Google to sell multiple Nexus devices when it launches Android 5.0?

Everything related to mobile phones is cheaper/better in Europe/Asia. We are at the mercy of the big carriers here are a monopoly and have federal protection, so there's hardly any competition and the customer always loses.

Do you think Google will announce the Nexus line of phones/tablets at I/O? I very much doubt it but if they confirmed it it would put a lot of people's plans to buy phones on hold.
It looks like there will be no Nexus phone for Jellybean - just a tablet.

Just putting clues together:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ean-will-be-coming-to-the-galaxy-nexus-first/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/25/google-nexus-tablet-reportedly-shows-its-pre-rendered-face/

...and looking at history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus

Makes me conclude that there will be no JellyBean Nexus phone. They skipped Froyo, they will most likely skip this...especially since the GNex was only released 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Just putting clues together:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ean-will-be-coming-to-the-galaxy-nexus-first/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/25/google-nexus-tablet-reportedly-shows-its-pre-rendered-face/

...and looking at history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Nexus

Makes me conclude that there will be no JellyBean Nexus phone. They skipped Froyo, they will most likely skip this...especially since the GNex was only released 6 months ago.

You are correct, in that there will be no Nexus-Four brand new phone coming with Jellybean tomorrow. Android 4.1 Jellybean is said to be pushed to the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus almost immediately, and the other Galaxy Nexus phones also expected to get it shortly after, but who knows with Verizon, could be a month before we get it, but it is coming.

But there still is the next generation Nexus phone due out at it's normal release window of Nov/Dec later this year. Question what will that be running at launch ? Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, or will Key Lime Pie be more of a 4.5 update ? But for sure the next 4th generation of Nexus phones is still coming the end of this year, just no clue what those will be shipping with OS wise ?

You are correct, in that there will be no Nexus-Four brand new phone coming with Jellybean tomorrow. Android 4.1 Jellybean is said to be pushed to the unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus almost immediately, and the other Galaxy Nexus phones also expected to get it shortly after, but who knows with Verizon, could be a month before we get it, but it is coming.

But there still is the next generation Nexus phone due out at it's normal release window of Nov/Dec later this year. Question what will that be running at launch ? Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, or will Key Lime Pie be more of a 4.5 update ? But for sure the next 4th generation of Nexus phones is still coming the end of this year, just no clue what those will be shipping with OS wise ?
They are going to piss a lot of people off if they release major SW updates every 6 months...primarily because there's no way for the OEM's to keep up.

They are going to piss a lot of people off if they release major SW updates every 6 months...primarily because there's no way for the OEM's to keep up.

The general public doesn't give a shit. They don't care about iOS or WP7/8 updates either. The general public simply wants a phone that works. The only people that care about updates are people like us and media since they need the clicks.

No. Android 4.1 Jellybean is rumored to be more of an update or patch to fix things, and add a few new features. But it is not a ground up totally radically new OS like 4.0 ICS was, compared to Gingerbread before it. It is more like going from Froyo to GB.

And I read something about since ICS, the OS is now easier to update than before. That a new patch like 4.1 won't be super difficult to install on top of ICS devices. I would not be surprised if the Galaxy S3 and One-X get Jellybean in a couple of months, I doubt they wait 6+ months for it like they did for ICS.

I would think all newer high end phones get the Jellybean update before the Nexus-Four "Key Lime Pie" release this November.

What's this about Key Lime Pie in Nov ?!! That sounds completely implausible. There's no way it comes out 3-4 months after JB.

And I don't really care how hard/easy the upgrade is. If Google made ICS so damn difficult to incorporate, or wrote and only bothered to test the OS on Nexus (which is what I suspect), then its their fault. There is simply no excuse for a 6mo-1 year gap between announcing ICS and being available to consumers. Google should involve their oem partners and give them all the help necessary to port their software. And they only worked with Samsung and didn't give any ICS info to other oem's, who found out about it on launch day like you and me. That is simply wrong.

No. Android 4.1 Jellybean is rumored to be more of an update or patch to fix things, and add a few new features. But it is not a ground up totally radically new OS like 4.0 ICS was, compared to Gingerbread before it. It is more like going from Froyo to GB.

And I read something about since ICS, the OS is now easier to update than before. That a new patch like 4.1 won't be super difficult to install on top of ICS devices. I would not be surprised if the Galaxy S3 and One-X get Jellybean in a couple of months, I doubt they wait 6+ months for it like they did for ICS.

I would think all newer high end phones get the Jellybean update before the Nexus-Four "Key Lime Pie" release this November.
It would be great if Google got it to a point where they can update phones no matter what skin an OEM puts on top of the OS. It looks like Moto is angling that way...not sure about Sense or TouchWiz. Would make updates seamless and much faster.

What's this about Key Lime Pie in Nov ?!! That sounds completely implausible. There's no way it comes out 3-4 months after JB.

