Google Wants To Use Algorithms To Censor The Internet For Hate Speech

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's with all the crazy algorithm talk lately? Maybe we can use algorithms to search out algorithms and put an end to algorithms altogether. ;)

“It’s our responsibility to demonstrate that stability and free expression go hand in hand,” he writes. “We should build tools to help de-escalate tensions on social media—sort of like spell-checkers, but for hate and harassment.”

Oh ya that is what we need. A multi billion dollar Corporation telling us what we should think and say. Nothing could go wrong.

Oh ya that is what we need. A multi billion dollar Corporation telling us what we should think and say. Nothing could go wrong.

That seems to be a negative thought that you have expressed there, would you like to change it yourself to a more positive one or would you rather our ThoughtPolice Algorithm to run over it and change it automatically?

That seems to be a negative thought that you have expressed there, would you like to change it yourself to a more positive one or would you rather our ThoughtPolice Algorithm to run over it and change it automatically?

You are implying that someone's negative thought could be negative. This comment will be held in queue until reviewed and adjustments to it can be made by the company, after which it shall be posted for you.

It's that same old slippery slope.

The RIAA wants ISPs to help them fight copyright infringement.
The government forced the same thing on Universities.
Google now thinks they should have a hand at fighting hate speech.

This is the perfect example of exactly the slippery slope we are on that started with the copyright infringement and is now slipping along all happy. A terms of service and responding to complaints isn't enough. Google is thinking of automating it. Not sure how well an algorithm can sort out vile hateful speech that is devoid of any "buzz words" but I think this is how Skynet is born.

"Stability" is the rationale China, Cuba, and North Korea all use to justify censorship. Literally, the term "Stability" is found in nearly every official statement about suppressing free speech.

When "hate speech" is banned, those who define what "hate" consists of will be able to gag their ideological opponents.

Liberals should really consider the long term consequences of such a policy, since history shows that in nearly every leftist movement, the same people who helped put the left into power end up in front of a figurative (or literal) firing squad.

The western world is rapidly becoming like a fascist state, with controls on what we can think and what we can say, with mass surveillance programmes to make sure we're not thinking or saying the wrong things, and with social engineering programmes to manipulate the make-up of society.

What's worse is that it's both governments and corporations acting hand-in-hand to achieve these goals, so we have no hope of salvation.

I'm not even sure where to move to in order to avoid this lunacy. Japan looks like the best bet at the moment. At least I'll be able to play DoA Xtreme 3 without fear of being harassed by the thought police.

Google has long been nudging people toward views that are favorable to what Google wants. Now they can do it more efficiently. But they needed a socially acceptable way to frame it, so the war on hate speech begins.

What comes to mind is the opening speech of the first resident evil movie. just replace umbrella with Google.

Apparently "Freedom" is now equivalent to "Censorship" according to things like this.

Freedom = Censorship
Censorship = Anti-Censorship

Oxymorons are fun!

Two things are gonna happen if Google is able to do this.
First some new websites will popup similar to damnyouautocorrect and fyouautocorrect, but they will be damnyouthoughtpolice.com or something like that.
Second thing is that every word that has been negative in the past but is accepted as normal now will probably be banned. Like black rappers using the word ++++++ will be considered hate speech so google will destroy an entire type of music.

Damn, the thoughtpolice of hardocp auto deleted the word I was talking about!!
I guess everyone here can figure it out but if you can't... Its the N word.

Damn, the thoughtpolice of hardocp auto deleted the word I was talking about!!
I guess everyone here can figure it out but if you can't... Its the N word.

this place doesnt censor words.

++++ the +++++++ +++++++ in the +++

see I can use the N word with no problem, probably an addon on your browser that does it.

The western world is rapidly becoming like a fascist state, with controls on what we can think and what we can say, with mass surveillance programmes to make sure we're not thinking or saying the wrong things, and with social engineering programmes to manipulate the make-up of society.

What's worse is that it's both governments and corporations acting hand-in-hand to achieve these goals, so we have no hope of salvation.

I'm all for not being an asshole and not saying hurtful things. It's just being a good person. But, I think it's shit to not allow that talk or to filter it. That's a lot worse than the speech itself to me. Not everything needs to be controlled. There is no utopia, the government and corporations need to figure that out. I want a nice world like everyone else, but not at the expense of human expression.

