Google's Android Honeycomb 3.0 on Video

Well if that's for real (I have my doubts that video was produced by Google at all), and Honeycomb comes to "market" looking like that, it could be a big game changer all the way around.

The Asus Eee Pad announcement for their "Transformer" device (tablet + separate keyboard, mentioned here: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036658469&postcount=13) supposedly will have Android 3.0 Honeycomb on it from the factory.

We'll see what happens, but definitely, if it looks and works like that on that Asus tablet (or most any of them), I'm interested.

That is, until Windows for ARM devices gets itself entrenched... :D

Muahhahahaha!

It's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Android rocks, and just keeps on getting better and better each year.... taking over the mobile OS market piece of piece :D

Am I the only one who sees Tablets as gimmicky for the typical home user?

I feel like these are going to fade out of existence at about the same rate that Netbooks did...

I'm sure Honeycomb is some sort of programming genius (it IS Google, of course) but I'm not exactly impressed by anything shown there.

/negativenancy

I feel like these are going to fade out of existence at about the same rate that Netbooks did...

I'm sure Honeycomb is some sort of programming genius (it IS Google, of course) but I'm not exactly impressed by anything shown there.

/negativenancy

Nope, I view them much the same.

That said, they do have some applications for some users. However I am not sure that market segment is large enough to support them in the long term. At the very least they are of slightly more use then those stupid netbooks, Now they are cool gadgets and such, but unfortunately there have been many many many "cool" gadgets over the years that faded into obscurity once the hype faded.

/negativenancy

I agree. They don't do anything that my phone can't, and are much bulkier. The only thing I might prefer them for is reading books, but I don't do that much anymore and there are other devices available that are more suited to that. I see them as a tool for entertainment only, but not good enough at that to replace what I have.

wow, much more refined looking than I was expecting....

Yeah, definitely exceeds expectations for me as well.

Nope, I view them much the same.

That said, they do have some applications for some users. However I am not sure that market segment is large enough to support them in the long term. At the very least they are of slightly more use then those stupid netbooks, Now they are cool gadgets and such, but unfortunately there have been many many many "cool" gadgets over the years that faded into obscurity once the hype faded.

True, but considering how man iPads have been sold already, it doesn't make sense for them to just fall of the face of the earth. Even if there is no use for them, people are looking at these things as some sort of status symbol, though for the life of me I don't understand why. Anyhow, getting off my soapbox, I do see the iPad and/or its competitors filling in for people who really have no use for the internet, outside of facebook/youtube, and reading their email, and perhaps doing some banking or such. I would dare say that the 80/20 rule would apply, that most people (obviously not [H] readers) don't really do much of anything outside of a few small slivers of part of the internet. You give them a device that requires minimal brain power, little to no hassle to operate, goes to those locations, and voila, who care about all the rest. Heck my wife would rather have her iPad than her Alienware Mx11, go figure.

Looks pretty slick. Hopefully they put some decent graphics processing power in those tablets.

Looks pretty slick. Hopefully they put some decent graphics processing power in those tablets.

Motorola just introduced their Xoom Android 3.0 powered tablet at CES just minutes ago (this info from the press release with the specs):

A 1GHz dual-core Tegra 2 will power this 10.1-incher, while 4G connectivity will be made available as an update in Q2 following a Q1 launch. Other specs include a 1280 x 800 resolution, 5 megapixel camera, 720p video recording and 1080p video playback, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, and finally, a healthy 32GB of onboard storage. The battery is rated to be capable of supporting 10 hours of video.

That should be more than capable. :)

It definitely looks fun/cool, but I'm still struggling to see how this will fit into my gadget ecosystem (just like the iPad).

I already have a pretty portable laptop for all of my real computing/browsing needs and I have an e-reader for books. Beyond that I plan to jump on the smartphone bandwagon with the new LTE capable droid phones once they come out and I check out some reviews.

It's a nice basic media consumer or browsing device for relaxing on the couch, but I don't think it'll be able to justify much of a price tag for me (again, just like the iPad).

I've used tablets (iPads) extensively: My dad is an Apple whore and bought one the day they came out and both my brother and father-in-law won one in work raffles (same company). They're fun for just screwing around on the internet on the couch but they really aren't some life-changing piece of hardware. They will fade out once enough people realize that an ultraportable laptop with a good battery is much more useful and almost as portable.

Hum well little smaller screen and faster processor will put cellphone and tablet in one bag.

nifty toy is about all it is. one thing i did like was the reading pane in the gmail app. why cant i have that in browser form?

I don't know about users in general, but it definitely feels that way to me. Tablets seem to combine the biggest drawbacks of the netbook and the smartphone, without the benefits of either.

Like the netbook, they lack the pocketability of a smartphone (you need a bag or special carrying case) while the user interface is still that of a phone, with no proper keyboard. So typing anything more than a few lines of text is out of the question.
For casual browsing on the bus, train or at some café, I find even the 3.7" screen of my phone to be enough. With the 4.3" models I don't see why you'd need an oversized phone (tablet) unless you suffer poor eyesight.

That said, I forgot to mention. While I see this as gimmicky for most users I am not bashing the product. I am contemplating getting one at some point myself as I see a very good use for it for me. I do a Ton of remote desktop and while my Droid Incredible is not bad, I would like a larger screen without needing to bust out the laptop. A pad device that I can quickly pop out and tap an app like logmein ignition or vnc whichever works better and be operating my servers would be nice for me. I have never had good vision and the phone screen is just a touch too small so this would be a benefit to me.

That said, I am going to wait a generation or two on these things. I want to see the prices drop a little more and see what they can do with a little more dev time before I plunk down cash on what will amount to a convenience.

All we really need now is a 7" to 9" inch inexpensive Android Honeycomb tablet, For under $250, it will sell like hotcakes. Hell, I'd buy one.

Back