got a new tv and ps3.. hdmi

Hey guys, i just picked up a new Panasonic TH-46PZ80U 46" plasma 1080p HDTV, and i also got a PS3 with it. I ordered a HDMI 1.3 cable off ebay (yes i know) just for the interim until my buddy gets me a discounted monster cable from circuit city (he works there). However, i am having issues, and im not sure which is the culprit. When i turn the PS3 to HDMI mode, sometimes the picture gets artifacts and the screen flickers, but not always. Last night i got it to *finally* go to 1080p mode and it looked gorgeous, but the next time i turned on the console it was artifacting and flickering. I just dont get it. Would the problem be with the cable, the PS3 or the TV?

I would try the cable first as that is the easiest fix. Try Monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com for a top quality HDMI cable at a FRACTION of the cost of retail.

Don't be fooled by monster cables' marketing, even if you get a discounted price you WILL be paying too much. do what The_Law suggested and be a smart consumer ;)

I "rented" all my cables from Best Buy until I got the ones I ordered from Monoprice.com
The ones from (HDMI, and DVI/HDMI) gave me a horrible picture. When I got the new ones from monoprice the screen problems went away.

The Show Marketplace on the CBC (Canadian broadcasting Company) ran a consumer speacial on the up selling of expensive HDMI cables when buying HDTV's, they went under cover and what not bought the high end HDMI cables that were pushed on them, but they also went back and bought the cheap cables and ordered very cheap cables online. took them to thier tv tech guys and tested all the cables for signal quality, they ALL showed the same high quality signal through each cable, a $250 monster cable and a $10 no name cable had the same high quality signal. So don't ever beleive the hype about Monster Cables

So since i hate to wait for stuff to be shipped i have always bought the cheapest in store HDMI cables BB or Futureshop have, which is the dynex brand and i have had no issue with 4 i am currently using.

i would go into your display settings and make sure all the resolutions your TV supports are listed and you could try unchecking all but 720p and see if the same problems exsist it might be a issue when trying to display at 1080p.

Mac[X-D];1032559162 said:
The Show Marketplace on the CBC (Canadian broadcasting Company) ran a consumer speacial on the up selling of expensive HDMI cables when buying HDTV's, they went under cover and what not bought the high end HDMI cables that were pushed on them, but they also went back and bought the cheap cables and ordered very cheap cables online. took them to thier tv tech guys and tested all the cables for signal quality, they ALL showed the same high quality signal through each cable, a $250 monster cable and a $10 no name cable had the same high quality signal. So don't ever beleive the hype about Monster Cables

Well, yeah, that would make sense. HDMI is digital which = signal or no signal. Signal 'quality' does not exist in a digital format.

I "rented" all my cables from Best Buy until I got the ones I ordered from Monoprice.com
The ones from (HDMI, and DVI/HDMI) gave me a horrible picture. When I got the new ones from monoprice the screen problems went away.

You must have changed the settings inbetween or it is psychological. What you described cannot really happen with a digital signal. The only thing that might give you symptoms like this is that you're using a really old HDMI 1.0 cable and the TV didn't like it.

I would also recommend monoprice cables as they have a great value and decent quality at worst. You really can't go wrong. Just buy an HDMI cable from them and it should be okay. I've had my component cable setup working for well over year on my TV and Satellite box with no hitches or problems with it. I think the cable cost me 8 bucks and is actually a pretty quality cable. Go for it dude, you can't lose out. You'll only save yourself a lot of cash and feel great about it.

lol I sound liek a damn salesman, but I am just a bit buzzed :D

Mac[X-D];1032559162 said:

So since i hate to wait for stuff to be shipped i have always bought the cheapest in store HDMI cables BB or Futureshop have, which is the dynex brand and i have had no issue with 4 i am currently using.

i would go into your display settings and make sure all the resolutions your TV supports are listed and you could try unchecking all but 720p and see if the same problems exsist it might be a issue when trying to display at 1080p.

like i said in my original post, the problem ONLY occurs when set at 1080p through HDMI. All other modes work beautifully with no problems so far as i can see. Also, the problem is usually at the main screen where you navigate pictures, video, games, all that stuff (the desktop of the PS3). It goes away the second u start any type of media, such as games or blu ray movies.

