Got a new server running, need ideas

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
My school finally gave me a copy of a MS server OS for the classes i will be taking soon, finally got a little server built....need ideas for stuff to do with it.

Like: how to setup ftp server?
how to set it up as a web host/server?

I have the whole Server '03 Library (datacenter, standard etc....)

Any tips/guides to have some fun with?

I also have server 00 if you guys think it would be better to switch to that.

*shrug* aren't you sposed to be going to school for this?

I don't know how to run the MS stuff, and frankly don't want to. I like running 2k for the os core, not for the server stuff which in my opinion stinks. I like running gene6 for ftp services, apache for http, etc etc.

FTP servers and Http servers are probably the most useful thing you could do. Read around a little bit in the 2K3 documentation and you'll find good tutorials on at least the built in FTP server stuff. Not sure about http, you may have to use Apache for that. Another fun thing to do with a server like that is run a Shoutcast internet radio thing so you could have that computer be the server and then have a client connect and play music and then everyone else on your LAN or the Internet could hear.

The version of IIS in 2K3 is significantly improved and begins in a much tighter configuration than previous versions; I would have no qualms about running that instead of Apache. Naturally, you need to make certain you're patching it regularly if you're running it.

Another app to consider is a VPN server, particularly nice if this computer lives behind a router / firewall.

Start with learning about Terminal Services/Remote Desktop Protocol so you can administer the box remotely.

To access the console session via RDP use "mstsc /console"
Start_Run_"mstsc /console"

it might not be too useful, but you could set up Active Directory. create some users, give them network space and group policy restrictions. might not be too much fun, but it would be good to know :)

theboohi said:
it might not be too useful, but you could set up Active Directory. create some users, give them network space and group policy restrictions. might not be too much fun, but it would be good to know :)

Definitely a good idea. Even if you don't plan on ever doing it the knowledge will come in handy.

What about an IRC server? Game server? Ventrilo server? Those are more reacreational but are still fun to do.

Back