Got a free copy, should I play WoW?

That being said, I have 3 major things I hate about WoW (I guess this could be applied to all MMO's): The lengthy leveling grind, hours of farming, and long travel times. Basically, the things that were just eating the time I could be spending enjoying the game. The ideal place for me to enjoy WoW is a place that eliminates (or significantly reduces) these 3 things but leaves everything else in tact.

lengthy level grind? long travel times? Have you played wow? leveling couldn't be faster. I have yet to find an MMO with faster leveling, and i've played most of them.

And there are flight paths everywhere. Soon to be more paths and portals to many more locations. Getting around wow is quick and easy.

lengthy level grind? long travel times? Have you played wow? leveling couldn't be faster. I have yet to find an MMO with faster leveling, and i've played most of them.

And there are flight paths everywhere. Soon to be more paths and portals to many more locations. Getting around wow is quick and easy.

Apparently he dont want a game he wants a chat room with 3d avatars.

I agree WoW has fast leveling, but not fast enough for me, and there are plenty of flight paths, but I prefer to just teleport at will. ;)

I say no. They game hasn't been the same since BC was released. I played the game for 4 years off/on and honestly it was some good times. I had a mixture of IRL and online friends playing the game. I quit the game after playing the latest expansion. I found the game boring after completing the expansion content. I know they are releasing new content in the patches but it wasn't worth the sub to keep my interest in the game. I also found that all the mature wow players on my server left (Frostmane) and I did not like how Blizzard was catering to the casual player in the recent patches.

I have a friend that has been unemployed for a few months ask me to help him build a new rig just to play wow because his old machine broke down. He would not admit it because he says he is not addicted to wow but I know for fact that he needs to feed his addiction. I think it was a steep price to pay since that new rig cost him about 2 months of rent.

I would say no just because you are too late to the party. It was fun when there was still a sense of wonderment in the community, but now it is more like a boring grind. Don't bother with it.

This thread is funny and pathetic at the same time its like a bunch of alcoholics sitting in a bar telling people why they shouldnt drink. Its not wows fault you guys lack self control and made stupid choices.

Because youre the perfect human am i correct? You have no desires and have full control on your life and make no stupid choices right?

Like anything, if you want to excel at something then you do it. You can make money with wow just like you can make money fixing up your car or making tunes. There are people who suck at things and there are people who are good. Its like being an athlete (a pathetic athlete i mean), there are a crapload of good people who excel and there are a crapload of good people who are just good to be good. This is human nature. But hey, since youre a vulcan/elf/some other fictional character from any fantasy land that dont run on emotions, you wouldnt understand this.

Its a Brave New World we live in.

If you're really into exploring and socializing and have friends playing, there's no damage done for giving it a try. But if you're into the stories (and I guess you are from the games you listed), then you are going to be disappointed after a little while.

But still, worst thing that can happen is that you quit it again...

Alternatively take the free trail and register the game afterwards if you dig it.. :)

Because youre the perfect human am i correct? You have no desires and have full control on your life and make no stupid choices right?

Like anything, if you want to excel at something then you do it. You can make money with wow just like you can make money fixing up your car or making tunes. There are people who suck at things and there are people who are good. Its like being an athlete (a pathetic athlete i mean), there are a crapload of good people who excel and there are a crapload of good people who are just good to be good. This is human nature. But hey, since youre a vulcan/elf/some other fictional character from any fantasy land that dont run on emotions, you wouldnt understand this.

Its a Brave New World we live in.

This is honestly the stupidest fucking thing i have ever read on these forums.

I agree, this kid has never read a book, and most certainly not Aldous Huxley. No relevance to the book at all, if it was an analogy it was a terrible one... but it's not really analogous in any way...

And youre post is the stupidest thing ive ever read. Why are you making fun of us when your post doesnt have to do anything about the thread? Just here to crap i guess.

My mind was wandering and then i read that. I thought i wrote more than i did but i didnt.. i got lazy i guess.

I was thinking of how good we do what we like and how we like what we do. Then i thought of how we are in a consumerist society. But yeah, i was a thinking a little too abstract and i guess emotions got the best of me.

Your analogy is just as stupid. Alcoholics tell people at bars not to drink, but they still do it. were more like a WoWaholics anonymous (just as pathetic i guess), we try and forget the past and warn people of the dangers.

