Got $500 buring a hole in my pocket

WasntMe

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just bought a new mobo, cpu and ram. I am ready to grab a new vidcard but I am not sure if I should grab one now or hold off until the new Nvidia crap gets introduced before/during/after the Crysis release.

I am looking at the BFG 8800GTX OC2 single board (not SLI... yet). I am leaning toward the BFG because I had a 6800gtOC for a while and it died after a moron had a static shock in my box that threw off the 3d video. It is being replaced no charge, which is cool I guess (lifetime warranty). Plus it's OCed stock, which saves me the trouble.

I am not huge into overclocking so I don't need all the extras to enable it. The fear of frying sucks.

Not sure if I should hold off or purchase now. What's you opinions?

Wait. Nvidia's stuff is coming around the 29th of THIS MONTH, and ATI's is supposed to be on Nov. 19th... both will provide a HUGELY better bang/buck ratio and lower costs than the current cards. Heck, buy two RV670's for the price of one current GTX and run circles around it, or 2x of the new GTS with 112 SP's and pwn it in SLI :D.

Sorry I guess I am confused on the dates.

I decided to put a higher end card in rather than 2 lower cards in SLI because that extra slot with the higher card will eventually be filled by second GTX/Ultra/Yet Unreleased "Thing.

So I should probably wait, eh?

I currently have a 9800XT in my box in AGP. If I hold off on the GPU, I will have a new mobo, CPU, and RAM laying around until the new card comes. LOL That is going to be HARD AS HELL.

Maybe I should retrun it all and hold off a month? sigh... decisions decisions.

SLI is rarely a good upgrade path... you either buy two at once or just one new card later on. You will see better performance from 2x of the new cards than one high-end current card by a good amount, at the same price. If you absolutely have to have the PC up and running, find a cheap card to tide you over then sell it for a small loss in a month. The difference is going to be that good.

Get an EVGA 8800GTX. Same lifetime warranty, but they also have a 3 month "Step Up" program. Within three months of purchasing the card, you can upgrade to the latest and greatest and just pay the difference. Here is the FAQ on the stepup program:

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=3

Here is the card that I went with. If anything amazingly powerful comes out from Nvidia, I'll stepup to the new card. Since I got the top end "Superclocked" card, I won't have much to pay. You also get a free copy of "Quake Wars" if that floats your boat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130079

Two G92's or RV670's will outperform that card, but be cheaper individually and not be able to be stepped up to. Bad idea, since the single-card high-end isn't coming until February at earliest from the latest news :(.

SLI is rarely a good upgrade path... you either buy two at once or just one new card later on. You will see better performance from 2x of the new cards than one high-end current card by a good amount, at the same price. If you absolutely have to have the PC up and running, find a cheap card to tide you over then sell it for a small loss in a month. The difference is going to be that good.

Is it a bad upgrade path if the time between purchases is just 5 months? I know hardware changes but with the EVGA Step-Up it will only be 2-3months before the second card goes in.

Another thing is the 8800GTX is cheaper than 2 8800GTS cards. Not to mention I probably will need a new PSU with 2 cards. Which is better? One GTX or 2 GTS cards?

Is it a bad upgrade path if the time between purchases is just 5 months? I know hardware changes but with the EVGA Step-Up it will only be 2-3months before the second card goes in.

Another thing is the 8800GTX is cheaper than 2 8800GTS cards. Not to mention I probably will need a new PSU with 2 cards. Which is better? One GTX or 2 GTS cards?

I'd go with 1 GTX. Although 2 gtss will be faster if you can get sli to work on a specific game.

You won't need a new PSU for 2 of these new cards (MSRP is supposed to be $250-275 each for them, FYI), as they draw much less power than the current ones they're replacing. I, for one, will be running 2x RV670's as soon as they're out on my Corsair HX 520W PSU ;). I returned my GTX to do so.

Two G92's or RV670's will outperform that card, but be cheaper individually and not be able to be stepped up to. Bad idea, since the single-card high-end isn't coming until February at earliest from the latest news :(.

