Got a old Q6600 earlier... SL9UM (pack date: 4/20/07)

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
The pack date made me smile a little. :D

Anyways, it's going to be dropped into an Abit IP35 Pro, watercooled (although just a small setup) and paired with some GSkill DDR2.

Power supply is a PPC&C 550 SLI and the video card will be probably an 8800 or some make.

So, being that it's an SL9UM the older stepping, and being the pack date is months ago... is there a chance at a good overclock here?

I'm hoping for 3ghz and would all but piss my pants for 3.2ghz.

The batch # is L644G***

Any thoughts on this one?

3.0ghz is possible, but I'm not sure about 3.2ghz...unless you have good cooling.

3.0ghz is possible, but I'm not sure about 3.2ghz...unless you have good cooling.

Yeah, that's not a bad overclock though... you figure 600mhz x 4 chips, I'd be pretty happy with that for sure.

I'm just kicking tires as all I have right now is the CPU and the motherboard.

I should have the rest of the parts within a week, I have 15 days to return the CPU and try my luck somewhere else for a G0, but wonder if it would be worth it?

Heh :cool:

I just got a G0 ;)

Where from dude?

Yeah, I'd feel better about having a G0, however, searching google for other L644G chips, it seems not bad, there are some out there around 3.5ghz and quite a few at 3.2ghz, however, there are also a few at under 3ghz. :(

Where from dude?

Yeah, I'd feel better about having a G0, however, searching google for other L644G chips, it seems not bad, there are some out there around 3.5ghz and quite a few at 3.2ghz, however, there are also a few at under 3ghz. :(

NCIXUS. Lucked out basically.

Haven't OC'd yet though. My Scythe Mine 3 died, so I'm running on the stock cooler. Such a shame. Should have a ninja 2 rev b soon though.

The pack date made me smile a little. :D

Anyways, it's going to be dropped into an Abit IP35 Pro, watercooled (although just a small setup) and paired with some GSkill DDR2.

Power supply is a PPC&C 550 SLI and the video card will be probably an 8800 or some make.

So, being that it's an SL9UM the older stepping, and being the pack date is months ago... is there a chance at a good overclock here?

I'm hoping for 3ghz and would all but piss my pants for 3.2ghz.

The batch # is L644G***

Any thoughts on this one?

While your waiting lap it! lap it, lap it, lap it and lastly lap it. :D

Haven't OC'd yet though. My Scythe Mine 3 died, so I'm running on the stock cooler. Such a shame. Should have a ninja 2 rev b soon though.

Can you comment at all on how that went? I have a revb in the mail right now for use with an LGA mobo and a q6600, but some of the stories I read on mounting this thing and keeping your chip cool have been very poor:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42208
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39352

Any feedback is most welcome!

i would say your chances are good with water and a 35 board, remember with abit, if at first you dont succeed, boot, RMA and boot again

how do you kill a heatsink? seems sort of impossible to me?

Never thought I'd see this thread again, anyhow, long story short... was ale to exchange this above mentioned CPU for a G0.

However, as I now find myself in a situation of financial need I was never able to use it, instead it's going to go up for sale.

Sucks though, I'd love to see what it could do.

the difference between g0 and b3 is vastly exaggerated. I have a b3, and am easily stable at 3.2 stock volts. Working on 3.6 right now. And no lapping yet, can't find any suitable paper in the nearby hardware shop. B3 is fine

I think the whole B3 vs G0 thing is more about the slight power improvements at high load more than anything. Overall, the difference has been nominal, with some B3's overclocking better than G0's. For the record, I have a G0.

Who knows for sure, however, looking at the vast amounst of posts on this and many other hardware forums I believe it is very safe to say the G0's overclock EASIER, perhaps not better then the B3's do, but, certainly easier.

Either way, the Q6600 is a great chip. For the bang versus buck segment, I think you're hard pressed to find such a good value since the days of the ultra-cheap Athlon XP's.

Either way, the Q6600 is a great chip. For the bang versus buck segment, I think you're hard pressed to find such a good value since the days of the ultra-cheap Athlon XP's.

I agree 100%, quite honstly, it is the chip to have these days.

the difference between g0 and b3 is vastly exaggerated. I have a b3, and am easily stable at 3.2 stock volts. Working on 3.6 right now. And no lapping yet, can't find any suitable paper in the nearby hardware shop. B3 is fine

I think so too. 3.375 ghz stable on water. It has taken a bit of tweaking to get this far, but I think that is more due to this only being the second core2 I've ever OCed.

Can you comment at all on how that went? I have a revb in the mail right now for use with an LGA mobo and a q6600, but some of the stories I read on mounting this thing and keeping your chip cool have been very poor:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42208
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39352

Any feedback is most welcome!

Went fine. I changed my board recently however, so I did the mount outside of the case, which made things much easier.

79F room (No AC) = 42C, 42C, 42C, 39C across the cores @ 3.15ghz @ 1.36v idle. load temps are in the mid to high 60's with 4x P95, which I'm not horribly concerned about. Those temps will drop when my ambient does.

My sarcasm detector is broken lately...but long story short, the pin was already engaged before I tried to mount it. Both plastic parts around the pin itself broke off when I tried to mount the already engaged pin. Leaving me irritated and out $50 for a new HSF. I'm sure I could've salvaged it, but honestly..the scythe mine3 kind of sucked for an e6700, much less a quad.

/start thread hijack

zmjone, best place to get quality paper for lapping isn't a hardware store, but an auto body shop (necessary to finish body work). They should be able to help you out with all your fine grit needs.

/end thread hijack

/start thread hijack

zmjone, best place to get quality paper for lapping isn't a hardware store, but an auto body shop (necessary to finish body work). They should be able to help you out with all your fine grit needs.

/end thread hijack

thanks

Aaaaannnnnndddd....???

How'd it work out for you???

Please tell me they're magical chips and will do 4ghz at stock voltage. :D :D :D :D :D

I set it to 2.7 GHz (300FSBx9) the night I installed it and lowered the voltage a few notches below stock. It has run great, and I haven't touched any of the settings since then. I need to try pushing it further...

Back