Hate speech. Define hate speech. At what level is something just offensive vs. being hate speech? Is a Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins considered hate speech? Is calling someone an asshole hate speech? Even the N word doesn't have to be hate speech. That algorithm will probably take context into account, but I still don't think people should be silenced like that. To me, that's a hate move. They hate freedom of speech (not to be confused with the Constitutional Freedom of Speech) and personal thought.

Like black rappers using the word ++++++ will be considered hate speech so google will destroy an entire type of music.

Ni&&a is not hate speech. It's the black term. Whites aren't allowed to use it. We have to use the hard R with it.

It's that same old slippery slope.

The RIAA wants ISPs to help them fight copyright infringement.
The government forced the same thing on Universities.
Google now thinks they should have a hand at fighting hate speech.

This is the perfect example of exactly the slippery slope we are on that started with the copyright infringement and is now slipping along all happy. A terms of service and responding to complaints isn't enough. Google is thinking of automating it. Not sure how well an algorithm can sort out vile hateful speech that is devoid of any "buzz words" but I think this is how Skynet is born.

hell hath frozen

I am agreeing with icpiper...

Shouldn't the biggest search engine be supporting a FREE internet? I don't agree with racism, homophobia, bigotry, ect, but this is stupid..

Wow. Think about how many fucked up kids this is going to create. SJW have already done enough damage, we don't need google taking reality out of the internet. If you can't deal with the fact that other people have ideas and opinions contrary to yours (and they might even be offensive) you need to fix THAT, not "fix" the world so that nothing can trigger you.

You guys seriously you think helping places like facebook do a better job censoring stuff does more harm than good? Do you not realize there's almost NO PLACE ON THE INTERNET that has truly free speech, including this forum? So he wants to help take an extra step forward, to try and stop groups like ISIS which is very much a result of the freedom internet provides. Do some people feel a bit grumpy about it, complain about "they took our guns", but if it saves even 1 innocent person from dying wouldn't that be worth it?

Not trying to say you are wrong for feeling the way you do, just curious to know the reason behind such response.

Wow. Think about how many fucked up kids this is going to create. SJW have already done enough damage, we don't need google taking reality out of the internet. If you can't deal with the fact that other people have ideas and opinions contrary to yours (and they might even be offensive) you need to fix THAT, not "fix" the world so that nothing can trigger you.

***Triggered***

How dare you say the thin-skinned, self-entitled ninnys can't have their way! What type of world is this?!

Wheres my trophy for making this post? I was told everyone gets a trophy!

Now on a non-sarcastic note, fuck google for even thinking about censoring. Talk about a bunch of hypocritical jizz-guzzling thunder++++s.

I'm going to have to start putting in random borderline or over the line hateful comments in all my forum posts from this point forward!

People shouldn't be assholes. But, there are a lot of them. Some people won't agree with you (and won't agree with a lot of emotion behind it). That's reality.

Like I told my kids when they started getting a bit older - some people aren't going to like you. Some people aren't going to want to be your friends. Be cool to everyone, though. Don't be a dick, and you'll have the friends that matter.

I think one of the biggest things with people being offended (which I have no problem with), is how they handle being offended. If you're response is to want to control the other person and require trigger warnings, etc., you're doing it wrong. It's ok to cry. It's ok to bitch and moan. It's ok to just fucking ignore that person that is saying shit! Nothing has to be confrontational. It's ok to just ignore it.

People these days have had their parents make sure they are ok and not exposed to the bad things in the world, including people being assholes. They are helpless.

google wants to be thought police? no thanks. if it was an optional filter, i would be ok with it.

They're like already filtering results of searches and censoring stuff like naughty mister software pirate junk so I can see why Google wants to go one step further and how it's totally an easy thing for them to justify to themselves. There's no place in the world for that kinda thinking and that sort of information doesn't belong in the internet which is, as we all know, for cat pics and linux distros only. But yeah, just because they're already doing it doesn't mean its okay. However, using a different search engine is probably a better idea since Alphabet-Google is gonna data mine anyway so you may as well get used to something else that doesn't already while you have a chance. Getting away from Google is the only way to let the company know that what they're doing isn't okay and if Google stops spying and censoring, maybe since Microsoft is pretty much an "us-too" company, they'll take similar steps to cut back on the spyware in their new operating systems (and not start censoring stuff too since they're pretty much doomed to emulate other companies that do different things).

Google needs to fix their search algorithm first. It is awful and noticeably worse than it used to be.

