Got a new Xbox free... so now what do I play?

Direfox

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife got a new dell so the kids and I have a new xbox for free. First of all, if its possible to play it on my PC I would prefer that, so I am looking for xbox only games. What are the must play ones? I have already decided on Alan Wake and I had better get Final Fantasy 13 (as I have played them from the first one). What else ya got???

Halo 3 and Reach are "must haves" IMO
Red Dead Redemption
Forza 3
Just Cause 2 (though if your PC has a decent DX10+ GPU, then get it for PC)

Red Dead redemption
Forza 2 and 3.
Toy Story 3 for the kids. But you may even enjoy it, i did for a bit.. Now my girl plays the crap outta it.
Fight night Round 4 / Champion if your into boxing

hmm about all i can think of at the moment.

Red Dead Redemption
Enslaved
Darksiders
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Deadly Premonition (if you love Twin Peaks)

Check out the Live games. They even have demos. Great titles like –

Shadow Complex (very Super Metroid or Castlevaina: SotN like)
Castle Crashers
Splosion man and/or Ms. Splosion Man
Scott Pilgrim VS. The World (plays like River City Ransom)

Halo 3 & Reach
Red Dead Redemption
I personally found Devil May Cry 4 fun. :p

Have others but I'm assuming you'll have them for the PC

Definitely Red Dead Redemption, awesome game, i would say get all the Gears of War even though it's on the PC its much better on the 360.

Too Human if you like hack and slash RPG's
Armored Core For Answer if you like fast paced Mech games

Gears 1, 2 and 3 are all great. The Halo games are solid, too.

Trials HD is god tier Xbox Live Arcade stuff. Castle Crashers is a lot of fun. Shadow Complex is a great Super Metroid style side scroller.

Upcoming console exclusive that I absolutely recommend is Dark Souls. Your kids will probably be better at it than you, though, lol.

Some of my picks are older games, which means they'll be cheap... but you'd have to find them.

Retail Xbox Games
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Alan Wake (which you mentioned)
Amped 3
Crackdown
Eternal Sonata
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Fable II
Forza 3
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Halo: Reach
Halo Wars
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Xbox Live Arcade
Aegis Wing (should be free)
Braid
Carcassonne
Castle Crashers
Geometry Wars Evolved
Geometry Wars Evolved 2
Magic: The Gathering
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
Trials HD

Indie Games
I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1N1T!!!1
Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp
Johnny Platform Saves Xmas!

Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp

NOT-SURE-IF-SERIOUS-.jpg

Red Dead Redemption is thoroughly overrated. I heard the Fable series were good but I have never played them.

Oh I'm dead serious! My only complaint is the levels/world is small (dimensions wise). It'd be nice if it filled the entire screen, and not be in a skinny "Tetris" type window. Otherwise it's a fun little platformer, and it only costs a dollar.

For anybody who has unfamiliar with the game, here's a video

My picks for games you must play are........

Halo Reach, Halo 3, and Halo ODST as they are all unique.
Gears of War 1+2
Forza 3 is a MUST if you want to play the best racing sim ever made. This also happens to be the most beautiful game ever made for a console so far.

Thanks a ton guys. Going to check out Red Dead Redemption next. I thought there was a game that looked kind of like Far Cry (1) that was very popular but I dont remember what the name was. I saw screen shots a year or so ago. Took place on an island and had lots of lush jungle, not sure if it was for xbox though. Sound familiar to anyone?

play, play you dont play with a 360 youu se it as a door stop. seriously tho it depends on what you are into.

not too many good exclusives but I'd go with Halo Reach, Gears of War I &II, Alan Wake

Xbox live arcade:
Pac man Championship edition
Super meat boy
Mr. Driller

then you have
Halo reach
Forza 3
COD: Black ops
Blue dragon
FF13
Fallout 3

If you like older school Final Fantasy games (I'm saying 4,6, and even 7,9,10)...you must play Lost Odyssey. It's like what Final Fantasy used to be. Honestly, I haven't even liked the type of game/battle system/etc of a FF since 10 (although I did consider playing 12).

