Got a 390x, what do you want to see?

First of all people need to stop going off of best buy price points. It's a retail store with more markups on certain items. It's obviously not going to retail for 450. If it does I will eat my words but I'm virtually certain it won't sell for that price online (which is where I'd imagine most people buy discreet gpus).

Yea, just looked at a 290x at Best Buy and it was like $370 while the same make model was like $260 at Newegg with a $30 rebate. Never buy anything at Best Buy without checking anywhere else first.

Yea, just looked at a 290x at Best Buy and it was like $370 while the same make model was like $260 at Newegg with a $30 rebate. Never buy anything at Best Buy without checking anywhere else first.

but i think that bestbuy has the same MSRP on things when things are still new and recently launched...

sure, by now they're not the competitive price.

I don't think the price for a 390x should be 400.

I think it should target a price of 350. That would put it in direct competition with the 970, which with the increased vram it beats at above 1080p gaming in many cases. Remember shadows of mordor? 6GB of vram? at ONLY 1080p? Even if that was due to aggressive caching, there can still be a use for some of the more sloppily coded games.

If you were forced to use either a 970 or 390x in your system for the next 1-2 years, what card would you prefer? If you were going to stick to the 1080p ghetto it might not matter and you could just stick to the 970, at least the gameworks gimping would have fewer performance knives in your cards back. But more than that? What about games making greater use of ram? Higher resolution textures? What about mod packs with higher resolution textures?

Seriously guys? None of you who play games like skyrim use mods that use more resources than the base amount? You SERIOUSLY telling me that you'd choose a 970 for essentially the same cost with those memory constraints going forward?

THAT should be the primary target of the 390x and it CAN be if they price it around 350. Variations of the fury should go after the 980/980ti/titanx.

That would be pretty disappointing compared to the 290 launch. Remember R9 290 wasn't much slower than the original Titan (5% slower on average at 1440p+). And it only cost $400.

Those prices wouldn't shake anything up which is unusual for an AMD launch. But I do agree they are realistic and may even be higher, AMD seems to be changing its strategy. We will have to get used to higher GPU prices, I guess.

In a sense I'd argue the prices were "pre-shaken" already. 980 Ti should really have been $699 (or even $749), but clearly nVidia decided to price it extremely aggressively to leave little wiggle room for AMD.

I mean in contrast the 780 was about 8-10% slower than Titan and cost $649. The 780 Ti was an anomaly as it was a response to the 290X, so I don't think we should use its price as any kind of reference. Oh and keep in mind the 780 and 780 Ti only had 3GB vram, which was a pretty huge catch, and brilliant move on nVidia's part.

but i think that bestbuy has the same MSRP on things when things are still new and recently launched...

sure, by now they're not the competitive price.

Well, it may be to high when it first comes out but it should be almost as fast as the 980 and thats a $500 card.

I don't think the price for a 390x should be 400.

I think it should target a price of 350. That would put it in direct competition with the 970, which with the increased vram it beats at above 1080p gaming in many cases. Remember shadows of mordor? 6GB of vram? at ONLY 1080p? Even if that was due to aggressive caching, there can still be a use for some of the more sloppily coded games.

If you were forced to use either a 970 or 390x in your system for the next 1-2 years, what card would you prefer? If you were going to stick to the 1080p ghetto it might not matter and you could just stick to the 970, at least the gameworks gimping would have fewer performance knives in your cards back. But more than that? What about games making greater use of ram? Higher resolution textures? What about mod packs with higher resolution textures?

Seriously guys? None of you who play games like skyrim use mods that use more resources than the base amount? You SERIOUSLY telling me that you'd choose a 970 for essentially the same cost with those memory constraints going forward?

THAT should be the primary target of the 390x and it CAN be if they price it around 350. Variations of the fury should go after the 980/980ti/titanx.

This is the issue I have with this line of reasoning, it basically puts zero pressure on AMD to bring the market forward. You should be asking for more for the same price.

You know how everyone keeps saying how Nvidia would be stagnant with its new releases with no AMD. Or how Intel already stagnant its new releases due to lack of competition from AMD. Oddly look what people are accepting from AMD here?

Also I hope you are prepared to make the same VRAM argument against Fiji.

I'm sorry I can't see how if you told tell people that this is what you could have looked forward to 6 months ago there would have been had any excitement back then.

I don't see VRAM being an issue with the Fury cards because there's so much more bandwidth. Besides, an 8GB version will eventually be released.

I don't see VRAM being an issue with the Fury cards because there's so much more bandwidth. Besides, an 8GB version will eventually be released.

Bandwidth doesn't mean much when you have to access system memory. Good thing people spend over $500 on a GPU to set texture quality lower in their games.

Bandwidth doesn't mean much when you have to access system memory. Good thing people spend over $500 on a GPU to set texture quality lower in their games.

This.

I hope there's some special magic that I'm not seeing. I've been very happy with my AMD cards (7970, R9 290), but I'm very very skeptical of a 4GB Fiji card.

This.

I hope there's some special magic that I'm not seeing. I've been very happy with my AMD cards (7970, R9 290), but I'm very very skeptical of a 4GB Fiji card.