If they can't even "censor" fake search results, useless content farms, and SEO scammers what makes them think they can effectively censor hate speeches?

You guys seriously you think helping places like facebook do a better job censoring stuff does more harm than good? Do you not realize there's almost NO PLACE ON THE INTERNET that has truly free speech, including this forum? So he wants to help take an extra step forward, to try and stop groups like ISIS which is very much a result of the freedom internet provides. Do some people feel a bit grumpy about it, complain about "they took our guns", but if it saves even 1 innocent person from dying wouldn't that be worth it?

Not trying to say you are wrong for feeling the way you do, just curious to know the reason behind such response.

Funny when GW Bush and Company said the same thing the liberal left howled for blood. When a Leftist corporation says the same thing they quietly applaud.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither"

Are you trying to quote Benjamin Franklin, thinking he would say the same thing in this particular case?

You guys seriously you think helping places like facebook do a better job censoring stuff does more harm than good?
Yes. That's not even a difficult one to understand. How could you handle what I'll call "reality"(daily interactions with other humans, face to face) if you can't handle interacting with people in a format that allows you to very literally "walk away" without the aid of censorship? What sort of world view would a child raised in that environment have? That no one says or does hateful things? Censorship does not stop or remove, it merely hides.

Do you not realize there's almost NO PLACE ON THE INTERNET that has truly free speech, including this forum?
Do you not realize you're wrong? If Kyle wanted to turn this site into a raunchier /b he could. He could also post an article about how fat people in Norway are the real terrorists or how we all need to stand up and help Mexico invade the US. YOUR content might be censored, but then you're a guest on someone else's website. There's a real big difference.

So he wants to help take an extra step forward, to try and stop groups like ISIS which is very much a result of the freedom internet provides. Do some people feel a bit grumpy about it, complain about "they took our guns", but if it saves even 1 innocent person from dying wouldn't that be worth it?

No. No it wouldn't. Not that I can see how censoring hate speech will somehow have an impact on ISIS, but even if it did, it's not worth it.

Do you not realize you're wrong? If Kyle wanted to turn this site into a raunchier /b he could.
Sorry, I was referring to the owner of a site being able to censor it's guests. I should've been more clear. Saying there's "NO WHERE" was a bit extreme, too...

it's not worth it.
ok

I totally agree that being able to vent your hatred, anger, and other negative emotions, is a healthy and important thing. It doesn't have to be welcomed everywhere though. Or does it?

Wow, just let them talk dude. It makes it that much easier to find them and kill them, sheesh :D

I totally agree that being able to vent your hatred, anger, and other negative emotions, is a healthy and important thing. It doesn't have to be welcomed everywhere though. Or does it?

Is this in some way related to schools that have 0 tolerance on violence. Two kids can't get into a scrap without being expelled, etc. After a decade of this trend and an entire generation of kids spending their youth under this umbrella we can't see any correlation between this suppression of emotion and kids going wacko and killing their teachers and classmates.

Am I the only one here that thinks there exists a relationship between these two developments?

I just think that not allowing kids to learn to deal with human behavior, good and bad, leaves a kid with a mental state one step short of helplessness and that just can't be a comfortable place to spend your life.

Well, I think that should really fall back to solid parenting... but no doubt that's a whole 'nother ball of mess!!

I have no issue with it at all. Google is a corporation that provides a service, if they want to change how the service works that's totally within their rights.

People can switch to different services if they like, not all services, browsers or search engines are going to be the same.

thank you liberals and leftist you gave outdone yourselves now its time for you to figure out more ways to steal from the rich.

Funny when GW Bush and Company said the same thing the liberal left howled for blood. When a Leftist corporation says the same thing they quietly applaud.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither"

This man gets it.

but if it saves even 1 innocent person from dying wouldn't that be worth it?

thats called a rationalization, otherwise more granularly known as an appeal to emotion - which is a logical fallacy &, unfortunately for you, invalid as intellectual justification for any semblance of concrete argumentation.

so...is it orwell or huxley? 1984 - or brave new world?

meanwhile, we are ignoring the fact that 90% of people dont even know how to define hate speech, or terrorism, or any other buzzword being thrown around lately in our social circles of short sighted armchair-philosophizer gossipers who are positively brimming with strong & shallow opinions. no, its not "very offensive" or "irregularly violent", by the way

Back