If you like older school Final Fantasy games (I'm saying 4,6, and even 7,9,10)...you must play Lost Odyssey. It's like what Final Fantasy used to be. Honestly, I haven't even liked the type of game/battle system/etc of a FF since 10 (although I did consider playing 12).

Thanks! I will check that out. Love the old style FF games.

If you like adventure games, Kameo was a great launch title. Shame it didn't catch on as I would have loved a sequel. MS even advertised and displayed the game well. I guess the xbox crowd was too cool for cartoony graphics.

Dead Rising 1 and 2. Gotta love mindless zombie killing.

There are lots of good RGPs: Lost Oddessey, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean, FF13, The Last Remnant, Nier, etc. Plus all the western RPGs.

And download and check out the arcade games yourself. Too many great games to list. They all have trail versions to play.

Some of the best games go left unmentioned:

Thank god someone mentioned Lost Odyssey. FF13 was awful and the combat system while fun got repetitive when you are fighting the same guys all the time.

Pick up the following games:

Phantom Dust (Xbox title works on 360)
The Darkness

EDIT: Viva Pinata 2, Left for Dead 2 is good. At work right now so I will think of more when I get home.

If we are including single player original xbox titles
Original Xbox Titles
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II
Halo 1
Halo 2
Fable

Xbox 360 Titles
Halo 3
Halo ODST (If you can get it for a good price)
Halo Reach
Fable 2
Fallout
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Deus Ex : Human Revolution

Xbox Live Arcade Titles
Geometry Wars Evolved
Geometry Wars Evolved 2

All these games have huge single and multiplayer value. All worth taking a look at.
Gamertag: TechIsCool

Do yourself a favor and skip Final Fantasy if you're a veteran... it really really blows. I purchased it day one, and only played it for maybe 4 hours and took it back to the store.

If you're a fan of that style gameplay, check out Lost Odyssey. It's a MUCH better game (turn based RPG). If you didn't know any better, you'd swear it was a FF game. You can also probably get it, used at GS, for around $10.00

edit: Also check out Red Dead Redemption. Awesome game

Do yourself a favor and skip Final Fantasy if you're a veteran... it really really blows. I purchased it day one, and only played it for maybe 4 hours and took it back to the store.

If you're a fan of that style gameplay, check out Lost Odyssey. It's a MUCH better game (turn based RPG). If you didn't know any better, you'd swear it was a FF game. You can also probably get it, used at GS, for around $10.00

edit: Also check out Red Dead Redemption. Awesome game

Agreed about Final Fantasy XIII. The first 30 hours are a boring, near-fruitless, linear slog. After the game opened up I just lost interest. And the 360 port is pretty bad (read: LAZY).

Also:

+1 for Alan Wake, Battlefield: Bad Company, Kameo, Perfect Dark XBLA, and Super Meat Boy for some platforming hell. And don't forget about Conker: Live and Reloaded for OG XBox. :)

Red Dead Redemption is thoroughly overrated. I heard the Fable series were good but I have never played them.

Fable is like your average RPG, but on rails. It has the illusion of an open world, but the second you leave town, you're forced down a series if little paths. The story isn't all that great, and magic is entirely too powerful. If you use magic at all, you will find the game very easy. Forcing yourself to play without it is even more boring. The interactions with people are very shallow. You can fart at them, tell jokes, insult them, etc, but none of these things have any real impact on anything. You can get married, etc, but once again, it's just for kicks as there's no real point in doing it.

All in all, Fable has turned out to be a series that's hyped beyond belief, and failed to deliver every time. Peter Molyneux doing what he does best. The series had potential, but it pales in comparison to other RPGs. It's almost like an RPG crossed with an action game, and the end result is just not all that satisfying.

Crackdown for sure

Gears is great for single and 3 is right around the corner

Haloz

Did I mention Crackdown

Back