Google Unceremoniously Removes the Tablet Section from Official Android Website

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
It appears that Google has given up on tablets, as the official Android website no longer hosts a section dedicated to slates. Some say that Android tablets will not be missed, as Chromebooks represent a better alternative.

This isn't surprising in the slightest considering that Google's last tablet was the overpriced Pixel C from 2015, and the quiet removal from the Android site without any big announcement goes to show that Google knows no one really cares about Android tablets and haven't for some time.

Of our tablets in our district the Androids were frustrating to manage at best. Apple didn’t make it much better but at least they had some solid MDM solutions. Chromebooks are awesome, good enough that FOIPPA issues aside we could ditch 90% of our Apple and Microsoft systems for them. They are cheap, licensing for the management system is simple and straight forward, MDM is a breeze, and they get frequent updates.

I'd actually buy [another] updated Nexus 7 if it was available. I use a Fire HD7 because it was dirt cheap, but the Nexus 7 was better for its time than the Fire tablet is now, and I'd rather have an Android tablet than a FireOS tablet.

I love my Pixel C.
I loved my Nexus 9 before that (and wished they had kept supporting it with updates).
Can't understand this really. Chromebooks are a better alternative??? Help me reconcile that one.

Chromebooks are a better alternative?
Simple, it's more of a desktop OS. I foresee ChromeOS essentially being the future of the desktop. The building blocks are already there, you can run Android apps in a window and you can multitask. If and when the industry embraces it is the day Microsoft is dead.

I'd actually buy [another] updated Nexus 7 if it was available. I use a Fire HD7 because it was dirt cheap, but the Nexus 7 was better for its time than the Fire tablet is now, and I'd rather have an Android tablet than a FireOS tablet.
I'm using a 2017 Fire 10(~$100 new, black friday) coming from using a Nexus 7.2 (~$200 new) daily for 4 years. Last week I picked up the 7 and turned it on to check the charge, it felt unfamiliar.

I wish someone made a reasonably priced "stock" android tablet, but for now the fire 10 (with sideloaded google apps) is doing everything I need it to do.

*Shrug* I already have a tablet, a Surface Pro 3 and I hardly ever use that, at least in comparison to my desktops. As far as the Chromebook being a good desktop replacement, I suppose if you prefer your data completely on Google's servers, than it would be good. However, most folks would not and banking, healthcare and other industries are not going to place their data on Google's servers so, the idea of Chromebooks being a good desktop OS, ever, is not going to happen.

It's still alive and well as far as I can tell...

upload_2018-6-2_21-58-39.png

Update, June 2: According to the SVP of Android, Hiroshi Lockheimer, the section was removed accidentally during a routine update. It's back now.

...wew?

Since 6inch phone , tablets don't make sense... Its not like you are typing any faster if using the touch screen.

Google is now in the overpriced smartphone business only... I guess overpriced tablet sell even less i am sure they will drop it soon enough.

Since 6inch phone , tablets don't make sense... Its not like you are typing any faster if using the touch screen.
Great point...unless you don't want to carry a large phone and/or use the two devices for different things.

Update, June 2: According to the SVP of Android, Hiroshi Lockheimer, the section was removed accidentally during a routine update. It's back now.

...wew?

So what we had here was a whole article based on nothing more than opinion and a temporary glitch. It seems no one at android central or android police bothered to even check with anyone at Google about it and just ran with a story based only on their opinion of Android Tablets. "Journalists" are trying so hard to be the ones to break the news that they are actually breaking the whole business of journalism itself with these mistakes.

I don't see many tablets being used in the business world. When the iPad's where launched, I saw a lot of people trying to use these like a laptop. It had to be miserable. Limited software, input options sucked, and connectivity issues. Things have improved over time, but I think they are still too limited.
I use my phone only when I have to for business use. It's fine for reading an email/text/Slack - but not great for replies unless it's a short answer. Tablets are largely just a bigger phone.

I have a Fire tablet ($35 during a sale) - I never use it. I've been watching media on my trips to work - but only use my phone. This is a laziness thing, but I'd have to remember to charge my tablet and it's another device to carry.

Simple, it's more of a desktop OS. I foresee ChromeOS essentially being the future of the desktop. The building blocks are already there, you can run Android apps in a window and you can multitask. If and when the industry embraces it is the day Microsoft is dead.
I won't make any predictions as to the future of computing.

BUT

Maybe I just lead a busy life...but I use my tablet *every* single day. Primarily when I crawl into bed at night, I might do some browsing, some kindle reading, YouTube video watching, etc. before I goto sleep. Then since I get up so early, I actually use alarms on both my tablet and phone offset by 1 min to make sure I get up in the morning. I couldn't dream of hauling out a chromebook (or full sized laptop) to do the same thing, and yes I know there's convertibles but I'm not sure I want to buy something I don't need either.

I guess that makes me a super-duper fringe edge case, but I honestly wouldn't have thought so.

I won't make any predictions as to the future of computing.
Maybe I just lead a busy life...but I use my tablet *every* single day. Primarily when I crawl into bed at night, I might do some browsing, some kindle reading, YouTube video watching, etc. before I goto sleep.
Same usescenario here. My 10" Xperia Z2 has served me pretty well, between this and my gaming desktop I haven't had the need for a laptop in 5 years. In the living room a ShieldTV does all the media stuff.

I've been pondering on how to replace the Z2 when it runs out of charge capacity, and seeing the Android tablet days going away I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. The lightest Windows tablet/2in1 is probably twice the weight of this 450gr. Xperia :/

P.S.: And yeah, old eyes don't like watching youtube on a 6" screen anymore.

I have a nexus 7 and I have an ipad, to be honest the nexus 7 just collects dust and the ipad is used daily.

Back