I really wouldn't believe any of the rumors on the new high end GPU release dates until we get actual word from Nvidia.

Wait as long as you feel necessary.

As long as you wait, the more powerful a card $500 will buy you.

ive been ready as well but its just so damn close (we hope anyway) to a refresh or new release not to wait just another month or two

Please dont post FUD, or your hunches.

Ask yourself this: Do I need to be on the bleeding edge?

If not, get what you want now. There will ALWAYS be something better coming up. I CAN tell you that an 8800GTX is an amazing card that WILL play everything for years to come. Maybe not at max settings in the future, but there are STILL people playing all the latest games on 9800pro's and 7800gtx's.

I was in the same boat as the OP. That's why I went EVGA. IF, and it's a big IF, something comes out whithin 90 days that's twice as good, I'll be able to upgrade cheaply with the stepup program. If it comes out next year, then I might sell my 8800GTX and get the new hottest thing. Most likely I won't though, since staying on the "bleeding edge" is impossible and very expensive.

All it boils down to is what you want. I say get your card now and enjoy your new computer and Crysis. And get Team Fortress 2, that game rocks. ;)

P.S.
I'm in the Crysis beta and my current card, 7950GT OC 512mb, runs Crysis very well. Imagine what an 8800GTX would do. :eek:

P.S.
I'm in the Crysis beta and my current card, 7950GT OC 512mb, runs Crysis very well. Imagine what an 8800GTX would do. :eek:

and it's been confirmed several times over that the current MP beta performs like crap compared to internal compiles :D

What other source could there be left ;)?

Stop jerking people around, its so unbecoming and unneccesary. nVidia is the only reliable source, and no one has heard anything iron lately. But please, since you think your so right, post your source.

Source - like you said, until you hear it from nVidia. I highly doubt the GT qualifies as the new product, that thing will probably choke on Crysis at 1280.

this got posted to another thread earlier, but I'm too lazy to search since it was just hanging off the MPC homepage. I have officially put off my new build until this shit gets settled. I had to refuse delivery of an evga superclocked ultra this morning. that sucked, no free ETQW for me. :mad:

Then there are the damn benchmarks of the new ATI cards floating around this weekend and this morning. FFS. I can't wait until this shit-storm rumor mill passes.

You realize you didn't have to refuse that Ultra that was shipped to you? That was entirely your choice and unwarranted, as you shouldn't have wasted anyones time or money on ordering it in the first place, if you didn't 100% want it. It does suck cause that card you turned away was a damn fine one indeed. Hope it was worth it especially if you have to end up waiting months on end for something that would have rivaled it. You said so yourself, this stuff is all unsettled at the moment.

yes. yes I did. I realized I could step-up which is why I pulled the trigger early. But at the price-points *and* the performance numbers that the new ATI cards are at and the heavy lean towards a 'mainstream' card from N, it is the safer bet to return the card. evga is not going to refund me my money if I swap out a 700$ card for a 500$ G92. So who's money is being wasted? UPS? feh. I doubt that UPS is going to make a special trip to amazon on my little return.

Oh, don't discount my actions. I 100% want that Superclocked Ultra. Especially with the Orange Box release in two days. But I also don't want to be sitting with 100% of my dick in my hands if ATI releases the Gladiator card with an 800mhz core and a $275 price point or nvidia craps a 1Tflop beast out of their ass in November. Dealing with shipping turn around, registering the card, blah blah blah.

I *will* buy something in November. What that is exactly, is up to nvidia, intel and their launch partners.

Stop jerking people around, its so unbecoming and unneccesary. nVidia is the only reliable source, and no one has heard anything iron lately. But please, since you think your so right, post your source.

Use your head...

By the way, anyone "happen" to notice that the nVidia higher-end cards like GTS/GTX are almost entirely non-returnable/non-refundable now ;)? How interesting ;)!

Hehe... PCinLife... :p
200710080e21e71d66a455che8.gif

I got the cheapest 8800 GTS with my new PC because I plan on upgrading when Nvidia releases their new cards. I figured an 8800 card would offer a better resale value than the 8600 or 7900 series.

