Gorier game than Soldier of Fortune 2?

If they had the predator doing this to an alien in the pic it probably wouldn't have shocked so bad.

Something like this happening in first person is gonna be gruesome just like if they showed alot of what Marv was doing in Sin City in First person.

And this is just a still of whats happening thats freaking people out. The real test is when the scene is shown in motion with sound. Depending on how polished the result the scene can range from cartoony to vomit inducing.

This thread deserves a major bump because to date, there has STILL not been a god damn title to rival SOF. Killing Floor 2 has the right idea... but with boring zombies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7FYfRPwpo

There simply needs to be a tactical military shooter using either the KF2 engine or L4D2 engine. Throw in some interesting death animations and it will be a winner. I'd seriously pay $200 for a proper god damn SOF remake. Maybe time for a kickstarter?

This thread deserves a major bump because to date, there has STILL not been a god damn title to rival SOF. Killing Floor 2 has the right idea... but with boring zombies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7FYfRPwpo

There simply needs to be a tactical military shooter using either the KF2 engine or L4D2 engine. Throw in some interesting death animations and it will be a winner. I'd seriously pay $200 for a proper god damn SOF remake. Maybe time for a kickstarter?

Activision owns both Raven Software who developed the first two SOF games as well as the rights tot he series so I think were out of luck unless a developer wanted to kickstart a spiritual sequel which used none of the orignal names or assets.

Imagine a game with the graphics of BF3/BF4 but with the GHOUL system from SOF.

Man I loved SOF back in the day.Now I may be misremembering, but I swear damage also affected the player. Shoot them in the leg and they go slower. Shoot them in the body or arms and it affects their accuracy.

AHH, SOF was my game....that takes me back some years. SOF II was good as well, but the original just has that special place in my heart.

Miss that type of gameplay/gore.

Aw man, there's always talk about it but the devs just aren't delivering. I'd like to see a BF:Bad Company with fully destructible enviros and enemies. And sheep.

SoF2 was so satisfying, to a slightly lesser extent FEAR was as well. It had lower LoD gore but in slow-mo, blowing off a dude's arm or leg was pretty thrilling.

Oh and eff Australia for their rating system. Glad I don't live there *nuzzles guns*

SOF brings back so many memories. I remember picking it up as a kid because all I would do was look for M rated games and buy the ones with the most gore. I was shocked when I shotgunned someone in the chest and watched how they fell backwards clutching their intestines or crawl around on one leg or grab at their amputated limb. Then SOF2 was just insane, seeing peoples jaws get blown off or expose part of their brain. Then I get flashbacks of that horribly shit sequel :(

Dead Space.

Also Clive Barker's Jericho has an actual river of blood in it, so that has to be a contender for goriest game of all time, though I don't remember how the rest of the dismemberment system was - think it varied enemy to enemy. The game definitely had some gaping flaws, but it also had some epic gore moments.

I don't play console-exclusives, but my understanding is that God of War may be the current leader; there's also a Wii exclusive (whose name I don't remember) that was nothing but an insane gore-fest fighter of some kind.

BTW, the gun dismemberment in SoF wasn't actually realistic at all, which is probably one of the reasons not a lot of other games have tried that since. In real life no small caliber guns are going to take off a limb or head, even if they break the bones, it's not going to completely sever anything. To take off a limb in real life you'd need several well-placed shots from a large caliber like a 50-cal or a 12-gauge, it's probably easiest to do with 12ga buck-shot at close range or slugs, but would still take at least 2-3 well placed rounds. Not something anyone is going to stop to try in the middle of actual combat.

So if you really want tons of dismemberment, you probably want to go with a medieval hack & slash type game (or sci-fi/horror with unrealistic BFG's). I just finished Dragon Age Origins, and you could take off heads and limbs, even split someone in half down the middle, it's just not that likely to happen all that often. Also possible in Skyrim and a few other bladed weapon games.

The dismemberment system in SOF2 is what made the game so unique. No other game has come close to the amount of chunks that could be removed from a body revealing muscle, tissue and organs. It was layers upon layers of viscera that could be revealed by various gunshots. The only guns that really took out limbs were shotguns and explosives. High caliber pistols like the deagle would remove chunks and such but it took many shots to actually remove limbs. I thought SOF2 did a great job with the gore imo. It was over the top without being duke nukemish.

The Darkness II
Warframe
Shadow Warrior (2013)
CODWAW campaign
Sniper Elite V2, 3, Nazi Zombie Army Trilogy
Mortal Kombat, MKX (obvious inclusions)
Dead Island, Riptide

SOF2 was the first game I bought after upgrading from a Geforce 2 GTS to a Geforce 4 Ti 4200.

Our minds were blown within the first 10 mins.

Good times!

If there was ever a game that needed a true sequel, it's the SoF series. Even a graphics overhaul mod for SoF2 would be amazing...

I wish PC Gamer or some other well-known blog did a publication on this massive gap in the gaming industry over the past 15 years and how dynamic violence went in the other direction. I think a lot of the reason we haven't seen another SOF-like game is because that generation sort of forgot about it and the newer generation of teens never even played the game so they have no idea what they're missing. Why COD style violence has become acceptable for the FPS genre is a disgrace. Every kill feels like the same and it's all so repetitive. I urge everyone to like Raven Software on Facebook and keep pushing them even for an explanation as to why nobody makes satisfying shooters anymore.

Is this really that complicated?

I'm guessing animations, physics, and testing are some of the reasons why more games don't do it. There was that phase in the late 90's and early 2000's where you thought things would progress, sadly they died almost overnight.

Back