And I don't really care how hard/easy the upgrade is. If Google made ICS so damn difficult to incorporate, or wrote and only bothered to test the OS on Nexus (which is what I suspect), then its their fault. There is simply no excuse for a 6mo-1 year gap between announcing ICS and being available to consumers. Google should involve their oem partners and give them all the help necessary to port their software. And they only worked with Samsung and didn't give any ICS info to other oem's, who found out about it on launch day like you and me. That is simply wrong.
That is SUPPOSED to be changing with the next batch of Nexus phones. Basically, each major OEM will get help from Google with kernel development with their specific CPU/platform selection.

Agreed, you'd think Google would be more conservative with the version naming... after all, theres only 26 letters in the alphabet and then their naming scheme is toast! :D

Agreed, you'd think Google would be more conservative with the version naming... after all, theres only 26 letters in the alphabet and then their naming scheme is toast! :D
Chrome is already up to version 19.something. Their versioning is stupid.

I agree with you as far as being more open with their OEMs, but let's be realistic here: An independant rom dev HOBBYIST can take AOSP source and port android within a matter of a few days, if he has the driver/kernel source too. These companies have their drivers available, along with a team of programmers. There's no reason it should take 6 months for them to port Android to work with their phones.

If you'll remember, a small Chinese company had ICS up and running on their phones within 2-3 weeks of ICS source being released. ASUS has ICS within a month or two for their tablets. Right now, the OEMs are slacking, and the carriers in the US are making it worse. Google really needs to change the atmosphere.

I agree with you as far as being more open with their OEMs, but let's be realistic here: An independant rom dev HOBBYIST can take AOSP source and port android within a matter of a few days, if he has the driver/kernel source too. These companies have their drivers available, along with a team of programmers. There's no reason it should take 6 months for them to port Android to work with their phones.

If you'll remember, a small Chinese company had ICS up and running on their phones within 2-3 weeks of ICS source being released. ASUS has ICS within a month or two for their tablets. Right now, the OEMs are slacking, and the carriers in the US are making it worse. Google really needs to change the atmosphere.
Indeed. The fact that a lot of "top-of-the-line" phones won't even have ICS the day that they announce Jellybean is just sad. Its hard to tell whos more to blame, the OEM's or the Carriers. I have a very hard time believing its Google's fault since, like you say there are tons of ICS builds out there for phones still waiting on the official updates made by casual developers.

Lets be real though, OEM's don't have a ton of incentive to update and neither do carriers. People are locked in contracts for two years so those companies don't have to maintain customer loyalty, they have far more of a reason to devote as many resources as possible to selling new devices to new customers. The pace of mobile phone development has accelerated tremendously, with all the OEM's trying to one-up each other.. which one of them really cares about rolling out updates to rapidly aging handsets? And on top of that the carriers have their delusions of grandeur, trying to maintain control to prevent themselves from becoming just another dumb pipe/utility

Indeed. The fact that a lot of "top-of-the-line" phones won't even have ICS the day that they announce Jellybean is just sad. Its hard to tell whos more to blame, the OEM's or the Carriers. I have a very hard time believing its Google's fault since, like you say there are tons of ICS builds out there for phones still waiting on the official updates made by casual developers.

Its not Google's fault at all... they simply create the Android OS and release it on source.android.com when its ready..... thats it, thats the extent of their responsibility.

So yea, its definitely the OEMs and carriers at fault. They want devices to be outdated and constantly replaced.... its just their business model...

edit: another thing: between iOS and Windows 7/8, the carriers cannot really fuck up the handsets.... Android, by virtue of being open, becomes "theirs" to fuck up as they see fit when they put it onto handsets.

Galaxy Nexus, now starting at $350 NEW!!!
Nexus 7
Nexus Q

We already have multiple current Nexii now, and we haven't even gotten this fall's reveal :)
Seems like the rumor panned out

Galaxy Nexus at $350, and Nexus 7 at $200 are game changers...... Come on Google... don't fuck this up.....

I'm really debating returning a Kindle Fire I just got and just getting the Nexus tablet....

Everything looks amazing. Jellybean improvements are pretty significant too.

The phone interface for the Nexus 7 looks a bit weird, but I guess there is not enough screen real estate for the traditional tablet interface.

Well, seems to me that we now know 40% of these multiple devices.
Nexus 7
Nexus Q

Well, seems to me that we now know 40% of these multiple devices.
Nexus 7
Nexus Q

I'd include the Galaxy Nexus in that list.... Google seems to be pushing it in the same way that it is pushing the Nexus 7: as a way to entice the masses with cheap, high quality devices. Google really didn't have to drop the GNex's price, but did it anyway.... I see it as Google positioning this thing as the pre-paid king, and trying really hard to shake up the market with it.

The GNex is also a fully modern Nexus, with a large pool of storage space (for ROM and app data), dual core, and 1GB of RAM....with none of the seemingly arbitrary limitations that the Nexus One or Nexus S had (although the Nexus S continues on, getting 4.1 with the rest of them).

If I had to bet, I'd say that this time next year, we'll still have the Galaxy Nexus in the Play Store, along with the Q, 7, and whatever Nexus phone or phones are released this winter.

Back