I cannot figure out what the problem is yet!

It could be any of the devices failing; sounds like a TV issue though, as the PS3 will generally have problems outputting at any resolution if it has problems at all. I'd switch out the cable first just to be safe.

Monster Cables has proven to not improve signal quality at all even for analog cables; in digital formats the markup is even more obscene, because as others have said, there is no such thing as a "bad signal" in a digital cable. It's either "signal" or "no signal." It's not like cables that cost 5% of what a Monster Cable does have holes in the shielding for the bits to leak out.

like i said in my original post, the problem ONLY occurs when set at 1080p through HDMI. All other modes work beautifully with no problems so far as i can see. Also, the problem is usually at the main screen where you navigate pictures, video, games, all that stuff (the desktop of the PS3). It goes away the second u start any type of media, such as games or blu ray movies.

I cannot figure out what the problem is yet!

sorry i must of over looked that, have you tried all the HDMI ports on your TV? maybe look through your TV's settings to see if there is something there that might be doing it.

but like finalgt said, i think its a TV issue not the PS3, do you have a buddy who has a 1080 TV you can test your PS3 on.

+1 for Monoprice.com. I'm a profession home theater tech and I've used their cables quite often, and they always pass 1080p without any problem. The ONLY time I use "name brand" cables is if I need a 50' cable to run up to a projector or something like that...

Stay away from Monster Cable...marketing crap...it's the Bose of the wire world.

Well, yeah, that would make sense. HDMI is digital which = signal or no signal. Signal 'quality' does not exist in a digital format.

That's not true. Even 0-1 signal is still transfered via psychical mediums and teoretically with enough noise could have "0" treated as "1" and the other way.

But it's impossible to notice on typical hdmi or dvi cables distances.

That's not true. Even 0-1 signal is still transfered via psychical mediums and teoretically with enough noise could have "0" treated as "1" and the other way.

But it's impossible to notice on typical hdmi or dvi cables distances.
Very true. Not sure where this "it's digital, cable quality doesn't matter" thing came from. It's just that, with digital transmission, you get much more leeway with the cable than you do with a comparable analog run...

Just get an hdmi cable from monoprice. I have a similar tv (50PZ85U) and they work great with it.

I ordered a HDMI 1.3 cable off ebay (yes i know) just for the interim until my buddy gets me a discounted monster cable from circuit city (he works there).

Like it's been mentioned above, don't waste the money on an overpriced digital cable. For most applications, that $5 cable from monoprice is going to work just as good as that $100 monster cable.

....they went under cover and what not bought the high end HDMI cables that were pushed on them, but they also went back and bought the cheap cables and ordered very cheap cables online. took them to thier tv tech guys and tested all the cables for signal quality, they ALL showed the same high quality signal through each cable, a $250 monster cable and a $10 no name cable had the same high quality signal. So don't ever beleive the hype about Monster Cables...

Monster makes a great product, and in some cases it's worth spending a little extra money. However, these days everything is digital and the only real difference between the cables are the connector. That monster cable probably has a much better connector than that $5 unbranded cable, but is it worth the extra $95?? Not for me.

Now, back in the day when we were trying to push the best signal we could over an analog cable, it was easy to tell the difference on with monster cables. The analog cables these days might be better than what was common a few years back, I've no clue. I haven't bought an analog cable in years!

When i turn the PS3 to HDMI mode, sometimes the picture gets artifacts and the screen flickers, but not always. Last night i got it to *finally* go to 1080p mode and it looked gorgeous, but the next time i turned on the console it was artifacting and flickering.

