Google worked with Intel on a custom AI chip for its Pixel phones

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Google worked with Intel to develop a special-purpose chip for AI and other tasks in the new Pixel smartphones. Intel has to feel somewhat happy with this arrangement since they more or less dropped out of the mobile phone/tablet business last year. I guess time will tell how long this partnership is going to last since Google is working on their own tensor processing unit chips for accelerating AI workloads in its data centers.

In an email to CNBC, a Google spokesperson confirmed that the company worked with Intel on the Pixel Visual Core and noted that no existing chip had exactly what Google wanted for the new Pixel devices.

I think it's safe to say that Google got the software, specifically AI, right. Possibly the new core. As to the rest of the hardware . . .

Intel definitely has mature 10 nm process tech and is in a good position for 7 nm. If Google can design good custom chips, they could be a good match.

Goodbye Wintel, hello Gootel. This new partnership sure does sound a lot dirtier.

Google will just buy Intel at some point. Why make your own fabs when you can buy the best. The phones suck from the reviews I've seen.

Back