Google's Self-Driving Cars Can Read Cyclists' Hand Signals

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google now says that its self-driving cars can recognize hand signals. I'd have to see this feature in action because I've seen cyclists on the road and most of them do not properly signal or, when they do, it looks like some contorted-pretzel looking gesture that you are supposed to recognize as "I'm merging to the right as I stop before I change my mind and swerve back into the bike lane."

"Our sensors can detect a cyclist's hand signals as an indication of an intention to make a turn or shift over," the company's June autonomous vehicle report reads. "Cyclists often make hand signals far in advance of a turn, and our software is designed to remember previous signals from a rider so it can better anticipate a rider's turn down the road."

Now, if they could only make it smart enough to not try to win an argument with a bus.

I almost get hit by more cyclists than cars every day walking to and from work. Chicago drivers are bad, but the cyclists are worse.

Good luck with that, cyclists around here never signal. And they don't stop at stop signs, constantly run red lights and push in front of you at stops.

In Toronto, cyclists rarely signal, but then neither do the drivers....

if they could get cyclist who insist on driving directly in traffic to obey driving laws which include hand signals that would be great.

Regarding Toronto, it's illegal to drive and text in a car but you can ride a bike and text. Hence I've almost been run over by cyclists texting , several times when visiting the city.

Then the car will know when I am flipping it the bird. Good.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Perfect opportunity to mess with the Google car. Signal you're stopping and accelerate away. Signal left then turn right.

Sort of on topic....I went outside to check the mail and a Google mapping car was driving past my house slowly, so I go to sidewalk and start flipping it the bird as it is driving away. A few months later I decide to check out street view to see if had updated the images and I could see my self flipping off the car when you go down a couple of houses and look back up the street on the street view. They had blurred out my face and forearm, but I knew what it was. I would post it, but I don't trust you guys. :chicken:

To be honest it should be open season on cyclists. They are the most irresponsible road users mainly because they feel, if an accident occurs, it's instantly the car drivers fault and not their running through a red light or passing a turning car on the wrong side. Oh and no lights at night, not using hand signals, going too fast on pavements and sidewalks etc. etc. etc.

But you mention this to cyclists they will call you a fascist. Nope, just trying to live by the rules of the road.

To be honest it should be open season on cyclists. They are the most irresponsible road users mainly because they feel, if an accident occurs, it's instantly the car drivers fault and not their running through a red light or passing a turning car on the wrong side. Oh and no lights at night, not using hand signals, going too fast on pavements and sidewalks etc. etc. etc.

But you mention this to cyclists they will call you a fascist. Nope, just trying to live by the rules of the road.
You haven't heard??!! Everyone is right all the time. Geez. Get with the program!!!

Pretty much sums up car drivers as well.

So is most people suck all the time or all people suck most of the time? This ethics class is a bitch.

Googles self driving vehicles just relay the cyclist location to the nearest Tesla.

I always love hearing about these futuristic Google products, but it would be nice if you could actually buy them.

Wonder if it knows this one?

salute15.jpg

And is this the car's reaction to that "hand gesture"..

5706524.jpg

You know when you are driving down the road and it's a really nice day, so you hang your hand out the window and make your hand go up and down like the wing of a plane...

Now you will get mowed down by a Google car that thinks you were making a left turn signal so it overtakes you on the right, killing pedestrians and passengers alike. :D

Back