Google Updates Maps And Earth NASA Satellite Imagery

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google announced today that it has updated Google Maps and Google Earth using tons of data from NASA's newest Landsat satellite. You should be seeing the updated imagery in both apps soon. I snagged the example image below from the announcement page to give you an idea of the difference in quality.

Three years ago we introduced a cloud-free mosaic of the world in Google Earth. Today we’re rolling out an even more beautiful and seamless version, with fresh imagery from Landsat 8 satellite and new processing techniques for sharper images than ever before. Satellite images are often cloudy, but not always over the same place, so we looked at millions of images and took the clearest pixels to stitch together this cloud-free and seamless image.

Hopefully they'll get some better shots of Southern Ontario. It's absolute crap right now unless you're in a major city.

I look forward to looking at this, I can see major improvements. I hope we can zoom in closer, I like looking at the updates and watch the progress I have made on my property.

i always heard the goverment told them to degrade thos images for a reasion from other countrys .
(NOW THE TRUTH COMES OUT )

THE TRUTH WILL ALWAYS COME OUT IN THE END .

I look forward to looking at this, I can see major improvements. I hope we can zoom in closer, I like looking at the updates and watch the progress I have made on my property.
These are satellite images, the largest zoom in level was always made of aerial imagery. This overhaul only affects zoom levels above that.

Woot, this is the project I work on. I spent several years of my pitiful life getting this thing built and launched. We are starting L9 right now as well...

L8 is flying over the ISS right now: An Unlikely Eye on Orbiting Objects : Image of the Day

and if you ever want to see imagery as it is being received, earthnow.usgs.gov is a Java site...

Last edited:
Back