Google's Top Four Execs Getting Bonuses Totaling $15M

HardOCP News

[H] News
Between the company's chairman, CFO, lawyer and CBO, Google is handing out $15 million in bonuses. Normally this is the part where we all poke fun of excessive bonuses but the company is doing great financially so the money is probably well deserved.

Google is paying nearly $15 million in bonuses to four of the Internet search company's top executives for their performances last year. Documents filed Tuesday disclosed Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt will get the biggest award at $6 million to supplement his estimated fortune of $8 billion.

He could have a bonfire with all that money as fuel and still not give a fuck.

$6 Million in bonus is pretty small for a large corp exec specifically one that makes a lot of profits.

They are doing great and being practical in the bonus scale. These guys give up a lot to be at the top and keep things humming along. Good for them.

If the company was doing poorly then that would be a different story.

This is all well and good, but what about the developers... you know, the guys who actually WRITE the code that runs Google? How much are they being screwed out of the big money?

This is all well and good, but what about the developers... you know, the guys who actually WRITE the code that runs Google? How much are they being screwed out of the big money?

My co-worker's husband is a senior programmer at Google. Based on seeing his house at Santa Monica and Lake Arrowhead, he's not complaining.

They are being paid what they agreed upon. Getting paid what you think is acceptable and being screwed out of the big bux are two different concepts.

Google is a company where the exec do in fact deserve such large bonuses. No one innovates or is as efficient as Google. Good for them!!

Many scumbag CEOs earn 15 mill a month. Many earn more after driving a company in the ground and "getting fired".

can somebody at google get off their ass and fix the tab switching issue that has been going on for like a year now? maybe address the crap tons of flash crashes too. maybe then someone would deserve 15 million...

Considering google offers some of the best benefits and pay in the world and for many it would be a dream to work at google, i think they're doing pretty well.

Much more interesting that they replaced Andy Rubin as head of the Android division ;)

Well, those people that write the code helped vote the company as one of the best places to work for the last few years ( http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/best-companies/2013/snapshots/1.html?iid=bc_sp_list ) so I don't think they are getting screwed at all.

And honestly the bonuses aren't all that big as far as top level exec bonuses go these days. Neither Larry Page nor Sergey Brin are getting a bonus, both have to make do with their $1 salary (well, that and the $23 billion they already have). Google's top lawyer is getting $3.3 million and the CFO and CBO are getting $2.8 million each. That's... quite reasonable IMHO.

Nothing says those other people are not getting some sort of bonus, it just doesn't sell news to say a $100,000 a year programmer got a $15,000 bonus (numbers made up on the spot). Most execs don't take regular salaries, they get paid a contracted "bonus" once a year.

Any bonus is too much for leading the company towards the privacy-obliteration and data-mining engine it has become. If this was still the Google of 5+ years ago, where user data and privacy was protected and "free" access to software was paid for easily understood, limited terms (ie. I agree that in return for awesome email, you can put up a single box of text ads that only pulls terms from that particular email etc..), I'd be fine with bonuses paid for success (albeit, I'd rather see 15 1 million dollar bonuses go to employees who make this stuff happen etc.), but as things currently stand I don't want to see those parasites profit from normalizing and advancing the obliteration of privacy.

Any bonus is too much for leading the company towards the privacy-obliteration and data-mining engine it has become. If this was still the Google of 5+ years ago, where user data and privacy was protected and "free" access to software was paid for easily understood, limited terms (ie. I agree that in return for awesome email, you can put up a single box of text ads that only pulls terms from that particular email etc..), I'd be fine with bonuses paid for success (albeit, I'd rather see 15 1 million dollar bonuses go to employees who make this stuff happen etc.), but as things currently stand I don't want to see those parasites profit from normalizing and advancing the obliteration of privacy.

Quit using Android, gmail, google search, etc. and convince everybody else in the process. Or buy them out and control the company

Any bonus is too much for leading the company towards the privacy-obliteration and data-mining engine it has become. If this was still the Google of 5+ years ago, where user data and privacy was protected and "free" access to software was paid for easily understood, limited terms (ie. I agree that in return for awesome email, you can put up a single box of text ads that only pulls terms from that particular email etc..),

Google has always grabbed as much data as it could, company hasn't changed at all there. Nor has the advertising - GMail's ads are the exact same today as they were 5 years ago (or whenever gmail launched)

I'd be fine with bonuses paid for success (albeit, I'd rather see 15 1 million dollar bonuses go to employees who make this stuff happen etc.)

They actually did do that:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-bonus-and-raise-2010-11

Google has always grabbed as much data as it could, company hasn't changed at all there. Nor has the advertising - GMail's ads are the exact same today as they were 5 years ago (or whenever gmail launched)

They actually did do that:

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-bonus-and-raise-2010-11

Gmail's ads may be the same visually, but the TOS that unifies their data collection across all the google properties and anywhere their "bugs" touch, is new. Looking through the archives there are plenty of stories of users who noticed that suddenly that search history and other things started affecting their gmail ads etc.... there has been a massive expansion of data collection and huge changes of what has been done with that data, pervading all aspects of Google products and services.

I've known that Google has always paid relatively well, but from what I've heard recently from a former employee, they've seen some negative changes when it comes to bonuses, especially for those working on technologies that were outside the data collection/advertising sphere of influence.

Google would never seek to profit from collecting, logging, and mining information. The services it offers for free are offered for the good of all humanity from the bottom of their big, corporate heart. It protects your data and would never release anything at all to an outside party like your national government. Remember, they even said they're not evil. What more could you possibly want?

Google would never seek to profit from collecting, logging, and mining information. The services it offers for free are offered for the good of all humanity from the bottom of their big, corporate heart. It protects your data and would never release anything at all to an outside party like your national government. Remember, they even said they're not evil. What more could you possibly want?

Either you're a troll king or irony incarnate with that handle & the topic on hand... :confused:

No real problem with this. The company is doing great and thinking long term, they pay their employees well, and provide great services.

It'd be great to see them go gangbusters expanding Google fiber, if for no other reason than, to create more competition in a market with very little of it.

People seem to forget, with out the people at the top, most of the developers aren't worth shit, as they need someone to manage them and those below them who in turn manage the workers.....

See how a company works?

Otherwise why do developers not just work on their own and make everything them selves?

Thats right, because most developers don't know much about a company beyond their position, same for many positions, I.T, Design et cetera.

Back