Google Wants to Use AMP to Make Email More Interactive

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google is bringing the power of AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) to email, which will essentially allow applications to run inside messages. The company believes this will offer numerous benefits, such as dynamic, updated content, but critics say that the beauty of email lies in its simplicity and static nature.

This is the great genius and curse of email, that all you can do is send messages back and forth. It’s not always the best option, but it’s rarely the worst. If it’s more complicated than that, you use something other than email: a chat app, a video call, a file host. These useful items are often located adjacent to email, sometimes closely integrated, but they’re never actually part of it. This is a good thing.

The beauty of email lies in its simplicity and static nature. The only additions we've needed since it was introduced are encryption and HTML style text/hyperlinks. IMAP is not better than POP. Also, get off my lawn. :oldman:

Have to like ALL the comments in this thread.

And AMP is pure evil that Google said it wouldn't ever do...so confusing...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that hates AMP I've moved away from using google to search simply because of it. In the end I suppose it's a win win simply because of the privacy aspect anyway lol.

I have a gmail account, but I don't used it. I bet desktop email clients like Thunderbird will have the ability (or a plugin for it will) to filter out AMP crap.

Just gives me the added incentive to actually migrate my accounts and stuff to another email service like GMX, would like to use Protonmail but for some reason a lot of forums (including this one) etc refuse to allow using it (sigh). Anyway thanks google for motivating me into doing something i've been meaning to do for a while now (y)

I tend to prefer Gmail for its relative simplicity and ease of use without having to do do anything special. With that said, I WILL NEVER TOUCH GMAIL AGAIN if they go through with AMP. It's too much of a security risk, one that will hopefully bite Google in the butt when everyone with half a bit of security-mindedness and all enterprise email stops using Gmail. Google seems to be hellbent on driving away consumers with market fragmentation (they're up to what, 5 different messaging apps now?) and security flaws.

Google is only driving away customers that care about privacy. If they can't make money off you then you're not worth it. "If you don't like it, find another service." Shut up and take it.

I kid, but seriously, there would only be checks and balances here if more people become aware.

Just recently if you searched for a picture using google, you could save the photo to your HD as you saw fit. They changed this simple way to having to "save' it to some google cloud place.

If you want the original photo, you 'view saves' and go to the cloud. The cloud doesn't contain the original photo, just a link to the place it came from. Searching for a photo give you two of the same results, the cloud save and the link to the site.

If they can ruin something as simple of getting an original 1920 x 1080 photo and turn it into a 'go to the site to get it' feature, we already know what will happen with active e-mail.

Again gives a sense of folks with no tech experience or security concerns, making decisions that are contrary to security.

I hate AMP so much... On news articles I just intuitively click the link icon and go to the original page. Almost universally better experience. I wish there was a way to opt out.

With email, I can't possibly imagine this being a good thing.

This is the very reason I don't use Google search any more. Fuck that garbage. From now on, it's DuckDuckGo all the way. On Android, where Chrome foolishly doesn't allow you to use DDG, I run the Brave browser instead.

G+ was one thing. Them shoving it down our throats, but this shit is getting out of hand.

Google wants to own me! google already owns too many! Screw google

Back