Got a 5850. Should I Keep It?

I love people who go on about "doing the right thing".... what makes you think many company really "do the right thing" for their customers (price gouging and such), yeah a single 5850 is a drop in the bucket to them...so I say keep it.

DUDE, KEEP IT. and figure out how to fuck them worse in the future. Welcome to the amorality of capitalism. Welcome brother, leave your faithful shoes on the promontory.

Who gives if it's the company or you, or who's affected by it. No, you aren't taking food off of Michael Dell's plate, but at the end of the day it's still stealing something.

There may not be repercussions for the actions, but it's still thievery.

So yeah, feel free to keep the beast ass card, as long as you don't pretend like you're not doing anything wrong.
Exactly.

This post just made my day. It might go in my sig, lmao.

dude you don't know how great that is. the fact that I contributed to anyone's life is a miracle in its own right. that i did it on hardforums, god. Kyle's probably just besides himself with joy.
i've sent that guy a "fuck you, merry christmas" email 2 years now, and hes a good sport.

Who gives if it's the company or you, or who's affected by it. No, you aren't taking food off of Michael Dell's plate, but at the end of the day it's still stealing something.

There may not be repercussions for the actions, but it's still thievery.

So yeah, feel free to keep the beast ass card, as long as you don't pretend like you're not doing anything wrong.

I wish I could eat off Michael Dell's plate, but I think he'd hate to lose all that weight.

edit: just delete this, this was a waste of space. i'm punching myself in the ass right this minute in embarrassment. i'm just drunk enough to hate what i wrote.

No, what I wrote was NOT awesome. Not insightful, i'm just drunk. I am not your lord.

edit: Happy new year!

I'm the type that if given incorrect change, I don't pocket it I give it back.
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

If he hasn't paid for a product, how's that investing?

The trouble with "do unto others" is that everybody is "doing unto you first" from the government, to the telco providers, to the electricity company, to the coffee shop...... 98% of the world's population is out for themselves, and themselves alone.

You just weaken your own argument when complaining about being ripped off.

That's why I quoted JinxyBoi's post.

A wise man once said to be good for goodness's sake. Either a wise man, or Santa Claus. Or maybe it was someone singing about Santa Clause.

Anyhoo, that should really be all there is to it. Be that one guy keeping Sodom from burning to the ground if there really must be some kind of validation to being clean.

I'm the type that if given incorrect change, I don't pocket it I give it back.
Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

If he hasn't paid for a product, how's that investing?

You should be the type that if given incorrect change you run away giggling.

A wise man once said to be good for goodness's sake. Either a wise man, or Santa Claus. Or maybe it was someone singing about Santa Clause.

Anyhoo, that should really be all there is to it. Be that one guy keeping Sodom from burning to the ground if there really must be some kind of validation to being clean.

that was most definitely said by no one but it should be said by eveyrone. sodom made sodomy, and I did it once, and it was excellent.

You just weaken your own argument when complaining about being ripped off.

That's why I quoted JinxyBoi's post.

When you're just about ready to be done getting fucked, I'm going to eat your kids. ha ha just kidding :p

The issue about giving it back is shipping. If it's their error, you should not have to pay to have them correct it. They should at the very least give you a shipping label to send it back, if not screw them.

PhysX is an implementation of physics, but not the only one (as you mentioned euphoria).

PhysX is exclusive to nVidia, but other physics engines are not exclusive.

In short
PhysX != physics

Back on topic. I'd only ship it back if they paid for the shipping to send it back, otherwise you should not have to pay shipping for their error.

Just to clairfy a bit more. PhysX can be run on a CPU or on a GPU supporting CUDA, which IS exclusive to nVidia (aka: Hardware Physx) the software (cpu) implimentation doesn't care what video card you have, it will run. Need For Speed: Shift for example uses software Physx.

So you canceled your order of 5850 but it came to you anyway? I say you hold on to it to see if you get charged for it. If not, just forget about returning it, put up your GTX260 for sale and use your 5850 for gaming.

