Google Waze Draws Ire Of U.S. Sheriffs

No shit Sherlock. However you were the one ranting about how "Obama was NEVER going to close GITMO" when the real discussion has always been about stopping the torture of human beings and releasing the innocent human beings, and then just not doing that kind of evil shit ever again. So don't turn around slide sideways with your wording.

Again, it wasn't ever about closing the whole damn base, just about stopping the being super evil part. So closing GITMO has always = Stop torturing people + Stop being fucking evil. You know, Guantanamo Bay detention camps current purpose.

I'm not sliding around anywhere. I'm not ranting, and your way the fuck off the discussion. Nothing about this discussion is about torture and that crap, it's about how to effect political change in relation to the cops and politics. Can you dig it?

So because of the spat between the cops and the mayor, NYPD stopped writing traffic tickets. December 2014 tickets written were 587. December 2013 tickets were 71,385 tickets. That's 70,798 unwritten moving violations. Let that sink in for a minute. Now, where are the reports of MASSIVE CIVILIAN CASUALTIES due to speeding and reckless driving for 2014 versus 2013 due to all those people not getting tickets?

Ever driven in NY City? You can't get up enough speed to kill anybody in that jam packed town. But you have a good question anyway. Where did you get these numbers from?

All I know is one thing:

This thread tells you exactly who the leadfoots are.

Keep raging against the machine, leadfoots... rage on...

If they aren't doing anything wrong, they won't mind being tracked by the public.

I know you're the quintessential troll ;), but personally, I can't wait for a car that drives itself. And I hope a lot of people buy them.

*takes a bow* Thanks, I'll be here until someone bans me. :D

Anyway, yup I totally agree that self driving cars would be really nice. There are way to many people who think that because they drove excessively fast once or twice on some random race track that they're expert drivers and that everyone else is far worse than they are. Also, male hormones. Anyway, we need more police and licenses should be revoked far more often.

If they aren't doing anything wrong, they won't mind being tracked by the public.

It is now impossible to distinguish between people sarcastically mocking foolish beliefs, and actual fools.

You cannot be saying this with a straight face.

It is now impossible to distinguish between people sarcastically mocking foolish beliefs, and actual fools.

You cannot be saying this with a straight face.

I'm mostly being sarcastic. Repeating what government, and those who favor a police state say when government spies on people.

Although, the people do have the greater right to keep track of government, than the government does to spy on it's citizens.

I'm mostly being sarcastic. Repeating what government, and those who favor a police state say when government spies on people.

Although, the people do have the greater right to keep track of government, than the government does to spy on it's citizens.

/thumbsup

Thanks to the news about the big stink they are throwing around, I now have this installed on my Windows Phone. Shared a few things already. I don't speed, but it's nice to know that there is a cop at such and such or a car is broken down or there is a ton of traffic somewhere. It's a nice app.

I can see the downside that they are pushing, but I don't see it as a huge deal. It works both ways. They want privacy and secrecy and so do we.

If I was the cops I'd just add a bunch of fake hidden cops sightings... lol

Haha that is a much better idea than, yet again, causing a Streisand-effect. But that would have taken a sense of humor and some degree of intelligence.

The government wants to possess all information, and control what information the people possess.

It's job security.

Actually, it's the local municipality that sets the speed limits within the limits of the municipality. As long as they're BELOW the speed limits recommended by the DOT, they're fine (unless there are state laws REQUIRING them to use the DOT specification). And even then, there are municipalities which are "lax" in their compliance.

Which is why we have issues with some municipalities sandbagging on speed limits. Taking roads that are/were/should be 45mph zones and limiting them to 25 as if they were residential block streets.

Exactly this. Though the roads are now designed around speed limits and not the other way around. In the past a registered Civil Engineer would be able to prove going over the speed limit was safe based on traffic studies. Now the Cities have blanket statements saying that the suggested speed limit is the end all limit.

I had to do this a few years ago for a new subdivision on a mountain. Site distance easements so everyone had a clear view at the given speed limit.

I'm not sliding around anywhere. I'm not ranting, and your way the fuck off the discussion. Nothing about this discussion is about torture and that crap, it's about how to effect political change in relation to the cops and politics. Can you dig it?

You were off topic, I was replying to your post, and by definition you were ranting. No, I don't and never will dig what you say. I don't live in a bubble. Either way, you brought up how GITMO was never gonna close, don't be stupid enough to try and lay it on me, now.

