Google to Stop Scanning Your Emails for Gmail Ads

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Diane Greene, SVP Google Cloud, is blogging that Google will very soon stop reading your emails in order to advertise to you even inside the free version of Gmail. But have no fear, Google will use all its other data to figure out what needs to be advertised.

G Suite’s Gmail is already not used as input for ads personalization, and Google has decided to follow suit later this year in our free consumer Gmail service. Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ads personalization after this change. This decision brings Gmail ads in line with how we personalize ads for other Google products. Ads shown are based on users’ settings. Users can change those settings at any time, including disabling ads personalization. G Suite will continue to be ad free.

Don't celebrate. This just means Google has discovered a way to "be more evil" [tm].

How about instead of saying you are to eventually stop, you just stop and say so.

How about instead of saying you are to eventually stop, you just stop and say so.

you mean like when they kept saying they were going to delete all those SSIDs and keys? Sorry, we thought we deleted those and stopped storing them. We promise we will stop this time. 3 months later, we don't know how we accidently purchased an entire building to house servers to store this data, we thought we told our guys to delete it.

After 12 years of using Google's services I'm still waiting for them to actually do something with all this supposed data they have on me.

I don't get anything from them. I rarely get spam or offers from anyone else. I don't get stuff through the post or phone calls.

Maybe I just don't fit into any easy demographic but I do think a lot of this supposed 'data slurping' is total bullshit.

Back