Google Will Discontinue Google Now Launcher

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a blow to Android users whose favorite flavor is vanilla, Google will be dropping the Google Now Launcher app from the Play Store. Actually, I am not sure what the fuss about, since the Pixel Launcher remains available for those who want an “original” experience. I can only assume that the alternative is significantly worse, or that this is just another excuse to bash Google for making yet another pointless decision. Nova Launcher is working just fine for me.

Google currently has two launcher apps in the Play Store; Google Now Launcher and Pixel Launcher. In a few months, there will only be one. According to an email forwarded to us by a tipster, Google has alerted GMS partners of its intention to remove Google Now Launcher from the Play Store in the coming weeks. OEMs that use GNL have options, though. …the Search Launcher Services library for OEMs that has been in testing is now available. That's what Sony used to integrate the Google Now panel (now just the Google Feed) into its stock launcher a while back. That means OEMs can slap the Google Now panel on whatever launcher they want.

In a blow to Android users whose favorite flavor is vanilla, Google will be dropping the Google Now Launcher app from the Play Store. Actually, I am not sure what the fuss about, since the Pixel Launcher remains available for those who want an “original” experience. I can only assume that the alternative is significantly worse, or that this is just another excuse to bash Google for making yet another pointless decision.
Maybe the fact that Pixel Launcher can only be downloaded on a handful of phones -- most of them with "Pixel" in the name, coincidentally -- has something to do with people's concerns...

If you already installed the Google Now Launcher to any Android device, it will still show up in your owned apps to install (even after its pulled) in the Play Store. Even for not yet owned Android devices.

This news only effects OEMs and users who will never have installed it before it's pulled by Google.

Last edited:
WTF Google?! Their ability to chop and change is just ridiculous!

Google and Valve = Shortest attention span ever.

never bothered with the vanilla Google launchers. Have been Nova launcher for as long as I have been using smart phones.

I use Google now launcher on every phone I have owned.

My Asus Zenfone looks so much better with it.

Dammit Google. I feel like they're really abandoning us Nexus 6P owners...

Well, I just installed Nova Launcher so we'll see how that goes. Might as well get used to it now.

Meh. I use apex launcher. I trued pixel launcher but u cannot get 7 rows on the screen.

X1A5CrU.png

Back