Google's New 'Entertainment Device' Is Coming

HardOCP News

[H] News
Call me a skeptic but I'm not too sure about this idea. I mean, it sounds interesting but hardware has never been Google's strong point.

Nicknamed "Project Tungsten," the device serves as a music hub that connects to speakers or a home stereo. Running Google's Android operating system, the device can play digital music files stored online at Google Music or on assorted devices. The device can be powered by a smartphone or tablet, and multiple devices can be linked to simultaneously play music on speakers throughout a house.

I'm not complaining about their ability to make hardware, but it's the concept that bothers me. The device acts like a middle man between your device and speakers, which is obvious they're promoting Google's Music service. Seriously, why get this?

So, basically, Google is showing up late to the party that Apple started 10 years ago?

Seems kind of stupid that it's "powered by android" but then needs another device...:confused:

So, basically, Google is showing up late to the party that Audio Highway started 15 years ago?

Basic rule of crApple's "inventions", they were nothing to do with it and never the first. :p

With the purchase of SageTV, I'm not surprised.
Sage came out with hardware devices to stream video/audio/pictures from a centralized servers. The community was working on streaming app for their android phones.

I thought MS was the "big first" on this one - they bought WebTV and invested some big bucks into their products back in the mid/late 90s tech boom. That was well before just about anyone else was thinking about monetizing streaming video. Unfortunately, lack of household broadband access, the expense of hardware decoders doomed it to failure, and the ad industry mass advertising scam doomed it to failure.

I'm still feeling too shafted with Google's purchase then dump of SageTV to ever buy this. Sage was on a good road to getting a great product out there. I'm sure if Google incorporated some of that tech in this device it *should* work fairly well. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!

So, basically, Google is showing up late to the party that Apple started 10 years ago?

Apple hardly invented this. My elderly neighbors had this kind of setup for 20 years. They had a whole house intercom/stereo system that was ran off a big clunky remote control and a few wall panels in select rooms that was wired into their home stereo system in their living room. This updates that for the 21st century.

I'll probably get it too since I was just thinking about this. I hope they can network 2 of them together as I have stereos on separate floors and be able to select with my tablet which one I want to play which music.

no shit, I guess if you are so lazy you can't get off your ass to turn on some music you'd like this thing.

It's like Sonos.

There is definitely room in the market for another product like this.

Google Music sucks ass. Why would I buy hardware to connect to that weaksauce service?

You uninstall it? It's still there.
Lossless anything? LOL.
Incorrectly flags content as DRMed as fails to upload.
Generally hangs during the upload.
No control over the format to which your music is transcoded.
And that's just the stupid windows app.

It's the typical half-assed Google intern vomit. I love me my Android phone. But it's CM that makes it rock. IE: the community stepping up and fixing Google's bugs.

He look, there's ICS: oh, yay, media stack borked AGAIN.

I do NOT trust GOOG to do anything other than pinch out a half baked turd.

Back