Got a grey screen issue? Blue screen? Try this!

I did some of the steps but it didn't seem to help.
How do you disable hdmi through the control panel? Also, I seem to be missing the area to change to windows 7 basic.

I did some of the steps but it didn't seem to help.
How do you disable hdmi through the control panel? Also, I seem to be missing the area to change to windows 7 basic.

I said all of the steps. All of these must be done combined.

Control panel, sound and audio devices, Ati High Definition Audio Device - right click, disable. And turning the theme to basic is right there. Right click, personalize, windows 7 basic.

Anyone try this? Why is nobody replying? So far with the 10.3a previews and this method, still no problems.

i did everything u listed shuttle
and nothing it still happend

and within 10 min of me playing wow

i have an athalon 2 620 quad core
4 gigs ocz ram
asus m4a785-m
sapphire radeon 5670 1 gig
win 7 ultimate 64 bit

Did you use 10.3a? I find it hard to believe really, mines been rock solid. What screen? grey or blue? I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I can't believe it. I tried this method multiple times, worked every time. This has been the definitive fix for me on this machine, first with the 10.3 drivers and now with the 10.3A drivers.

Last edited:
Why are you so adamant that this fix is universal?

Nobody seems to have a good idea of what is causing GSOD, including AMD/ATI.

It's great you found a solution that works for your system, but it's not going to fix everyone's issues (it didn't work for me either).

Did you use 10.3a? I find it hard to believe really, mines been rock solid. What screen? grey or blue? I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying I can't believe it. I tried this method multiple times, worked every time. This has been the definitive fix for me on this machine, first with the 10.3 drivers and now with the 10.3A drivers.

10.3a
grey screen

Seriously, do you think it's normal let a common user doing all you listed above to make a 300 € card worth working?

Having paid 300 € I would demand the card to plug itself in the case, leave apart the fact it shouldn't cause any trouble in normal use.

i still have black screen (then BSOD with driver failing to re-init) every few days.

ATI better have this fixed finally with the 10.3s...

Uh it's not really much actually. If you woulda read my post, it's basically changing the power option and another power setting inside that, and maybe a bios setting.

I read your post a couple of days ago, but I was enable to login dued to an issue of the forum. I remember it was about disabling hdmi and other misc things.

By the way I have a 5870 and I "fixed" underclocking the memory by 125MHz, not a true fix.

Underclocking is not necessary! I am telling you guys, I have fixed this. I am 99.9% sure. I have been gaming now for days hours on end, no matter what game or res or setting, no problems. My 5870 at one point exhibited grey and blue screen's every once in awhile. Now not once. I am starting to think it's something to do with the power play and active power management. Look in your bios' for active state power management option, L1's L0's and enable that. THEN set your win 7 power setting to high performance. THEN inside that power setting under pcie change it to maximum power management. Make sure HDMI is disabled as well.

Mine's never done it when gaming...

It does it absolutely randomly at the desktop...

If it's due to PP, ATi needs to fix it... If I'm not using HDMI, ATi should already have it disabled...

i found the correct bios for my sapphire hd 5670 and reflashed the card and have had 0 problems since
where before it was crashing ever 10-30 min

also im running catalyst 10.3b

Last edited:
Back