Its funny though, i was actually more fit when i played wow all day. Between queues i would do a quick circuit (30 or so minutes between each battleground) and ate mostly at home. Now that i have work and school its not as easy with time being the biggest issue... and money.

I played for two years about two years ago but I loved it and had some fantastic memories with friends. Some of the best gaming moments I have ever had. I say give it a shot. Nothing much to lose and a lot to gain. If you play more than originally intended then it's likely you are having fun and enjoying the game.

And youre post is the stupidest thing ive ever read. Why are you making fun of us when your post doesnt have to do anything about the thread? Just here to crap i guess.

No, he was here to point out how ridiculous all the responses are. WoW is entertaining and fun, OH NOEZ!!!

I wouldn't open the box. If you want to play, just download the trial. If you like it, then open the box and use the key from the box for your 30 free days.

As for the game itself, it was fun, but got boring. All the PVE content got nerfed and became too easy. World PVP pretty much died because it takes too long to travel from the expansion worlds to the old world. Instanced PVP became a boring because there are only 3 maps! And one of those essentially became a PVE race.

I liked WoW, I had a lot of fun and made some RL friends from it. (Granted they all worked with me, but before we rarely spoke, now we go to shows and drink beer together.) WoW is very polished, though the devs are still working on release day bugs. I quit back in December, I will likely not play it again.

I've been playing it again since the end of May (played during beta right until TBC and quit for about a year and a half - then played WOTLK at release, then took a little break) and it's a far better game than what it originally started out to be. Leveling is faster and easier and will be even more so come the next patch.

If you're into PvE, Ulduar is still a fun instance, especially trying to do hard modes on bosses. It's not way too easy as some make it out to be as a level of understanding is still required to kill the bosses.

PvP has its ups and downs in that one class may appear overpowered while others appear heavily underpowered. But WoW is an easy game to be good at, tough to master. If you want to casually play it you'll have no problem doing PvE or PvP.

But give it a try first before opening it.

As for the game itself, it was fun, but got boring. All the PVE content got nerfed and became too easy. World PVP pretty much died because it takes too long to travel from the expansion worlds to the old world. Instanced PVP became a boring because there are only 3 maps! And one of those essentially became a PVE race.

World pvp died because it sucked. It has absolutely nothing to do with travel time. Too long to get from expansion to old world? There are portals in shattrath and dalaran. But still, it has nothing to do with travel time.

I assume by instanced PvP you mean battlegrounds? There are 5 maps now. A 6th is coming in the next patch. More after that. I have no idea how they are a PvE race. PvE has nothing to do with them.

And wintergrasp is a non instanced PvP zone that is quite popular.

World pvp died because it sucked. It has absolutely nothing to do with travel time. Too long to get from expansion to old world? There are portals in shattrath and dalaran. But still, it has nothing to do with travel time.
Yes it does. When you are in the old world and a guildie calls for help, you went. When you are farming mats or questing in Outlands or Northrend, and that guildie calls for help in the old world, you say you are too busy. It is longer to get there to. You have to fly to that major city then use the portal, then fly to what ever zone. Then you have to hearth back, which sucks.

Also world pvp was better pre-Resilience stat.

I assume by instanced PvP you mean battlegrounds? There are 5 maps now. A 6th is coming in the next patch. More after that. I have no idea how they are a PvE race. PvE has nothing to do with them.
Yes instanced PVP are battlegrounds. When I quit, there were 4 (forgot the one they added with WotLK) and Wintergrasp.
Alterac Valley is/was a PVE race on many battle groups. You can often win that map with only fighting a few people. Half the time people ran by each other and did a /wave.

There are 2 choke points that occasionally made for some awesome fighting, but that was usually only done by preforms.

And wintergrasp is a non instanced PvP zone that is quite popular.

Yup, that was very fun but needs to be on a one hour timer imo.

well I’ve only played wow for a few months and well I kind of like the game sometimes but I get tired of doing the same shit to level all I’m doing is killing higher level monsters than me to get xp so I can level and some quests which also get boring. But I really don’t have time for this game anyways between work and school. but ones my month is done I will not pay to get back on it I will stop playing it myself I’m tired of playing this game is really gay sometimes well that’s it. I would get rid of it before is to late I think people that play that all day everyday don’t really have a life lol.