Use your head...

By the way, anyone "happen" to notice that the nVidia higher-end cards like GTS/GTX are almost entirely non-returnable/non-refundable now ;)? How interesting ;)!

Hehe... PCinLife... :p
200710080e21e71d66a455che8.gif

Yet you make up the price and power requirements

Also the GTS is supposed to be 112 not the GT which is supposed to perform between the 8600gts and 8800gts.

We will. Theres no reason to believe you, you have no source of information, and everything youve "stated" contradicts everything nVidia has stated.

LOL :rolleyes:, where, PLEASE tell me where nVidia has ever officially stated they have no new cards coming in Late oct./early November. I would LOVE to see this bogus article you are believing ;).

NV themselves have said there are new cards coming, and all my sources tell me the same. Again, if you can't understand a little thing between the lines, well, your loss... pardon me for trying to help the unenlightened :rolleyes:.

LOL :rolleyes:, where, PLEASE tell me where nVidia has ever officially stated they have no new cards coming in Late oct./early November. I would LOVE to see this bogus article you are believing ;).

NV themselves have said there are new cards coming, and all my sources tell me the same. Again, if you can't understand a little thing between the lines, well, your loss... pardon me for trying to help the unenlightened :rolleyes:.

You really are an idiot. YOU said high end is coming in February, nVidia said high end is coming in November, which is what i believe. Your not helping anyone, youre hurting yourself by showing us your true ignorance. You make claims, with nothing to back them up. Keep going though...

:rolleyes: As I said, use your head... guess that's tough at its size tho :eek: . You'll see soon enough anyway ;).

Right, so where are these magical sources you have? Hell I can put up some fake images and make up numbers too, but I have better things to do with my time.

Nice job with the personal attacks though, sure makes your point all that much stronger :rolleyes:

Right, so where are these magical sources you have? Hell I can put up some fake images and make up numbers too, but I have better things to do with my time.

Nice job with the personal attacks though, sure makes your point all that much stronger :rolleyes:

I think his personal attacks are funny, not only does it show hes got no arguement, but at the same time it points to troll, or just all around stupid and immature little highschool kid with, like you said, nothing better to do with his time.

These hit the wire this morning, I thought I would be nice and share:

Nvidia G92 GPU launch brought forward
DigiTimes - Taiwan
Nvidia is bringing forward the launch date of its upcoming GeForce 8800 GT (G92) GPU to October 29 from the original November 12, targeting AMD's new Radeon ...

UMC receives Nvidia G92 orders
DigiTimes - Taiwan
Nvidia has placed orders with United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) for its G92 graphics chips, with the foundry's 12A fab processing 5000-6000 wafers ...

Pretty stoked they moved the launch forward by a couple of months. Seems like a counter to the ATI activity up in Seattle this week.

You really are an idiot. YOU said high end is coming in February, nVidia said high end is coming in November, which is what i believe. Your not helping anyone, youre hurting yourself by showing us your true ignorance. You make claims, with nothing to back them up. Keep going though...

LOL, we all know teh intarwebs contain all info anyone knows! :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and there are no such things as contracts, they're all fairy tales... yeahhhhh... ;).

I personally did no such thing...

These hit the wire this morning, I thought I would be nice and share:

Nvidia G92 GPU launch brought forward
DigiTimes - Taiwan
Nvidia is bringing forward the launch date of its upcoming GeForce 8800 GT (G92) GPU to October 29 from the original November 12, targeting AMD's new Radeon ...

UMC receives Nvidia G92 orders
DigiTimes - Taiwan
Nvidia has placed orders with United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) for its G92 graphics chips, with the foundry's 12A fab processing 5000-6000 wafers ...

Pretty stoked they moved the launch forward by a couple of months. Seems like a counter to the ATI activity up in Seattle this week.
Ok, so are any of these new cards gong to be faster than an 8800GTX Superclocked card?

Back