Gosh Darn Achievements!

jester1176

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the following games in my library. this is the largest gaming library i have had on any console since the NES. Most of them im holding onto because of the incomplete status of the achievements!

Prey
Gears of War
MLB2K7
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Crackdown
Lost Planet
GRAW2
Def Jam: Icon
NBA Street Homecourt
Spider Man 3
Saints Row
Rainbow6 Vegas
NHL 07
Dead Rising
Table Tennis

If it wasn't for achievements, I would have traded in all but Table Tennis, GRAW2, Lost Planet, Crackdown, Gears and MLB.

Any one else holding onto games just thinking, "I'll come back to that and get achievements for it?"

(sorry for the swearing in the title. my bad)

I never played multiplayer or tried single player games on harder difficulty levels until the 360's achievements. It's changed the way i play games, for better or worse.

Achievements are the devil! Even though I tried to avoid them, they sucked me in, and now I want them.

For me I was like that at first. I wanted to get all of the achievements with all of my games. However after playing around with some games and seeing how ridiculous some of them are, I just stopped caring. Unless it's a game I really care about or something I'd enjoy doing, I don't bother. In some cases (like Oblivion, NFS: Most Wanted, Street Fighter) I got them all just because I wanted to. In others like Full Auto and Condemned I just got the ones I stumbled upon or weren't much trouble to get. In a few cases, I've barely gotten any. I'm not big into playing online in most games, so I don't mess with a lot of those that involve win streaks and whatnot.

I have only bought 3 games for my 360 since I bought it in February, one of which doesn't have achievements. I pretty much bought my 360 for Crackdown and I had to have some kind of Tony Hawk game, so I got project 8. Crackdowns Achievements were fun to do so I guess thats why I have done them. TH8 is another story. After getting to spot 6, I realize that beating the game is not going to happen so it doesn't bother me that I cant get those achievements. Soul Calibur 2 was my third game since I needed a good fighting game and there isn't much to choose from on the 360 as far as fighting.

Achievements haven't caused me to keep games I've already finished. I keep all my games, on all my systems (past and present). However, the whole achievement thing has definitely added value to my 360 titles, since I play them, even after I've beat a game, to try and get other various achievements. I don't go out of my way to get them all, like Gears of War for example. I haven't even played the multiplayer yet, and I have no intentions to play hundreds of ranked matches, to get some of those achievements.

I have the games and the ability to easily break 10k achievement points. However, I am still under 6k.

It's just not worth the time for some of the achievements. I only go for achievements that are fun enough that I enjoy getting them, or simple enough that I can knock it out quickly. Some achievements aren't really achievements, but really badges of shame for diving into a timesink of boredom. My gaming time is far too precious to spend it on not having fun:p

So I've got quite a lot of achievement points waiting amongst my shelved games, but it's not worth going after them, just keep doing what's fun.

i agree on the enjoyment of the achievements....some are an incredible challenge. for instance, i got a no-hitter last week on MLB, which i had been SO close to getting multiple times since i got the game. i cant tell you how many i had broken up in the 8th or 9th inning.

Achievements mean nothing to me. Doesn't make me want to play a game any more or less. The game itself, its play, story, etc., is what keeps me coming back. Im one of the rare few in my circle that doesn't go chasing the "Don't talk for 5 minutes during game play" achievement.

I love achievements! Its gives more way more objectives, and brings me alot more replay value!

I have never made an effort to earn achievements. If I find the game interesting I will play through it again (after a break) and maybe at a different difficulty level. I am never going to go out of my way to collect X arbitrary things so I can raise my gamerscore.

I actually like Achievement points. I will make the attempt to go after certain things (especially fun things like in Crackdown) and I get a little thrill from hearing the sound when I unlock a new one. However, if there are ones that seem unattainable to me (The Nuge in Gears or 5 starring all songs on Expert in Guitar Hero) I don't waste my time trying to get them.

Basically, I see it as an addition to my enjoyment of the game but I don't allow it to rule my playtime... much. :cool:

For guitar hero 2 the achievements actually correspond with natural game play imo and so I assume I will get them all eventually. I think my favorite achievement is the "long road ahead" in GH2 for failing a song on easy:p The jimmy Hendrix achievement for playing lefty was also fun.

I hate games where the achievements require searching around for obscure items (as in Crackdown), seems too tedious to me.

For guitar hero 2 the achievements actually correspond with natural game play imo and so I assume I will get them all eventually. I think my favorite achievement is the "long road ahead" in GH2 for failing a song on easy:p The jimmy Hendrix achievement for playing lefty was also fun.

I hate games where the achievements require searching around for obscure items (as in Crackdown), seems too tedious to me.

Lefty flip was fun- I would never have tried that otherwise. The "long road ahead" achievement was acquired by my 2 year old daughter when she wanted to play. :D

Totally agree with you on orb-gathering in Crackdown. I'm in no hurry to get those. But a triple flip? Oh yeah, I'll push to get that!

