Google Wants to Teach You How to Breastfeed Your Baby

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you need Google to help you with breastfeeding, something is seriously wrong.

Today, Google announced a new series of Helpouts aimed at (mostly) new parents, with advice on breastfeeding, nutrition, sleep, behavioral issues, babyproofing, post-pregnancy fitness, and how to get your career back on track.

Baby books...tons of them...and when you give birth and are laying around all dazed from the drugs you get, they kinda explain how to do that (like it needs to be explained except for the making sure there's a good latching on). I'm pretty sure Google is the LAST company I'd trust to tell about a pregnancy since they're already mining waaaay too much stuff.

This seems like something that would have come from Marissa Mayer and Yahoo.

Hospitals provide lactation consultants to help new mothers with breast feeding. Most all nurses are semi trained as lactation consultants as well so such a video series is stupid.

Google... Do something smart for once like leverage your brands that people give a shit about (I.e. Voice) and expand on them!

Is this a way to work around the data privacy issues for the under-13 crowd? We aren't keeping track on the baby, we're keeping track on the mother having a child and everything she does for the child. Sigh.

Look, some new mothers have issues with breastfeeding and are extremely uncomfortable asking stranger, friends or family for advice.
One more option to help a distressed new mother can only be a good thing.

Look, some new mothers have issues with breastfeeding and are extremely uncomfortable asking stranger, friends or family for advice.

After showing off their vagina to the same people, they're afraid about asking about breastfeeding? Please. All nursery nurses are there to help women with breastfeeding.

So the information is available in several formats already (healthcare industry, books, person-to-person advice, training sessions), and you guys are all upset that Google is now making it available in an electronic format?

Seems odd.

Breastfeeding is the #1 way to ruin perkiness, and honestly the best way to baby proof your house is to wear a condom in the first place. An ounce of prevention and so forth...

If you haven't read the article, Google is setting up video chats with healthcare professionals for a fee:

"Some of the advice is free; the rest is available for a set price or a per-minute charge. The Pump Station, for example, charges $175 for a 90-minute sleep consultation; Night Nannies costs slightly more than $1 a minute. Google takes a 20 percent cut of any fees collected and offers a 100 percent refund if you’re not satisfied."

After showing off their vagina to the same people, they're afraid about asking about breastfeeding? Please. All nursery nurses are there to help women with breastfeeding.

I know it seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, but when your hormones are raging and your emotions are all over the place postpartum can make women do some things that defy all logic.

Unless you've given birth and went through postpartum or experienced it with someone you care about you'll never get it.

Breastfeeding is the #1 way to ruin perkiness, and honestly the best way to baby proof your house is to wear a condom in the first place. An ounce of prevention and so forth...

Thank goodness most men are obese these days and are busy grown a nice perky set of their own so they can talk to each others' breasts at the office all day long instead of making eye contact with each other. :D

I know it seems like it shouldn't be a big deal, but when your hormones are raging and your emotions are all over the place postpartum can make women do some things that defy all logic.

Unless you've given birth and went through postpartum or experienced it with someone you care about you'll never get it.
Agreed. It's obvious who here has not experienced difficulty with breastfeeding, which EXTENDS BEYOND THE 1-3 DAY STAY AT THE HOSPITAL for many women. Yes, lactation consultants are often available at the hospital, but guess what. They cost money beyond that if you still need help. In my case, each consultation my wife and I had cost about $200.

Thankfully, we did not have any issues with our daughters right off the bat. Both were excellent. But I could absolutely see that as extremely stressful/frustrating if they just won't latch on and eat.

Having a newborn can be stressful (as well as amazing). But add lack of sleep and the stress of your new child not eating and taking in nutrients at a critical period!?!?! The more resources the better.

A whole lot of people, with absolutely no experience on the subject, commenting in this thread I see.

There aren't a billion websites already on this?

I thought Google was a search engine and not a content provider. If they gave decent search results, they wouldn't need to do this.

I see they tacted on a little twist you might not get is you looked explicitly for baby health content. One of these has nothing to do with health and everything with imposing expectations on a woman.

"with advice on breastfeeding, nutrition, sleep, behavioral issues, babyproofing, post-pregnancy fitness, and how to get your career back on track. "

It's really minor in the grand scheme of things and nothing your forced to do, but its there.

I mean Google has successfully inserted itself between people and content. So is the future of Google going to be to start protelytizing?

Hospitals provide lactation consultants to help new mothers with breast feeding. Most all nurses are semi trained as lactation consultants as well so such a video series is stupid.

Not in my or my friends experience. Nurses are quick to pull out a bottle if the baby doesn't take right away. We learn this with my first son who was resistant at first. Luckily the pediatrician we had was very knowledgeable in breastfeeding. Our friends were pretty much told they were killing their baby by the nurse since there baby wasn’t latching. It was completely bull but they didn’t know better.

Don’t see the big deal about this. It’s always good to how this kind of info readily available. Not all births take place in a hospital. Home births are getting more popular.

Women tend to not make sense. Who woulda thunk?

[quoteOur friends were pretty much told they were killing their baby by the nurse since there baby wasn’t latching. It was completely bull but they didn’t know better.[/quote]

And then there's this. Nurses and Doctors, while "trained professionals", are also people, and people are assholes.

I don't see whats wrong with throwing more knowledge at people so long as its correct and accurate knowledge.

yea, not sure how this can be a bad thing, just another option to try and help women out a little. I agree that it seems like the best option is to take advantage of on-staff nurses, but if you want that extra edge with google ads targeting your infact from day 0 then by all means go with google.

IF you ever have kids one thing you might want to know when it comes to breast perkiness. The act of lactating, which is stimulated via breastfeeding, is the main reason the vagina regains its original shape.

So while it has not been proven that breast feeding causes droop, ask yourself if it did. Which is more important a little droop on the stoop, or parking your car in a motorhome sized garage?

Y'all should listen to SGA76 if you have never raised children and been around a spouse that has struggled with breastfeeding.

I used to think that breastfeeding was more or less instinct, and since humans have been doing it for 10's of 1000's of years it really cant be that hard right? WRONG.

Breastfeeding can be very difficult and very complicated. It is also very taxing. The #1 reason people goto formula is because of failed breastfeeding, and it happens ALOT.

A typical infant feeds every ~2hrs, and even when latching and feeding correctly, they can sometimes take 30-60 mins to feed. Anyone here feel like spending every other hour of your life (night time when you wan to sleep included) for 6+ months straight caring for an infant?

The idiocy and lack of compassion written by those without children is frustrating to see. Breastfeeding is not as simple as put baby near breast and commence feeding. It can go very smoothly, but often times its difficult. There is nothing wrong with additional options for learning being made available.

Baby books...tons of them...and when you give birth and are laying around all dazed from the drugs you get, they kinda explain how to do that (like it needs to be explained except for the making sure there's a good latching on). I'm pretty sure Google is the LAST company I'd trust to tell about a pregnancy since they're already mining waaaay too much stuff.

Well most of the advice you need is when it isn't going the usual route despite following the advice. Then you find out "lactation consultant" is really a checkbox for some 3rd party accreditation or endorsement of the facility for advertising purposes, or a license to be a condescending twat. When the kid pops out teething, I can tell you there is a relative dearth of good info on how to still get breast milk out of the boob and into the kid in any kind of volume.

There is literally NO way of hiding that your household had a kid short of locking people up in a windowless room, so who cares about google. I guarantee you the hospital has a contract with one of the major companies making baby chow or care accessories, and sold your info on pretty much immediately.

Back