Basically, this. Stop complaining about it and use it to your own advantage! Reminds me of when the police didn't want to know about all the low-hanging fruit to be found on Facebook, where criminals post pictures of all the stuff they stole and videos of themselves stealing and vandalizing stuff.

The only negative to the police about Waze is the reduced revenue due to a reduced number of speeding tickets. You can mostly fix that with drakken's tactic. All the other stuff is beneficial to the police as well as the public.

The lost revenue is probably not even that much because not everyone uses or even has heard of Waze, and there sure isn't any shortage of speeders to choose from.

And if it was all about Public Safety, then clearly those people who were arrested for warning others should, in fact, have been praised for their help in Making The Roads Safer. But since they weren't: it's all about extorting funds from people. Filling the coffers of the state.
the guy was running around a 6 lane freeway median so I'm not going to get too broken up about him getting a citation for his behavior. a woman also came up in that search but she too was cited for wandering in the middle of a lane instead of using the sidewalk.

if people want to warn other drivers about police presence at least have the good sense to stay out of the middle of the road :rolleyes:

^^^ Ya what he said, to think that one arm of the government would work in tandem with another arm of the government is just preposterous. Only a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat would believe such things are possible.

The speed limits make perfect sense if you don't think about it. Around here we have 2 lane roads that have driveways to peoples residence with elevation changes and the speed limit is 55MPH. We also have highways with 4 lanes going each direction with concrete walls and controlled on-ramps and off-ramps. They are also 55 MPH. Again if you just spend a moment to not think about it, it makes sense.

And speeding in general, I agree is very dangerous. Just think about all the professional race car drivers that die each year. It's got to be at least 40 or 50 or maybe a 100. I mean you drive at 180MPH, of course you are going to spontaneously crash and die. The government has already figured out that you can't go faster that 70MPH, they even made it illegal to do so.

Apparent;y you have never been to AZ, TX, NM, and possibly some other surrounding states.

Most of AZ highways have a posted limit of 75MPH. Some parts of TX even have a posted limit of 80MPH.

And I am pretty sure at least some of NM has 75MPH posted limits.

Now what really bugs me is places where the speed limit suddenly drops from 70 or 65 down to 45.

Of course it "drops" to 55 first, but when there is another sign 20ft apart from the 55MPH that drops it down to 45MPH, that is just dangerous and stupid.

55MPH limits are just silly for highways unless there are a lot of sharp curves. And people should be smart about driving in bad weather as well.

Actually the government doesn't say this at all and never has claimed this. And more often then not it's just disconnected people that say this, oh, and people like you saying it while claiming the government is saying it. Anyway.

There are laws in place to make police cruisers 'visible' and 'distinct from the rest of traffic'
This app just makes them more visible.

If the police aren't doing anything wrong, why should they care if we know where they are?

There are laws in place to make police cruisers 'visible' and 'distinct from the rest of traffic'
This app just makes them more visible.

If the police aren't doing anything wrong, why should they care if we know where they are?

It's not showing where they are. It's reporting where other people have seen them. Similar to a CB. So, if they are going somewhere and hiding, unless someone else reports them, we aren't monitoring where they are or tracking them....

Yes, it can show where they are. Not actually tracking them to get the info, not exactly real time. Just using the data someone else reported.

The government wants to possess all information, and control what information the people possess.

It's job security.

You give them way too much credit as usual.

I got government guys right here across from my cubicle and I'll let you in on a secret.

All they are interested in is keeping their crappy jobs and not having to work too hard or be put into a situation where they can get stuck holding the bag on something. They are the bureaucracy so they punch holes in paper and track things like who is certified in what and who has had their annual training completed, who will get to go on the next trip to Germany or Japan, what time is the next "Town Hall Meeting" with the Colonel, and of course, what are their contractors doing and why are they screwing off. Yes, it seems many of them believe the best way to look like you are busy is by looking for which contractor is screwing off or slipping out the door early. One thing I am sure of, not one of these fat asses gives a damn about what any of you are thinking, planning, doing, reading, fucking, nothing.

But hey, that's just here at Army NETCOM and ARCYBER. Who knows what's happening elsewhere, it's probably completely different higher up.

It's not showing where they are. It's reporting where other people have seen them. Similar to a CB. So, if they are going somewhere and hiding, unless someone else reports them, we aren't monitoring where they are or tracking them....

He is, quite technically correct :D

Back