I'd think it's pretty random the way some games essentially reward you for progressing through a game (think NFS: Most Wanted or Condemned) while others force you to play the game on a hard setting or do something obscure.
I'd like to see a set of 800 "real" points for playing a game and doing well and maybe 400 zany bonus points for doing something impressive or obscure.

I'd like to see a set of 800 "real" points for playing a game and doing well and maybe 400 zany bonus points for doing something impressive or obscure.

I think that'd be a good guideline, though did you mean 600 instead of 800? Some games like King Kong or Enchanted Arms give you all their achievements just for beating the game normally. They were easy games so there was no real sense of accomplishment to it. GRAW2 split their achievements right down the middle between single player and multi player which i thought was nice. I also wish games wouldn't have any of their multiplayer achievements require playing ranked matches. I wanna play with people i know. I know nothing's forcing me to get those achievements, but it bugs me anyway. The viral achievements are pretty cool, like GRAW1's one for killing someone with the Assassin achievement. Once you did, you yourself got that achievement.

I also wish games wouldn't have any of their multiplayer achievements require playing ranked matches. I wanna play with people i know. I know nothing's forcing me to get those achievements, but it bugs me anyway.

I agree. I understand why they do it, since in say Vegas, when a ranked match is done you go back to your profile screen, where you can change your equipment, find new online matches etc., and you don't keep playing with the same people in your previous ranked match. It makes it harder to just start a game with some people, and do stuff strictly for achievements. However, at least with Vegas, every ranked match I've done ends up with all the Elites stacking onto one team, and forcing all the 'scrubs' onto the other, with threats of being kicked from the game, if they don't comply. :(

Curse those 185,000 points in Aegis Wing!

What's the closest you've come? I believe there are 6 stages, which means you would need at least 31,000 per stage average to hit that achievement. I don't think I've ever gotten a score that high on any stage before. I think it would have to be a team thing... where everyone allows one person to pick up all the attack items like the beam and the bomb item since those really make a difference in overall score.

I have 660 points on GH2, with the majority of the points I need come from not having a buddy that's at my level. Too bad you can't play this through live. I think I can pick up 30 more points by beating easy and also 5-starring it. But I feel like it's such a waste of time to do that when I still have expert songs to master. Out of the 48, I think I have 33 5-stars, 12 4-stars, and there are 3 songs I can't even get past 3 star on. Misirlou will probably be one of the last songs on the regular campaign that I 5 star. Jordan, I will never be able to.

I hate the online achivements, since i don't have gold and have no desire to play the games against others. Except maybe worms.

I think whoever said that it should be split like 600 for progressing through the game and 400 for bonus crap was spot on. I know it's sad but if i play a game for a while and only get like 5 points (IE burnout revenge) i feel ripped off :p

I am thinking about buying GH2 just to get the achievements since i own at it on ps2. Also my ps2 disc got fucked.

I love the achievements on GH2 as they give me even more goals besides just surviving a song on Expert or finishing the careers.

Honestly I don't really care about achievements. There was a good example mentioned on the Games for Windows podcast. The topic was a naval game (can't remember what it was). The hosts were talking about how boring it would be if you'd have to manually row for hours, to which Shawn Elliot jokingly replyed with something along the lines of "I bet Xbox 360 gamers would do it if it means getting achievement points. PC gamers would do it if it meant getting more experience [in MMOs]".

If I happen to come accross an achievement, it's fine. I don't really go out of my way to do things to increase a number that has little effect with my gameplay.

Sometimes they can be fun. Climbing up to the Agency tower in Crackdown was awesome. Same with jumping off it. But Crackdown can't be put into every category, since that's the nature of sandbox games anyway.

achievements seem like a waste of time, if you get them while you are playing then its cool but I am not gonna do something ridiculously hard for two hours just to brag about my e-penis

What's the closest you've come? I believe there are 6 stages, which means you would need at least 31,000 per stage average to hit that achievement. I don't think I've ever gotten a score that high on any stage before. I think it would have to be a team thing... where everyone allows one person to pick up all the attack items like the beam and the bomb item since those really make a difference in overall score.

I've gotten up to 120,000 or so. Doing it with 3 friends could be an idea for most folks, but I'm by and large a loner. :p I may just let it slide because I refuse to be 'that guy' who takes every single powerup regardless if he needs it or not.

I love achievement points.

Many times i have gone back and replayed a game I normall would not have just for achivements.

It definately adds to the replayability of the games.

I have 660 points on GH2, with the majority of the points I need come from not having a buddy that's at my level. Too bad you can't play this through live. I think I can pick up 30 more points by beating easy and also 5-starring it. But I feel like it's such a waste of time to do that when I still have expert songs to master. Out of the 48, I think I have 33 5-stars, 12 4-stars, and there are 3 songs I can't even get past 3 star on. Misirlou will probably be one of the last songs on the regular campaign that I 5 star. Jordan, I will never be able to.

Have you beat "six" yet? I have yet to beat it on expert, and I thought it was one of the hardest songs on hard.

Please don't turn this into a GH2 thread. Though I've 5-starred most of the songs on Medium I can't pass the first song on hard and it frustrates the hell out of me... :(

Back