Yes it does. When you are in the old world and a guildie calls for help, you went. When you are farming mats or questing in Outlands or Northrend, and that guildie calls for help in the old world, you say you are too busy. It is longer to get there to. You have to fly to that major city then use the portal, then fly to what ever zone. Then you have to hearth back, which sucks.

Also world pvp was better pre-Resilience stat.

Yes instanced PVP are battlegrounds. When I quit, there were 4 (forgot the one they added with WotLK) and Wintergrasp.
Alterac Valley is/was a PVE race on many battle groups. You can often win that map with only fighting a few people. Half the time people ran by each other and did a /wave.

There are 2 choke points that occasionally made for some awesome fighting, but that was usually only done by preforms.

Yup, that was very fun but needs to be on a one hour timer imo.

guildies don't call for help. As no one is fighting world pvp. There needs to be a group there fighting in the first place and there just isn't. Anywhere. Even on PvP servers.

AV is not a PvE race at all. Everyone adheres to the tried and true strategy which involves alliance running to the end and capping towers and RH and then killing drek. It's rare to see a AV game won or lost by resources. But even so, it is a PvP map.

WoW is a really fun and addictive game. The coolest thing about it is the game is huge and you can really do whatever you want in it. Personally, I don't care about grinding for gear, PVP, or much of anything really. I play the game a few hours a week, and have a lot of fun with it. I don't raid or anything, just run around and do some of the seemingly millions of quests in the game. The dungeons can be really fun w/ a couple of friends.

The game is what you make of it. If you are the type that has to 'keep up' with the other players, ie. get the best gear, etc. you'll get sucked in and lose all normal life. If you are truly a casual player like me, then I don't think you'll get addicted.

DONT GET INTO WOW!!!!!!!

once you start, its next to impossible to stop, play another game instead ;)

guildies don't call for help. As no one is fighting world pvp. There needs to be a group there fighting in the first place and there just isn't. Anywhere. Even on PvP servers.
Guildies leveling alts and getting ganked call for help. Tarren Mill/Southshore this still happens on PVP servers occasionally. When a guildie called for help and the calvary shows, the ganker would then often call his guildies in and then some nice group pvp actions happens. Well at least that is what use to happen. That type of world PVP died.

Or the world pvp where a high level rogue would use a guildies low level alt as bait. I use to love being bait in Tanaris.

AV is not a PvE race at all. Everyone adheres to the tried and true strategy which involves alliance running to the end and capping towers and RH and then killing drek. It's rare to see a AV game won or lost by resources. But even so, it is a PvP map.

Running to the end, capping towers guarded by NPCs and killing Drek a named NPC, sure does sound like a PVE race to me. Yes AV is a PVP battleground, but it is won by a PVE race. Those rare times you see it won by resources, that is when real PVP actually happened.

Guildies leveling alts and getting ganked call for help. Tarren Mill/Southshore this still happens on PVP servers occasionally. When a guildie called for help and the calvary shows, the ganker would then often call his guildies in and then some nice group pvp actions happens. Well at least that is what use to happen. That type of world PVP died.

Or the world pvp where a high level rogue would use a guildies low level alt as bait. I use to love being bait in Tanaris.

Running to the end, capping towers guarded by NPCs and killing Drek a named NPC, sure does sound like a PVE race to me. Yes AV is a PVP battleground, but it is won by a PVE race. Those rare times you see it won by resources, that is when real PVP actually happened.

I have not seen any world pvp since vanilla wow. Not in years. People just don't do it. And if you are setting up as bait then your guildies are there and travel time is not an issue.

It did NOT die because of travel time. It died because no one cares. There is no point to it anymore. Ask around on the official forums yourself.
Back then there were no BG's. Those were patched in over time. And then people got there pvp fix in places they could get rewards from it.

And I still don't see AV as a PvE race. There are people you fight on the way down. There are some horde at the towers. And you also have D at the top of the map. It's one of my favorite maps.

Last edited:
If you have the free time and you have some friends to play with then yeah try the game out it can be a lot of fun.