They have probably always had the ability to tweak the amount of vram needed in the drivers for a long time.....but they were happy to make the huge mark ups on the cards with double the vram......guess well find out soon

I'm just curious how they're going to market a 4GB flagship against an 8GB rebrand.

This is the issue I have with this line of reasoning, it basically puts zero pressure on AMD to bring the market forward. You should be asking for more for the same price.

You know how everyone keeps saying how Nvidia would be stagnant with its new releases with no AMD. Or how Intel already stagnant its new releases due to lack of competition from AMD. Oddly look what people are accepting from AMD here?

I'm sorry I can't see how if you told tell people that this is what you could have looked forward to 6 months ago there would have been had any excitement back then.

You could look at it as AMD being stagnant because nvidia is still not destroying their old cards

I think HBM 4GB should be fine. May be with HBM and how it works with the GPU the ram can quickly store and dumb data unlike traditional setup. I am pretty sure if AMD thought it wasn't enough they wouldn't be making this card all about 4k gaming.

Also it is so true that even with AMD eating losses they have some how remained competitive even with 970 and 980 series at the price point. I mean nvidia never really blew them out of water. May be in power consumption they did but other than that performance has been quiet similar at the price level AMD is competing. I think next year we will see real next gen cards.

I have said before, the 8GB Hawaii cards are not selling. If AMD thinks they can shoehorn everyone into buying 8GB 390s and 390X's, their sales will suffer.

It doesn't matter how reasonably priced they are... If they are 1 cent more expensive than the 970, it's game over for AMD.

Concur 100%. They're trying to get people to buy a card that's been available for 6 months already at the same price -- the 290x 8gb.

VRAM usage screenshot in Grand Theft Auto V with everything maxed out in resolutions 1080p, 1440p, UHD, 4K

Sad - and to make it worse they are replacing 280X with 4GB Tonga ?

I think HBM 4GB should be fine. May be with HBM and how it works with the GPU the ram can quickly store and dumb data unlike traditional setup. I am pretty sure if AMD thought it wasn't enough they wouldn't be making this card all about 4k gaming.

Also it is so true that even with AMD eating losses they have some how remained competitive even with 970 and 980 series at the price point. I mean nvidia never really blew them out of water. May be in power consumption they did but other than that performance has been quiet similar at the price level AMD is competing. I think next year we will see real next gen cards.

4GB is generally perfectly fine HBM or not until you start using 4K or bigger and even then only with higher AA settings.

In a sense I'd argue the prices were "pre-shaken" already. 980 Ti should really have been $699 (or even $749), but clearly nVidia decided to price it extremely aggressively to leave little wiggle room for AMD.

I mean in contrast the 780 was about 8-10% slower than Titan and cost $649. The 780 Ti was an anomaly as it was a response to the 290X, so I don't think we should use its price as any kind of reference. Oh and keep in mind the 780 and 780 Ti only had 3GB vram, which was a pretty huge catch, and brilliant move on nVidia's part.

Yeah, a brilliant move in that my brother paid $650 for a 780 (3GB RAM) a ways back and now effectively has a paperweight if he gets a 4k monitor,. I guess shafting consumers is brilliant. But hey they eat it up.

Although as poorly as Nvidia GPU's age it's probably a moot point about the low VRAM. A 780 is probably benching like a 280X or something in the newest games.

Fury new tech establishing the framework for the next die shrink.
Not sure what people expect a new $300 980ti card?
That will start to happen on 14/16nm which will be 4 years of development and such until someone figure out to shrink to 10nm in a better way

Yeah, a brilliant move in that my brother paid $650 for a 780 (3GB RAM) a ways back and now effectively has a paperweight if he gets a 4k monitor,. I guess shafting consumers is brilliant. But hey they eat it up.

Although as poorly as Nvidia GPU's age it's probably a moot point about the low VRAM. A 780 is probably benching like a 280X or something in the newest games.

It's a brilliant business move, because it baked in planned obsolescence. Yes it's terrible for the consumer no argument about that, but you have to respect that shrewdness.

Actually to be 100% fair I recall they did release a 780 6GB version, but I have no recollection when that was released, how widely available it was, and what the premium for that extra 3GB of vram was.

VRAM usage screenshot in Grand Theft Auto V with everything maxed out in resolutions 1080p, 1440p, UHD, 4K

Please try this one out ASAP, its urgent for me!

HA! yes, I can remember exactly how everyone was very hyped and praised that 780 and 780ti, everyone doing multi GPU setup like crazy!

Can the OP comment on price of the card?

Yes what is the price buddy?

This.

Fiji is supposed to include the lossless delta color compression like tonga, so that may help out with the memory requirements. I actually don't know whether being limited to 4GB is compensated for by that better color compression and HBM, that remains to be determined. It will be interesting to see benchmarks with shadows of mordor since that is the game that tasks cards to have more vram.

This is a larger critique of AMD for not being more aggressive in updating their entire gpu lineup more quickly. I agree with that completely. They needed tonga across the line last year, and whatever fiji brings this year. Why they did not do that I do not know, but it may have to do with a lack of capital and having to pick their battles (i.e. waiting for an entire refresh across the line for an actual die shrink with arctic islands next year).

