Google Tracks The Most Misspelled Words By State

HardOCP News

[H] News
Other than getting a laugh at how many states can't spell diarrhea, I have no idea why Google keeps track of this kind of stuff. I can see spelling leprechaun wrong but who can't spell gray? The best one on the map in my opinion? Massachusetts can't spell Massachusetts. :D

These aren't misspellings per se, they are the results of searches that began with "how to spell".

Reactions: Youn
like this
This is the best data collection I have seen in a long time.

I am waiting for someone to take that pic and prank everyone by changing the words to absurd stuff. Like "and" or other funny/stupid words or something to pick on a particular state. :p

what the hell is a boutineer (hawaii's)? I had to look it up just now
I was curious so I also looked it up. For anyone else:

It's the little floral decoration worn by men, like by a groom at a wedding.

I'm never comfortable trying to spell 'inconvenience' without spellcheck.

Other than getting a laugh at how many states can't spell diarrhea

Well at least Nevada has an excuse with the hookers, cocaine, and excessive drinking!

...not sure what the hookers have to do with liquid poops

I always use grey. Fuck gray!!!

Side note: Idiots in NV can't spell cousin? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
English spelling. And I'm bloody well damn pissed off they keep messing with our language. The bunch of punters!

Wouldn't that be tossers or something like that instead? I thought punters was more like shoppers/buyers... Also, pissed is drunk over there. :D Sod it!!

(My wife and I watch tonnes of British television... ...in colour no less...)

canceled is fine.

and the most misspelled word is probably rediculous. A lot of you make this mistake.

I would have thought West Virginia would be something like "cat"

:D

If California doesn't see rain soon they'll learn how to spell desert pretty quick.

If California doesn't see rain soon they'll learn how to spell desert pretty quick.
Rain last season was 95% of normal average, which is great for the short term.

The problem isn't that California will become a desert, rainfall mostly affects how much cheap water is available for agriculture (the by far largest consumer).

Hawaii can't spell Hawaii either lol.

Why the heck are there so many states in the NE can't spell cancelled?

I though this was a top 10 list of words used to describe the presidential candidates :p

WTF is with so many people needing to spell leprechaun so often that it tops the list of misspelled words in Utah and Arkansas?

That said, yeah, some words are not exactly easy to spell especially considering how most people pronounce them, definitely for instance, most people pronounce de-fan-et-ly so they figure an a would be in there. And then there are words that have no rhyme or reason why they need to be spelled the way they do... I'm looking at you military, sergeant is pushing the limits, but colonel? does anyone pronounce it as "cole-o-nel?" everyone I've heard pronounces it with a god damn R sound in KER-nal

I feel like we should be worried by the amount of states that had grey/gray as top searches. Most people will accept either one usually.

Lived in Mass for almost 10 years now. Still can't spell that fucking state. Probably should put the effort in to lock that down.

Nevada has trouble spelling cousin. Is there a joke in there?

...Were they spelling it "wife or husband"?

"Grey" is acceptable.
I'm from Michigan and trust me, if you live under gray skies for 6 mo's out of the year, you know how to spell it. Grey is a perfectly valid spelling and considering it's the proper spelling in Canada and England - it's not improper here. Ontario's influence probably explains why grey is as popular as gray in Michigan. I think Google should have stuck to actual misspellings in their tracking.

The biggest misspelled thing I have noticed: "I could care less" (so.... why are you not caring less?)

It's because he or she couldn't care less about phrasing that correctly. :p

Back