I had a similar problem with my PS3 when I first got it. I've got a 47" Westy and attached it VIA HDMI. THe picture would turn on and off, and I would actually see what appeared to be static at some points. I connected it via an analog connection and updated the firmware -- since then, I haven't had a single problem. I'm guessing my issue might have been HDCP related? Not 100% sure, I just know that the firmware updates made it 99% better. I still get the occasional few frames of static, but very very rarely. In fact, it's rare enough that I don't even think about it.

Did you update the firmware? If you don't have internet connectivity on the PS3, I believe you can download the firmware to a flash drive and apply it that way. I highly recommend it!!!!

how do i know which tv's have hdcp or not? I got a panasonic th-46pz80u....

and with new PS3 i will update the firmware, i just exchanged it yesterday and the problem is still happening (old PS3 was updated for sure)

Your TV appears to be able to handle HDCP, which I would have expected. Most, if not all, new TVs support it.

From this article:

Input And Output Notes

HDMI Inputs: The TH-46PZ80U has 2 rear-panel HDMI inputs and 1 front-panel HDMI input. Either HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the rear panel can be used with an HDMI-to-DVI adapter and the left and right RCA audio jacks (for the audio portion of the signal) of the TV's video input, if necessary. The front-panel HDMI input does not support HDMI-to-DVI conversion. All of the HDMI terminals can accommodate copy-protected digital signals (HDCP) from other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The HDMI inputs will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i inputs.

Which HDMI port were you plugging it into? I'd try HDMI1 if you're not.

99% guarantee you just need to update your ps3... TONS of people had that problem with the early firmwares of the ps3 including me

Hey guys, i just picked up a new Panasonic TH-46PZ80U 46" plasma 1080p HDTV, and i also got a PS3 with it. I ordered a HDMI 1.3 cable off ebay (yes i know) just for the interim until my buddy gets me a discounted monster cable from circuit city (he works there). However, i am having issues, and im not sure which is the culprit. When i turn the PS3 to HDMI mode, sometimes the picture gets artifacts and the screen flickers, but not always. Last night i got it to *finally* go to 1080p mode and it looked gorgeous, but the next time i turned on the console it was artifacting and flickering. I just dont get it. Would the problem be with the cable, the PS3 or the TV?

I had the exact same problem when I first got my ps3 and HD TV. I am 100% certain that the cable you got is not HDMI 1.3 certified.

I am willing to bet that if you run the PS3 in 1080i you will not have any artifacts. If thats the case then you can be sure that the cable is not HDMI 1.3 compliant. That being said, you do not have to spend ridiculous amounts on a cable, the one i eventually bought off ebay was only 30 AUD or so.

Uhhh. You might want to revise your "100% certain" metric. Every HDMI cable is 1.3 compliant. All of them. If you had a cable that didn't work, it's not because it wasn't 1.3 compliant - it's because it was done broke.

Uhhh. You might want to revise your "100% certain" metric. Every HDMI cable is 1.3 compliant. All of them. If you had a cable that didn't work, it's not because it wasn't 1.3 compliant - it's because it was done broke.

++1

What?? They upped the bandwidth when HDMI 1.3 rolled around. HDMI 1.3 cables are different than HDMI 1.0 cables. They are both backwards and forwards compatible with each other, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a 1.0 cable these days, but not every cable is 1.3 compliant...

Bullshit, not all HDMI cables are 1.3 compliant so dont go around spreading misinformation. The cable I got was only certified to run at 1080i, had no problems running on 1080i on the PS3, and had no problems running at 1080P on the xbox 360 which is only HDMI 1.2b.

Cable works fine except for 1080P on the PS3.

What?? They upped the bandwidth when HDMI 1.3 rolled around. HDMI 1.3 cables are different than HDMI 1.0 cables. They are both backwards and forwards compatible with each other, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a 1.0 cable these days, but not every cable is 1.3 compliant...

You are correct sir!

anyways, found out the problem was my ebay purchased cable. Got my cable from the monoprice.com site (i think thats what it was) and i havent had a problem since!

Yes, they upped the bandwidth. But all but the most poorly designed or manufactured "1.0" cables were able to handle the bandwidth increase without any changes whatsoever.

Back