I started playing again now that I have free time on my hands and it's been a lot of fun leveling my character and running around in all the new wotlk areas I never saw before (I stopped playing before BC came out, back when it took days just to get to level 40)

I have not seen any world pvp since vanilla wow. Not in years. People just don't do it. And if you are setting up as bait then your guildies are there and travel time is not an issue.

It did NOT die because of travel time. It died because no one cares. There is no point to it anymore. Ask around on the official forums yourself.
Back then there were no BG's. Those were patched in over time. And then people got there pvp fix in places they could get rewards from it.

And I still don't see AV as a PvE race. There are people you fight on the way down. There are some horde at the towers. And you also have D at the top of the map. It's one of my favorite maps.

World pvp is happening constantly because of the black war bear achievement. Its not the same as it used to be but it is happening a hell of alot more than it was in TBC.

Or the world pvp where a high level rogue would use a guildies low level alt as bait. I use to love being bait in Tanaris. .
You're also talking about when people had to zone into AV from their respective portals and when DKs were still in the game.

Also when not many people at capped level alts as well. Now when you see somebody leveling up it's most likely someone's alt rather than a new player. So they can just jump on their level 80 and attempt to kill the person killing them.

World PvP was very short lived and really doesn't offer much. Risk? Reward?

It's funny how on every MMO I've played, everyone talks about world PvP and how amazing it is (was or can be) but that's almost never the case.

Games evolve and so does the game play. WoW 3.1 is ten times better than it was when the game was first released.

World pvp is happening constantly because of the black war bear achievement. Its not the same as it used to be but it is happening a hell of alot more than it was in TBC.

well yeah, that's true. But it's not in the world pvp locations set up by the devs such as sithilus and epl. Nor the locations people did just because such as tarren mill/southshore.

They do the achievement just because they get something from it. Otherwise they wouldn't do it at all.
I did see a mass of horde bodies in ironforge last night.

well yeah, that's true. But it's not in the world pvp locations set up by the devs such as sithilus and epl. Nor the locations people did just because such as tarren mill/southshore.

They do the achievement just because they get something from it. Otherwise they wouldn't do it at all.
I did see a mass of horde bodies in ironforge last night.

I dunno on my server theres a group of about 10 that weekly gather up people and raid all of the cities. You cant really expect the old world PVP zones to stay populated because even then they didnt do it for the pvp they did it for the rewards, if it was about the fun world pvp they would still be there.

Wintergrasp is more active then the old world pvp zones ever where it just has a really long timer.

I had contemplated picking up WoW a while back and received the same responses that I see here. Glad I stayed away.

One of the most successful MMO's in history is also the worst MMO in history.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

If you had a social life outsider your computer, you might as well call those people in that circle and tell them you died.
signature_distory.jpg

God, haha what a bunch of losers. I can't believe there are so many of you with no self control. "Throw it out man, it's like crack omg! omg!" HAHAHA.

some people have addiction issues. If it wasn't wow it would be something else, another MMO, who knows. I rarely play. And I cancel all the time, whenever I get bored. And come back at a later date if the mood strikes me.
In fact I just cancelled my wow subscription. Currently playing warhammer a little bit.

Most don't have issues managing game time and other responsibilities.

Last edited:
a pic is worth a thousand words

evolution.jpg

It reads: "the evolution of a WoW gamer" :D

a pic is worth a thousand words

evolution.jpg

It reads: "the evolution of a WoW gamer" :D

Unfortunately people including you are too ignorant and gullible to realize that image is fake and is actually the REVERSE of someone being fat and then becoming skinny.

Unfortunately people including you are too ignorant and gullible to realize that image is fake and is actually the REVERSE of someone being fat and then becoming skinny.

hehehe :D
i'm not saying it's real :rolleyes:

given the thread topic, i just posted a funny pic :cool:

Another recommendation to not start. I used to play a lot doing high end raiding, I have even quit twice but have always reactivated my account. The last time I did I vowed to never set foot in a raid instance again. I only log on when a buddy of mine wants to do arena which ends up being a maximum of twice a week for a few hours. I now consider myself a very casual player, but I can only achieve this because arena is currently the only part of the game that interests me. Honestly the day I stopped logging in every day for multiple hours was a huge relief. This game can eat away days of your life.

Back