when it's the loudest thing in my system. Called Corsair they sent me a brand new in the Box 850TX-M. So I'm running 7 x120mm Corsair ML fans, a D5 pump, dual 1080's, [email protected], 32gb 3200 dd4, MSI godlike carbon MB, and 480g ssd. Thinking i'm puling about 700ish if I run full load. I would like to start doing folding from home again. Going to a 1000w psu or higher would increase my efficiency by keeping the load at a lower level. Thoughts ? Thanks

Folding is one of the rare instances I would recommend an oversized PSU. However, you should aim for higher 80+ certification over capacity, depending on your budget.

Buy a Kill-A-Watt meter and find out your real power usage. Often a lot less then you think. 2nd the suggestion on picking a high efficiency PS. Can make a difference for something running 24/7/365.

So got a really good deal on a Corsair HX1200i .. Ran the software to see how much power i'm drawing. PSU is showing i'm using 750 just gaming. Haven't fired up Folding from home yet to see what kind of damage I can get it to do. Figure it should be around 800-850. So I'm glad I went with a bigger unit. Was going to get a 1000w evga that's on sale for 129.99 from them a platinum one . (I posted it in hot deals) ended up getting the hx1200i for 170 bucks new in the box off offerup. Figure with this and folding I should be able to stay close to the sweet spot on the PSU.

Back