got a new norco 4224 today and some surprises.

Master_shake_

Fully [H]
came with the 120mm fanwall and the tray for 2 ssds or 1 3.5 inch drive.

when i opened it i nearly fell over.

Case Norco RPC-4224
PSU Coolermaster Silent M 1000 watt PSU
Motherboard Sapphire Pure Black P67 Hydra
CPU Core i5 2400
RAM 2gb Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 1600mhz
Controller Cards LSI 9260 8i
Boot Drive OCZ Vertex 60gb SSD
Hard Drives 16 Toshiba DT01ACA200 RAID 6
Operating System Windows Home Server 2011
Voltaire Infniband Card

came with the 120mm fanwall and the tray for 2 ssds or 1 3.5 inch drive.

when i opened it i nearly fell over.

When I bought my Norco 4224, it came with the fans and hard drive tray. I was to lazy to send the tray I ordered separately back so now I have two.

I thought is was unusual to see the tray inside the box considering it wasn't listed on the site I ordered it from with the other items included with the RPC-4224 but I guess Norco decided to start including it and online sellers neglected to update their pages.

So, basically enough torque from the drives spinning up to crack the foundations of whatever building you put this beast in...

What's the difference between a SAS expander vs. A SAS card?

a sas card has a controller on it that can address the drives with either raid or jbod.

a sas expander takes the sas cards 4 ports and multiplies it.

so in my case a 9260-8i has 8 ports and my sas expander takes 4 ports from the sas controller and turns them in to 20 ports.

Why hardware raid over software? Sorry for all the questions...thanks again!

hardware raid is not dependent on a certain chipset or operating system if your board dies then what?

with hardware raid you can just take your array to another machine and no problems.

also speed is better.

So say I ran flexraid and my mother board died. Could I replace motherboard and it would still read it?

So if I'm going to run software raid in the norco 4224 what is the cheapest card I can use? Do I need a 6 port card or?

hardware raid is not dependent on a certain chipset or operating system if your board dies then what?

with hardware raid you can just take your array to another machine and no problems.

also speed is better.

You've got that backwards, hardware raid is dependant on the raid card you have and the array structures aren't always (or commonly) compatible between models let alone vendors.

Software raid (mdadm/zfs/flexraid/etc) are hardware agnostic, when you mention chipset/os you are thinking of fakeraid ala intel matrix storage/rst etc.

Back