got a few questions on this board.

dtess17

2[H]4U
i just got my DFI-SLI-DR board today. I'm pretty happy first time with DFI and i hope it's a positive one.

now i have a few questions:

i notice there are jumpers for SLI which my last board did not have, i use multi monitors and only turn on SLI when i game via the nvidia control pannel. So do i just move the jumpers to the SLI mode and keep doing everything via the software? and enable/disable SLI in the pannel? or am i going to have to mess with this stupid jumper all the time?

also i notice somewhere in all my stuff there is this weird black thing that kinda looks like a nutcracker, and it has to little prongs at the ends...what is this? at first i thought it was for the wire sleeving kit included but it came right in my mobo box, not the big box everything else came in.

and one final how good is the karajan audio on this board? better than most onboard audio? Could i wait to get a sound card or will i need one at all?

I beleive that you need to change the jumper to get full x16 SLi for the board in SLi mode. The little "tweezer" looking thing is a CMOS chip remover or jumper remover. Just put there for ease of changing items. I haven't heard anything about the Karajan sound so I could not tell you but i have been running off the Alctek (sp) onboard sound off my NF7-S for over 4 yrs now and I dont see a difference between that and a seperate sound card.

sweet thanks for the quick reply.
i'll change those jumpers now.

looking forward to this build although i am a little put off by the lack of space between the pci-e slots...much smaller than on my asus sli premium board...but i guess that's the price i pay for wanting more overclocking features.

i'm pretty impressed with this package.
wire sleeving kit. weird tweexer things, strap to carry your case around. theat frontX thing, bunch of UV stuff, and a mobo. Not too shabby.

now if the rest of my stuff would come here i could get this thing together.

Yeah DFI is known for that and their "tweakability." Hopefully you will be very satisfied with your board once you get the rest of your components. I just got my stuff today and cant wait to run home and gut my machine!!!!

i'm just wating for the case, and the water cooling.
i'm really hoping i can get this chip to 3.0
i figure with the better MB, and much better cooling shouldn't be an issue.

What type of ram did you get for it? Remember, DFI boards are very picky as to what they like, normally corsair and OCZ. Hopefully, you got a PSU and ram from those companies or you may run into problems.

PS is an enermax liberty 620.
Ram is G.Skill DDR500

those were just left over from a different build. Damn well better work.

Think you are ok with the PS but not sure how DFI likes G.Skill. I know I have read alot of reviews where people were having problems because of the boards not liking ram or psu... Best bet is to go to DFIstreet.com and ask on those forums

as far as i know the ram is fine.
i talked to a few people with the board and they haven't run into any problems.
very much looking forward to getting this thing going.

gregnash...if you hadn't pointed out how much smaller the space between the pci-e slots were i wouldn't have thought about it, I tried to get everything all set up today, and i could see that i wouldn't be able to get any aftermarket heatsinks with the cards the way they were.
also i couldn't fit my soundcard where i needed it because of a fan in my case.

i just bought the expert about 5 min ago. I should have just gone that way in the first place.

LOL no problem. The DFI boards can be setup kinda funky at points. That was one of the downfalls that most reviews found with that particular board, that I can remember other than the memory and PSU finickyness.

Atleast for the time being you can use the DR and have a computer to run. The bios and everything will pretty much be the same so when you change boards you will not have to worry about going through the hassle of reloading windows and all the "fun." Just get your system up and running with one card for the time being and then when the new board gets to you, just swap boards and wahlah, you are ready to go.!

gregnash said:
LOL no problem. The DFI boards can be setup kinda funky at points. That was one of the downfalls that most reviews found with that particular board, that I can remember other than the memory and PSU finickyness.

Atleast for the time being you can use the DR and have a computer to run. The bios and everything will pretty much be the same so when you change boards you will not have to worry about going through the hassle of reloading windows and all the "fun." Just get your system up and running with one card for the time being and then when the new board gets to you, just swap boards and wahlah, you are ready to go.!

I'm not gonna even bother setting it up. I'm just gonna pack it all up and add it to my growing for sale thread. I have the computer i am typing on now to use untill i get everything else set up. It's weird i have basically 5 computers in my room right now, but only one is set up and ready for use. Once i set up my two machines i'm just gonna part everything else out. I think it's time to ditch some of the older Intel stuff.

Once all the smoke clears i should have two AMD based systems.

DFI expert, Opty 170, raptor 150, and maybe a 7950 GX2 all watercooled with a swiftech apex. This will be my gaming rig

second rig will have a Asus Sli-Premium, 3200+, and as many hard drives as i can fit.
most likely use a 7800gt for this rig. General use and mass file storage.

WOW... as 7800gt for a mass storage machine. Your mass storage machine is putting my everyday/gamer machine to shame. LOL but to each his own. Hopefully, everything will go well for you and you will make your money back on the items that you do sell. GL and have fun with your new "toys" :cool:

yeah the vid card is overkill, but i already have it. I guess i could sell it and get something a little more modest...but then again this is [H]ard forum is it not?

LOL... actually I have a 7600GS (passively cooled) and I must say that it performs quite well. No more whiny fans for me except the processor, psu and case fans. And even with that I cant really tell the computer is running while Im sitting at the desk. I so love this new computer!!!

passive huh? interesting. I haven't seen that on a gpu in a long time
i only see one problem with your system...your running the proc at stock speeds!
c'mon now, that is just crazy! let's see some OC'ing action on that.

Oh dont worry the o/c is to come. I just havent had a chance to do anything with it, considering I built the system about 3 days ago. I haven't even had a chance to import all my old bookmarks yet. Thats how behind I am.

Once I do I will see what she can do, from what I have heard I should be able to get some decent overclocks outta her with stock voltages.

The passively cooled card is very cool. I was very interested in it since it was a considered a mid-range card, basically a underclocked 7600GT. I have read reviews where they were able to hit 7600GT speeds very easily without heating things up too much. Puts out better performance than my old ATI 9500pro, which I love. Once I get a chance I will do some overclocking on everything to see what my stepping is capable of.

fair enough, i didn't realize it was so new.
hopefully your chip is a real monster and get up there.

i know my opty 170 get's a pretty fair OC i hit 2.8 on air, with only a small voltage bump on my old mobo. WIth the watercooling and DFI i think it should scale real well.

i don't expect much from the 3200+ i just picked up, wasn't a great stepping...but i'll give it a shot.

Back