Google Voice "unstable network" error over wifi

OFaceSIG

2[H]4U
I'm really at a loss as to what to do with my Google Voice service. I've been using it for over a decade. Mostly on android but also on iOS.

In the last couple weeks, only over WiFi, I keep getting "unstable network" errors while making calls and the call audio is severely delayed. This, like I said, is very new. Mobile data calls are fine. I can do google voice calls from my laptop with no issue.

I'm using a OnePlus 8 (I've had it for two years). Completely up to date. I uninstalled and re-installed google voice on my phone to no avail.

Unfortunately my main number I've had since 2002 is my Google voice number. It's tough to have your primary number, on your only phone, have constant issues.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Mine has been saying that for a while now, oneplus nord 200n, even on good wifi networks. Audio quality is fine for me, though.

Mine has been saying that for a while now, oneplus nord 200n, even on good wifi networks. Audio quality is fine for me, though.

Is yours fine on Mobile Data?

I wonder if OnePlus did something.

I tried my phone on my neighbors wifi as well and it might be a Frontier issue. He also has Frontier and my phone doesn't complain when it's on a cable ISP. I wonder if Frontier is doing some throttling shenanigans with Google.

I don't know if the Google voice app was updated or what, but for now, the unstable network errors have gone away on WiFi.

I don't know if the Google voice app was updated or what, but for now, the unstable network errors have gone away on WiFi.
Yeah, same here. Google probably pushed an update. No telling though, since (it seems) they don't need to go through the playstore for system apps anymore.

Yeah, same here. Google probably pushed an update. No telling though, since (it seems) they don't need to go through the playstore for system apps anymore.
It's crazy thought that we're both OnePlus users and were both having issues and now they've subsided.

My issues are back. Yours?

Got ahold of a OnePlus 9 Pro from [H] and at first the issue was gone. Then I got upgraded to Android 13 and the issue is back. This is definately an issue with the Google Voice app. Reddit threads and threads on Google voice support show Samsung and iPhone users having issues at various points over the last few years. So frustrating.

Guys, turn off "Wifi calling" and/or disable your phone's eSIM - your telephone provider's network is interfering with Google Voice's network.

Guys, turn off "Wifi calling" and/or disable your phone's eSIM - your telephone provider's network is interfering with Google Voice's network.
I will try this but I'm fairly certain I had this error on Cricket. Which is ATT and didn't support WiFi calling at the time I had it. I have Mint now and they do support Wifi calling, but as I said I'm certain I had the same issue on Cricket. I don't even understand on technically this could occur. Google voice is a seperate app from the internally calling functionality of the phone.

This is still happening from time to time. I forced Google voice to use the carrier's network for everything, but IMO this defeats the purpose. Call quality isn't even as good over the carrier network. This only happens over WiFi calling. Not over cellular calls, not over the Google Voice portal on a PC.

I realize Google Voice is a free product and beggars can't be choosers but I've read forum posts about this for like a decade now.

I realize Google Voice is a free product and beggars can't be choosers but I've read forum posts about this for like a decade now.

I almost wish they would charge a small monthly fee and put a team against this to keep the app updated and add new features (like RCS support!).

I almost wish they would charge a small monthly fee and put a team against this to keep the app updated and add new features (like RCS support!).
I would gladly pay a few bucks a month to support a team like that.

Back