Google Voice Gets First Update in Five Years

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Seems that Google Voice has just gotten it's first update in 5 years. The update adds group functionality to messaging, and MMS for all major carriers. It now has picture MMS support and divides your inbox into separate tabs for text messages, calls, and voice mails. They even added in Spanish translation! If you're used to using Hangouts, it's fine to keep using that, but you're welcome to try the new Google Voice apps. Also they are promising to update Google Voice more often.

When we first introduced Google Voice our goal was to create "one number for life"—a phone number that’s tied to you, rather than a single device or a location. Since then, millions of people have signed up to use Google Voice to call, text and get voicemail on all their devices. It’s been several years since we’ve made significant updates to the Google Voice apps (and by several, we mean around five wink, but today we’re bringing a fresh set of features to Google Voice with updates to our apps on Android, iOS and the web

This is GREAT! I recently ported over my old cell number to Google Voice and have been worried about the stagnation. It's already been some great integration, now no worries at all.

Reactions: rat
like this
Yay I no longer have to worry as much of when Google pulls the plug!
MAN. Tell me about it. my gv number is my main number and I was seriously concerned that they would streamline google voice. so thankful right now. Let's just hope they dont break it.

Maybe I can finally switch back from hangouts now. I'll have to check it out.

Hope Google Voice appears soon the iTunes Store in Canada. Only available in the US for now. Hangouts is doing the job for me until support drops ...

In photos, or the old photo albums you can still get to from G+ you can see the multimedia items you've sent in GV but not what You've received. I'd like to be able to see both sides. It's not like it's a permissions issue since once you get it they can't take it back.

This really is a relief. I've been slightly worried for a few years, and thought it was a good sign when Fi came out. I may have to take another look at Fi now.

Back