Google’s New AI Is Better at Creating AI Than the Company’s Engineers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You’ll have to take CEO Sundar Pichai’s word for it, but Google’s latest AI project is producing results that are more impressive than what the human workforce is churning out. During the Google I/O ’17 conference, Pichai talked a little bit about their new venture, AutoML, where artificial intelligence systems are producing better versions of themselves in a process described as “AI Inception.” Basically, it sounds like AI is sophisticated enough to self-replicate and automate now, requiring little to no human interaction, and Google thinks that’s entirely fine and awesome.

The AutoML project focuses on deep learning, a technique that involves passing data through layers of neural networks. Creating these layers is complicated, so Google’s idea was to create AI that could do it for them. “In our approach (which we call ‘AutoML’), a controller neural net can propose a ‘child’ model architecture, which can then be trained and evaluated for quality on a particular task,” the company explains on the Google Research Blog. “That feedback is then used to inform the controller how to improve its proposals for the next round. We repeat this process thousands of times — generating new architectures, testing them, and giving that feedback to the controller to learn from.”

Okay then.. this is it... light em up and smokem if you got em.. We are all dead in a few anyways damn self learning AI.

Zarathustra beat me to it but yeah, the instant I saw the thread title that would have been my exact reply, basically. :D

Yeah because our machine overlords will be worse than the assholes we have in charge now.

We treated them so bad for so long. Now we will have to answer for our sins........

We should have listened!!!!

refurbished-electronics-2-622x415.jpg

*Cough* Yeah.... Millions of dollars in deals to the Saudi's, its sickening really.

A long standing and most likely required policy if we want to have any major dealings in the middle east. The House of Saud is no joke. I'm sure most people in our government do not enjoy kowtowing to them, but they could make life very difficult for us over there.

Now appointing Saudi Arabia to the UN Women's Rights Commission.....that might have been taking it too far.

I mean for 15 years our government knew that the Saudi's were a main component of the Sept 11 attacks, yet said nothing. And even after it was officially released for public consumption in 2016, we STILL have dealings with them. That's some pull. We destroyed Iraq because of "terrorism", yet left Saudi Arabia alone this whole time.

But how are we gonna stop our future robot overlords from having bad thought and evil facts in their brains?

These guys can't be the only ones with this problem/blessing. And if so I imagine someone will be swiping some code soon.

Ehh. Not worried at all. Too many backdoors and rootkits. We won't lose control. It's like that dumb movie "The colossus. the forbin project" It would be far too easy to input a virus and wipe the system before it ever had a chance to react.

Better then giving Russia 20% of our Uranium.

Blame the Canadian company that owned those rights for selling themselves to the Russian consortium and the Canadian government for not stepping in and working a solution that could have cut off the need for a sale. The problem started North of the border and legally there was nothing binding to stop them from this side.

Better then giving Russia 20% of our Uranium.

Except that uranium thing never really happened...

All the state department did was approve an acquisition of a Canadian firm that controls Uranium mines by the Russians. Uranium - mind you - that they can't legally export outside of the U.S. anyway.

Last edited:
Ehh. Not worried at all. Too many backdoors and rootkits. We won't lose control. It's like that dumb movie "The colossus. the forbin project" It would be far too easy to input a virus and wipe the system before it ever had a chance to react.
Except when some Chinese hacker screws with the Power management AI at a nuclear power plant and bad shit happens before we can stop it.

Except that uranium thing never really happened...

All the state department did was approve an acquisition of a Canadian firm that controls Uranium mines by the Russians. Uranium - mind you - that they can't legally export outside of the U.S. anyway.

Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal
At the heart of the tale are several men, leaders of the Canadian mining industry, who have been major donors to the charitable endeavors of former President Bill Clinton and his family. Members of that group built, financed and eventually sold off to the Russians a company that would become known as Uranium One.

Beyond mines in Kazakhstan that are among the most lucrative in the world, the sale gave the Russians control of one-fifth of all uranium production capacity in the United States. Since uranium is considered a strategic asset, with implications for national security, the deal had to be approved by a committee composed of representatives from a number of United States government agencies. Among the agencies that eventually signed off was the State Department, then headed by Mr. Clinton’s wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

I can't speak to foundation donations, all I'm saying is that the assertion that 20% of U.S. uranium was transferred to Russia is patently false.

The state department was one of 9 agencies required to sign off on a deal in which Russians bought a Canadian firm which mines some 20% of U.S. Uranium mines, but none of the uranium.mined in them can be exported to Russia.

So, no uranium was "transferred to Russia".

Yes, have to take pichai's word for it. If it's so great, why havent we seen any demo of this?

First rule of AI: Don't program it to replicate itself
Second rule of AI: Don't program it to be sentient
Third rule of AI: If you fail at rules #1 and #2, program it to feel pain

Making a neural network to improve an algorithm is nothing new.

This actually used to be "out of style" in the world of AI for awhile.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with the power of billions of dollars.

Back