Got a new monitor, need some Protips®

Welsper

Gawd
Just got a brand new (relative, anyway...its from 2002) monitor, a Sony HMD-A240, 17", 1024x768 native, 1280x1024 max resolution, I'm planning on using it as a secondary monitor alongside my Viewsonic G75F+ so I can finally join the dualie club. I need two things, though, drivers for it (else I'm limited to 60hz at 1280x1024, want to see if I can at least get 72 out of it), and I don't have a DVI to VGA converter...since this will be my first dualie setup, does anyone have any tips, suggestions, advice in general? (also a source for the drivers would be appreciated, I've checked a few places (Sony's website included), and they didn't have anything...the search feature on Sony's site wasn't even working :/ And what should I look for in a DVI > VGA converter?
Thanks

SJetski71 said:
Would this be the driver you're looking for? (monitor drivers are really just an .inf file) http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=HMDA240&upd_id=1199&os_id=7&ULA=YES

or just use this direct download link for the HMD A240 .inf file

Dvi to vga adapters: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&style=

I don't believe there's much quality difference between dvi~vga adapters, can't say for sure but i haven't heard of any.
Yup, that's the ticket, Sony's site wasn't letting me search for it :/ Thanks! :) Tried it on my other computer, though this might be a limitation of the shite gfx card on it, it could only pull 60hz at 1280x1024...flicker city o.x Any thoughts on if it would be possible to run it at at least 72hz without too much risk to the monitor? (I can uncheck the box in the display settings that says 'Hide modes that this monitor cannot display' and possibly risk cranking it to 72hz or so....Thanks again! :D Any other tips/suggestions welcome, as always

Bump? I'd like an answer to my question about running my monitor a bit out of spec.... :confused:

You can try it, it shouldn't explode into a firey ball or anything like that. If it cant accept the signal you'll find out pretty fast. It should display either an 'Out of scan range' message or nothing at all.

squeezee said:
You can try it, it shouldn't explode into a firey ball or anything like that. If it cant accept the signal you'll find out pretty fast. It should display either an 'Out of scan range' message or nothing at all.
Heh, I tried it on my 17" Viewsonic G75F, worked fine at 1600x1200 @ 70Hz, but when I tried for 72hz, it said out of range, and then it tried to revert back to 70hz, but it said out of range again :/, so I turned it off and back on, and it was fine (at 1600x1200 @ 70hz), weird...any idea why it'd do this? Anyway, I'll try 1280x1024 @ 70hz on my Sony next :D

Back