But answer this. Did you expect the r9 290x to go away once fiji hit? That did not happen for the 7970, why would you expect it to happen with the 290x?

Last point. If the ONLY thing amd was doing was releasing was rebadges, you would have a stronger case. Can we stop pretending that the fury card(s) does not exist? We still don't even know concrete details on how many variants there will be, how fast each version will be, and what price point they will drop at. Both amd and nvidia have moved the gpu market forward quite a bit for being stuck on 28nm for so long. AMD ignited the low overhead movement that is now baked into dx12 and vulkan. Nvidia has focused on raw performance and lowest power usage. You want fireworks and a sea change? Then get on globalfoundries/TSMC's ass for being so late to the 14nm/16nm party.

No I did not expect a top to bottom refresh of new architectures. None of the reasonable information would've suggested this but rather likely only one new GPU at the highest end.

However I did not expect, and after thinking about I'm pretty sure this is a first, everything to be repriced higher. This is the key issue here. It's a lack of progress (arguably going in reverse) and I think its fair to call this out.

Regarding Fiji I have not commented either way regarding it since there is not enough information to critique. I've also mentioned elsewhere that whether or not the 4GB VRAM is an issue depends upon the entire context and judgement at this point is jumping to conclusions. However I do feel the VRAM issue needs to be consistent especially since Fiji is positioned higher.

GF/TSMC being behind is a bit of a redirection I feel. If you look at R9 285 and GTX 970, one of those clearly took the initiative to push prices down while the other did not.

I'll go back to 7xx and 2xx as well. Nvidia pushed down prices with the 7xx series, and guess how AMD responded with the 2xx? The 2xx series also pushed down prices. Except this time around it looks like Nvidia pushed down prices with 9xx series, and AMDs responding 3xx release will stay stagnant if not move backwards? This is where the disappointment lies. Not that they did not offer 50%+ more performance at the same price (2xx only had relatively marginal improvements but they were there) but it seems like there is nothing at all.

Anyways we'll see whether or not that is actually confirmed once street pricing is fully available however the data sure seems to be looking that way currently.

Rebrands in 200 series were also used to infate price

280X that replaced 7970Ghz was more expensive that going prices of 7970 and 7950 dissapeared for months from lineup before being reborn as 280.

How loud is it? I remember 290x black being the loudest of the bunch. Its cooler was too weak to keep at low Temps, while staying below 50db. MSI or Asus were far superior solutions. So did they learn this time, or is it unusable for someone who can't stand too much noise?

PCB comparison (vs 290X).

http://i.imgur.com/rZBw3U9.png

H66ZrcT.gif

Assuming thats genuine, its the same card.
(ah seems a few pages have gone by since your post, my bad :p)

Mtrai gave it a shot here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1560231/r9-390x-bios-leaked-on-web#post_24034548

Looks like his 290 thinks it has 8GB of RAM

Yeah I gave it try, That's me. Since I was able to actually post and boot the 290, 290x 390, 390x are basically the same card. I was not expecting I would be able to boot into windows and knew I would not be able to get drivers working as I have never had any luck with any vbios for 8 gig cards. My 290x is on vacation for RMA. I wanted to see what info I could pull from the vbios if it booted.

Though I would like to get the vbios from a 390 non x card just to see if the vbios is any different.

Last edited:
Damn this is like a cereal that has been out for years but became boring and fell in popularity, so the manuf slaps a "new and improved - now with double the marshmallows" sticker on the box, raises the price, and consumers praise them for doing it.

This is simply a move to fill low and mid product lineup spots and allow the *real* new GPUs to be priced higher than they really need to be.

Bring out Fury already... Fuck.

On tuesday, AMD will take the stage and formally announce they are taking a backseat in the GPU industry to put more focus into CPUs/APUs. Handing the entire market to Nvidia on a silver platter.
At least it makes our future purchasing decisions much easier!

On tuesday, AMD will take the stage and formally announce they are taking a backseat in the GPU industry to put more focus into CPUs/APUs. Handing the entire market to Nvidia on a silver platter.

Oh stop

That wouldn't be good either, since Intel's Iris flat out destroys AMDs APUs.

Sad - and to make it worse they are replacing 280X with 4GB Tonga ?

The R9 380, basically an R9 285 with 4GB GDDR5, is meant to replace the R9 280. The R9 380X will be a full Tongo/Antigua/whatever you want to call it to replace the R9 280X. For what it's worth, the R9 285 was ever-so-slightly better than the R9 280 despite having less VRAM on a narrower bus. I don't expect much of an improvement from the R9 380, but I expect the R9 380X to be the best value for the money in this lineup, price pending.

Yeah dont be a little bitch...Rebrands make sense from a financial perspective, 290X is still a top card, just uses a little extra power. Im glad AMD focused on FURY, HBM and a large chip like that is no small feat to accomplish. Next gen is going to be even better. Love the competition go AMD!

I can't wait until the Fury rebrand complaints. As much as I'd like an entirely new lineup of cards, I think it's best to not have another GTX 970 fiasco. Gotta love engineers.

Back