Got a question about my 680GT and a Soltek EQ3801

ohgod

Gawd
Ok well first off will the power supply in the soltek be able to handle this?:
AMD 64 2800+
2 Serial ATA 80 gig hard drives
A cd burner
and my 6800 gt?
And then will my 6800gt fit with a NV Silerncer 5 on it or would I need to bust out a dremel?

It shouldn't be a big deal, I dunno about this heatsink u have on top though so u probably will have to mod the side.

You're playing with fire... And, why in the name of _________ (insert deity) did you buy a flipping Soltek? There are cheaper (and more satisfying :eek: ) ways to get self-inflicted pain...

I'm interested also. Will any of the shuttle type
boxes take the newer ATI or nVidia cards
(will they fit) ?

Which ones will, which will not then....thanks

Well I've looked around and found out that many people can run mostly that same setup with no problems, I was just wondering of my 6800gt will fit with the Nv Silencer 5 I just bought.

roc said:
You're playing with fire... And, why in the name of _________ (insert deity) did you buy a flipping Soltek? There are cheaper (and more satisfying :eek: ) ways to get self-inflicted pain...

You're an idiot. Soltek makes an outstanding SFF PC. Matter of fact they have a perfect 5 out of 5 on two Athlon 64 SFF Systems at Newegg (two of only 4 Athlon 64 systems available IMO).

Todd

The silencer won't fit in that case. My single slot 6800GT just barely fits in my SN45G, which has a layout very similar to your Soltek. The NV5 Silencer completely takes up the next slot, as you can see in this picture I found at nvnews:
http://img66.exs.cx/img66/2381/IMG_0060.jpg

To make that NV5 fit, you'd probably have to remove quite a bit of the case. Here's a mod that was done for an old version of the Silencer, though the new ones are close to the same size:
http://www.m1key.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Mod/

I was going to remove the video card side and put mesh there instead, I could also make a rectangular hole where the NV silencer exhausts hot air.

ToddTheFrog said:
You're an idiot

noun a person of subnormal intelligence

which begs the question
is either;

1. failing to read the rules, numerous posts and sticky threads regarding flaming and namecalling
or
2. having read them, and deciding to flame \ namecall nevertheless

qualify as a defacto display of subnormal intelligence? :p

In this case probability is high
remove that accolade from your personal lexicon when in here please ;)

ToddTheFrog said:
You're an idiot. Soltek makes an outstanding SFF PC. Matter of fact they have a perfect 5 out of 5 on two Athlon 64 SFF Systems at Newegg (two of only 4 Athlon 64 systems available IMO).

Todd

your calling him an idiot? , but your the one that rely on newegg reviews?!!? which are unrelieable and most of them are stupid

paulmofyourhand said:
your calling him an idiot? , but your the one that rely on newegg reviews?!!? which are unrelieable and most of them are stupid
So in turn your calling him stupid?

ohgod said:
So in turn your calling him stupid?

no implying something based on someone elses flame is fair game :p
(and an additional penalty you pay for flaming)

delete "your an idiot" and insert "not the sharpest tool in the shed"

then apply paulmofyourhand's post
the rhetorical question is one of the sharpest weapons available within the rules
(as your post displays)
however I would advise the membership to not answer those questions :p

Can we get back on topic please? Im looking at buying this SFF and modding my 6800 Ultra card to fit inside...

my gt fits nicely, even if it gets a little warm.

make sure you get the 3801-300 to handle that ultra. even then I would keep the extra devices to a minnimum. maybe even run all usb off a powered hub.
you will have to cut an opening in the side for the cooler to fit. and probably have to change the slot bracket from a dbl wide to a single.

note: even though im happy overall with my 3801, the included hsf is questionable with a screwed on copper plate that needs better thermal paste. and a few ppl have had problems with bad bios roms, myself included.
if you can accept that and the standard sff limitations. you get 1 of the best lan rigs around.

A few months ago I built two computers around this chassis, one with a 6800 standard and one with a 6800GT. All the other specs are the same, A64 3200, 1GB Crucial DDR, 7200RPM drive and Pioneer 108's. They have performed without issue so far (other than the 6800 getting replaced, but that was bad from the beginning). So I wouldn't worry about the quality of the computers, I am sure there have been some bad units just like any piece of hardware, but overall pretty decent machines. The cards themselves were a very tight fit, and I had to bend the bottom of the expansion plate a little to get it to fit but after that they popped right in. One thing I should mention though is that I bought Audigy2 ZS's for the first one I built and it would not fit due to space constraints in the system, the PCI slot is almost useless due to the size card it will accept. At this point I would personally buy a Shuttle SFF now that they are building models based on the nForce4 chipset, or look at the older and smaller nForce 3 powered Shuttle, both are better to work on I think are probably better systems.
As for your original question, the VGA silencer won't fit without cutting a hole in the side panel, but unless you have a really noisy fan I wouldn't bother, even in the tiny cases they only seem to run about 10 degrees warmer than in my desktop tower case.

Back