Google’s Next Android Overhaul Will Embrace iPhone’s “Notch”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In an effort to woo iPhone users, Google is going to translate the notched design of the iPhone X into Android P. While the notch has been controversial, more and more Android manufacturers are adopting the idea.

A key goal of this year’s update to the Google mobile operating system is to persuade more iPhone users to switch to Android devices by improving the look of the software, the people said. They asked not to be identified discussing the private plans. A Google spokesman declined to comment.

Since when does a notch in a phone constitute as controversy? Are people really up in arms over that?

Since when does a notch in a phone constitute as controversy? Are people really up in arms over that?

Yeah I don't get it...

Are bezels really that bad? Sure I can understand massive bezels but one the size of a camera lens isn't earth shattering.

I'll readily admit that I dislike Apple products. Just throwing that out there to start with.

Now, about the notch... it looks like crap. Beyond cosmetics, I also rather like the fact that my phone's screen doesn't extend all the way to the edge at the top. When I turn my phone sideways, which I do a ton, it gives me a convenient margin on both ends of the phone where I can grasp it with my thumbs and not interfere with the screen.

On that note, I have noticed a basic difference between android and iphone users in how they use their phones. Android users are much more likely to turn their phones and use them in "landscape" mode, especially for things like texting - which is all the time. I use my phone in landscape mode upwards of 75% of the time. It is probably more like 90%. Your average iphone user, on the other hand, is more like 90% in portrait mode. They text from portrait orientation, facetime that way, etc. You can always tell when a breaking news style video is shot by an iphone user, because they don't turn their phone to record in widescreen view.

I think google will find out the hard way that the notch is a fail among android users. I guess we'll see. I can tell you I'll never own a phone that has one.

and by the time they adpot it, apple will have woo'd its hipster fanbois back with something else mundane and stupid

We now have phones with the fingerprint sensor under the screen. It's just a matter of time until the front facing camera/sensors are also under the screen, and I would bet Apple will be the first to come to the market with this in a product that people actually buy.

We now have phones with the fingerprint sensor under the screen. It's just a matter of time until the front facing camera/sensors are also under the screen, and I would bet Apple will be the first to come to the market with this in a product that people actually buy.

No, Apple will wait until someone else does it and then "invent" it.

It’s a little early for April fools.

The notch is just plain silly and a dumb way to give users an edge to edge screen. Most users like a small amount of bezel anyways. Having the screen stop at the bottom of the notch would’ve been just fine and far more aesthetically pleasing.

So I really can’t see why google would copy something that most people go “well that’s ugly”

I won’t buy anything with a friggin notch in the screen. What’s next? A notch in my perfect rectangular TV screen? Fuck that.

As someone who is OCD about symmetry I can see the controversy. Oddly enough I find the notch on the iphone almost satisfying as weird as that is. I suppose because that area is always reserved for notifications and stuff so they just make good use of it anyway. And helps blend the illusion of a truly bezeless device

Yes and by then Apple will go "notchless" and put it out as a major innovation for the 2019 iPhone XS.. It's everything you never needed in a phone! XD

As a stubborn owner of a htc one m8,,,,, I like my top & bottom bezels lol. Forward facing speakers ftw

Looking at that picture, all I can wonder is how goofy that haircut would look?

I thought "notch" was a marketing term for...we made the display too big. Guess marketing won this round.

Back