You can easily make $200 off your GTX260 in fleabay, or at worst, $150. Still a decent price for a decent GPU. And it does help that the 5850 spanks the 260 in every test. And it has eyefinity, which is always good. ;)

So you canceled your order of 5850 but it came to you anyway? I say you hold on to it to see if you get charged for it. If not, just forget about returning it, put up your GTX260 for sale and use your 5850 for gaming.

You can easily make $200 off your GTX260 in fleabay, or at worst, $150. Still a decent price for a decent GPU. And it does help that the 5850 spanks the 260 in every test. And it has eyefinity, which is always good. ;)

OR you could send them your gtx260 back "by accident" and fuck them on return shipping! :D Take that Mick Dell!

OR you could send them your gtx260 back "by accident" and fuck them on return shipping! :D Take that Mick Dell!

You could do that, but then that would be poking the hornets nest with a stick. Maybe they won't come for you, maybe they will. I'd be leery of mocking a multi-billion dollar company... that has a team of rabid lawyers and accountants on retainer just for events like this (maybe not, but hey, they're there for a reason).

better yet, if you dont get charged for it, then they probably have no record of it...you should call them and tell them you never got it and you want your money back..then you get the card and 300 bucks

rahahahahaha

meh, dell fucked up, keep the card. not your fault they have monkeys working in the shipping department

I ordered a 5850 through our Dell company account manager in November but cancelled the order on Dec. 7th when I read that shipment had been delayed until after Christmas. Then today I received a Dell box with a 5850 in it. I'm on the fence whether to keep it, sell it, or send it back. I'd keep it if I knew I wouldn't be billed for it, <snip>

You are not the first person this has happened to. I think some compines used to do it on purpose,and hence the government stepped in and made a rule.
I think as long as you can prove you canceled the order:
FTC LINK

Unordered Merchandise

If you receive merchandise you didn&#8217;t order, federal law says you can consider it a gift. You can&#8217;t be forced to pay for the item or return it.

If you decide to keep the merchandise, you may want to send the seller a letter stating your intention, even though you&#8217;re not legally obligated to do so. Your letter may discourage the seller from sending you repeated bills, or it may clear up an error. It&#8217;s a good idea to send the letter by certified mail and keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter. These records will help you establish later, if necessary, that you didn&#8217;t order the merchandise.

Two types of merchandise may be sent legally without your consent: free samples that are clearly marked as such; and merchandise mailed by charities asking for contributions. In either case, you may keep the shipments.

Last edited:
You are not the first person this has happened to. I think some compines used to do it on purpose,and hence the government stepped in and made a rule.
FTC LINK

Unordered Merchandise

If you receive merchandise you didn’t order, federal law says you can consider it a gift. You can’t be forced to pay for the item or return it.

If you decide to keep the merchandise, you may want to send the seller a letter stating your intention, even though you’re not legally obligated to do so. Your letter may discourage the seller from sending you repeated bills, or it may clear up an error. It’s a good idea to send the letter by certified mail and keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter. These records will help you establish later, if necessary, that you didn’t order the merchandise.

Two types of merchandise may be sent legally without your consent: free samples that are clearly marked as such; and merchandise mailed by charities asking for contributions. In either case, you may keep the shipments.
+1. Thanks for posting this.

FTC LINK

Unordered Merchandise

If you receive merchandise you didn’t order, federal law says you can consider it a gift. You can’t be forced to pay for the item or return it.

If you decide to keep the merchandise, you may want to send the seller a letter stating your intention, even though you’re not legally obligated to do so. Your letter may discourage the seller from sending you repeated bills, or it may clear up an error. It’s a good idea to send the letter by certified mail and keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter. These records will help you establish later, if necessary, that you didn’t order the merchandise.

Excellent information. I have files on all the things I didn't know that I learned online, and this is going in there.

Back