Google Wants Your Help with the Development of the Next Pixel

I guess im one who wants a removable battery as I don't tend to need a new phone every six months like some "look at me" folks(not saying anyone in the thread is like this, but a lot of folks around the world are about this) who think keeping up appearances and being shallow is what matters most. I tend to use a product until it either stops working or its so outdated it has no use. And that usually means outlasting the battery that won't hold charge very well any more. I'm probably a low percentage of the populous like that, but its the truth.

- would also like more android versions passed to the phone. 1 upgrade during a 2 year cycle is a joke. You stop pushing updates to a phone to kill it off, yet the phone hasn't reached its full potential yet. Yea sure thats how you sell more phones by making it"obsolete" even though it isn't. But come on you are also making more electronic waste in the world Google. You are an environmental conscious company aren't you?

Last edited:
My suggestion is that they shouldn't cost as much as a damn iPhone. What happened to the cheaper prices of the Nexus 4&5?

My suggestion is that they shouldn't cost as much as a damn iPhone. What happened to the cheaper prices of the Nexus 4&5?

Exactly. You can get a hell of a nice phone for $250 these days and a great phone for $400. What is the point of spending $800? With a 64gb SD card my axon has the same capacity as the pixel. I'm sorry but I see an all glass body as more of a liability than a feature.

I dont understand why everyone wants removable batteries and SD cards.

Why exactly do you need a removable battery?

What do you all do with your phones that require you to have insane amounts of storage?

I want a removable battery because if something happens to the battery in the phone then I don't have to go through all the bullshit involved with disassembling the phone to replace it or having to take it to a shop someplace or send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement (additional expense). It's cheaper for me as a consumer to just have an extra battery or two (and I almost always do since I prefer to buy only devices that offer removable batteries to begin with except in a few situations). Not everybody requires such a thing and I get that, but I do and it's a major thing for me and many many other people.

As for the microSD slot, it's not necessarily about having moar storage as it might be stated in a meme-like manner but more along the lines of it being removable because - as in the case of the battery - if the phone itself up and dies on me for whatever reason if I have data saved to the internal storage that data is for practically all intents and purposes lost forever. If I send the device back to the manufacturer for a repair they won't do anything to save the data (even though they have the technical capability of doing so) and when they do get it working again (assuming they do a board level repair and keep the same exact motherboard/storage chips I sent in for the repair instead of doing a complete motherboard swap) the device will be completely wiped and restored to "factory condition" which again means my data is long long gone whatever it might be.

Contrast that with "external" storage in the form of a microSD slot where the data on that card - in the case of a sudden catastrophic complete failure of the smartphone for some reason - will (with a very high probability of success) survive the failure, even survive a lot of physical damage to the device if it's destroyed in a fall or a potential compression or crushing situation or even both: say you drop a phone on a sidewalk and it bounces off the sidewalk into traffic and it gets run over not once but several times by several vehicles. There's a really good chance (more than most would believe) that the microSD card inside the device - because of how those slots work and the tight tolerances at work - would structurally survive such an event while the phone itself becomes absolutely useless. In that kind of a situation I simply take the microSD card out and voila, my data in the form of pictures or music or videos and such are still accessible.

The first thing I do when I get a new smartphone is get a new (or I re-use) microSD card for it and do the proper formatting in the device itself (not on a computer) and set up all the apps to store data on the microSD card aka "external" storage: pictures that I take with the device using whatever camera app, videos that I take (or download from whatever service for local playback), music I store on the card (easily replaced), and so on.

I'm not saying it's for everyone, but if you find someone like myself that requires or demands a removable battery and/or expandable storage on our smartphones I'm pretty sure they'd end up saying something very similar to what I've just said as their own reasoning for wanting those two "features" and really will avoid most any device that doesn't offer at least one of those two aspects.

Removable battery
Removable SD card
Industry standard fast charging
And most importantly, NOT fucking $850-900 for the top-end model.

The nexus phones did it right.

Does this mean Pixel sales are not that awesome?
Honestly with these prices I might move my wife out of Google for the next upgrade.
Its not like the nexus 6 was cheap, but shit, everybody wants to be fucking Apple price-wise.. I guess the market can bear it, so screw it .. right?
The phones seems great per reviews, but man.. its time phones, even what was very top end 1-2 years ago, should be tanking in price...
There's no excuse, there is that much less materials in a phone, the factories are already there, and tons of research is done.

I dont understand why everyone wants removable batteries and SD cards.

Why exactly do you need a removable battery? I always "demanded" a removable battery until I got a phone with one that isn't... now I don't care. I can replace it in a pinch where the battery has degraded but it would be pointless for day to day use. I imagine it is also very hard to have an easily removable back cover when you are trying to make a phone water resistant.

What do you all do with your phones that require you to have insane amounts of storage?

Removable battery is a big deal for a couple of reasons. Removable batteries typically have larger native capacities, you can buy 3rd party batteries that have greatly increased capacity and if you're like me and hold onto a phone for 3 years or more you just replace your battery when it doesn't last as long between charges. Hell if the Note 7 kept it's removable battery I would have upgraded form my Note 3 and battery gate would have been fixed by issuing everyone new batteries instead of recalling the line. I prefer an SD card for ease of transferring data from phone to phone or phone to PC and on principal I refuse to pay the premium price phone makers charge going form baseline 32/64GB models to 128/256GB versions.

no fucking beveled edge on the glass. Whoever thought that was a good idea on the current pixel should be fired. Every glass screen protector I've tried doesn't seal up around the edge.

THANK YOU!!!

I really have NO idea why they did this, and have seen no real reason given, other than adding to cost and removing the ability to use the only screen protectors that matter!

Does this mean Pixel sales are not that awesome?

I think the official line of comment is that sales are "brisk but underwhelming" or something along those lines. The XL sales can't be good because it's never in stock...anywhere.

Removable battery is a big deal for a couple of reasons. Removable batteries typically have larger native capacities, you can buy 3rd party batteries that have greatly increased capacity and if you're like me and hold onto a phone for 3 years or more you just replace your battery when it doesn't last as long between charges. Hell if the Note 7 kept it's removable battery I would have upgraded form my Note 3 and battery gate would have been fixed by issuing everyone new batteries instead of recalling the line. I prefer an SD card for ease of transferring data from phone to phone or phone to PC and on principal I refuse to pay the premium price phone makers charge going form baseline 32/64GB models to 128/256GB versions.
I agree the gaps for more storage is excessive.
I don't know how new Android software handles SD card, but what I used so far is not too great...
Google could learn from Amazon... on the fire table I have, I added a 32GB SD card, and asked it to move all kinds of crap, and it nearly freed-up all internal storage on the tablet.
How the Fire tablet handles the SD cards could be great option for a value-minded phone.
Amazon should probably do phones again, maybe not locked to Amazon fire, but be a regular Android phone, and with all the Amazon stuff too.
They seem to be dabbling in that actually:
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-R1-HD-Exclusive-Lockscreen/dp/B01H2E0J5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487434038&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+phone&th=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If Google wants feedback, they should as for them via a form, if their forums are limited to a certain number of posts (which is sad for a company like Google).
Anyway, once they go through the submissions, they create a poll with the submissions, and people vote on which features they're interested in, critical, important, would like, don't care...

If the current Pixel were cheaper I'd probably already have one. The fact that it's as expensive as it is (and lacking "official" water resistance) made me want to hold out for ver. 2. Had it launched at say...60-70% of the current cost there wouldn't have even been a debate.

Back