Google, what have you done? (semi rant)

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
where to start.

1. go to youtube.com and am told i need to link my youtube account to google account to login, cause youtube password wont be valid anymore okay fine, understandable, i don't have one so i make one.

2. look to download ThumbGen so i can make covers for my WDlive movie collection.. fine, search for the app in Chrome "ThumbGen", find the site, download, now Chrome is asking me if i want to save this to my google Docs, i say no and choose the other option to just download, download fails, page wont load.

3. Start up IE, where i have not signed into google / youtube ever (new format as of about 2 hours ago) - prompted for the same dam thing, save to google docs or download, try to download = Fails.

I choose Action, download and it tries to use this URL
https://docs.google.com/viewer/nonc...99gqcnk&hash=s4kop8mmfmffktpeni11a464gdfvcgjm

so now google tracking things even more and trying to route it through google DOCS even though i said NOT to save it to google docs?

4. open IE and use bing, find download, file downloads fine....

i understand the need to integrate one companies sub companies into one, makes it easier to have one login but their new file download system clearly has some issues...

if i wanted to use google docs, i would sign in and do so, don't force your crap on me now for ANY file i download trying to get me to sign in and make an account to use your services i have no need for, time to start using Bing.

Last edited:
On the Google Docs page, hover your cursor on the ThumbGen.exe line, it'll alter the line to become highlighted and it'll show the Action option on the far right side, click the little arrow, get the Download, you're done (and yes I see you noted you did that, but but but...) :D

I guess that developer just found it easier to let Google handle the hosting of the file, who knows.

I didn't have any problems. With Chrome, I clicked your link, click the download button, and change the dropdown to save. Chrome asked me if I wanted to save the file and I told it that it was ok to do so. It downloaded normally without any issue.

Back