Google to Scrub US Military Deal Protested by Employees

and at least 13 employees resigned

now.. if thats true and thats the reason they left. good for them. Willnt change anything, but at least they stood up for what they believe in an actual way.. and not just signing an internet petition..LOL

As a retired "military type" we care very much for innocent civilians. And most "military types" don't want war. It's dangerous, dirty, and what you've seen, heard, done, and not done, stays a part of you forever. And if we are forced to fight we want it to be swift, precisely targeted, decisive, and with as little/no collateral damage as possible.

My statement simply means that if they don't want to "Be in the business of war" they shouldn't profit from the business of war either. I'll start with Google location services using GPS signals FROM MILITARY SATELITES.

edit: and analyzing drone footage would have far-reaching implications at all levels. The tech could be adapted for law enforcement, wildland firefighting, farming, ecological study, traffic flow, etc.

Might as well stop eating food since it could've been produced or transported using stolen oil.

As for your edit: let me remind we're in this thread precisely because they were told to do military work instead of farming, firefighting, etc.

Might as well stop eating food since it could've been produced or transported using stolen oil.

As for your edit: let me remind we're in this thread precisely because they were told to do military work instead of farming, firefighting, etc.

A private company isn't obligated to do anything for the US government.
Accept their decision and move on. How would like it if they asked for tech that went against your purpose of use? You think doing it for the government makes it right?

Let companies that want to do business with the government do the job.

You may notice I also liked WorldExclusive's post also. No company or employee should be forced to work for the Military/U.S. Government. Taking the moral high ground on an issue requires commitment to that moral standard, "put your money where your mouth is." I have respect for anyone that will stand behind their moral convictions, like those 13 individuals that resigned because they didn't want to work on a military project. But holding to a standard goes both ways. As my example of GPS technology, it is a military technology, run on a military system, by military personnel. Choosing to benefit directly from it when you refuse to "be in the business of war" is duplicitous.

You may notice I also liked WorldExclusive's post also. No company or employee should be forced to work for the Military/U.S. Government. Taking the moral high ground on an issue requires commitment to that moral standard, "put your money where your mouth is." I have respect for anyone that will stand behind their moral convictions, like those 13 individuals that resigned because they didn't want to work on a military project. But holding to a standard goes both ways. As my example of GPS technology, it is a military technology, run on a military system, by military personnel. Choosing to benefit directly from it when you refuse to "be in the business of war" is duplicitous.

Ye, but you still have to draw the line somewhere. Something tells me you won't be satisfied until someone finds a way to go back in time to not benefit from any technology that's been brought to light by military funding ever. Where do you draw the line?

Are you saying what we need is more war? You're welcome to move to the near east. I hear Yemen is pretty great during this time of the year. Bombs and all.

Like the military types give a fuck about the innocent civilians. Please.

You obviously haven't a clue about "military types", or you would not make such an asinine statement.

This may come as a shock, but it's much easier to not use precision guided weapons, rules of engagement and assets that short sighted google employees dismiss as barbaric.

If I know I have enemy combatants, like the ones that kill lot of civilians, such as ISIS in a town, it's very easy to call in a B-52 strike and turn that town into a parking lot, killing my target as well as all those civilians.

It's much more difficult to make the choice to find the particular car, or house, or bunker my target is in, and destroy it, and in the vast majority of cases, not even injure a single civilian, that in many cases would be ecstatic if I was the one dying. Sometime that's not possible, but the US military tries very hard not to injure civilians. You want to get all self righteous, spend your vitriol on the people that start the wars, the politicians and the extremists

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Are you saying what we need is more war? You're welcome to move to the near east. I hear Yemen is pretty great during this time of the year. Bombs and all.

Most do care. Unfortunately the government does not care- that includes past and present.

I love how people can change this or anything into a political thread.

I love how people can change this or anything into a political thread.

This entire Google thing is all about politics.

Resigning your position because you don't want to work for a company that does work for "The Man" is inherently a politic statement, regardless if that was the intention or not.

Not sure if you are just too naive to understand or not. A lot of military research ends up benefiting the public sector. Most importantly it benefits those sectors that do not have the money to do the research themselves. So no, telling people to do military work instead of farming, firefighting, etc is not even applicable in this situation.

You obviously haven't a clue about "military types", or you would not make such an asinine statement.

This may come as a shock, but it's much easier to not use precision guided weapons, rules of engagement and assets that short sighted google employees dismiss as barbaric.

If I know I have enemy combatants, like the ones that kill lot of civilians, such as ISIS in a town, it's very easy to call in a B-52 strike and turn that town into a parking lot, killing my target as well as all those civilians.

It's much more difficult to make the choice to find the particular car, or house, or bunker my target is in, and destroy it, and in the vast majority of cases, not even injure a single civilian, that in many cases would be ecstatic if I was the one dying. Sometime that's not possible, but the US military tries very hard not to injure civilians. You want to get all self righteous, spend your vitriol on the people that start the wars, the politicians and the extremists

Yeah, I am not buying the whole altruistic aspect of it.

We're here to steal your shit but hey, we care enough not to carpet bomb you. And we really don't more Manning like leaks where people can see just how much our soldiers care.

Hopefully I don't get banned. But I kind of deserve it. Promised not to share my thoughts on the subject any more. FWIW, pink isn't my favorite color.

We're here to steal your shit but hey, we care enough not to carpet bomb you. And we really don't more Manning like leaks where people can see just how much our soldiers care.

Hopefully I don't get banned. But I kind of deserve it. Promised not to share my thoughts on the subject any more. FWIW, pink isn't my favorite color.

The problem is you are assigning the blame of a few to the whole. By your logic, you are a warmonger and deserve punishment because you are part of a country that engages in warfare. You also obviously don't give a shit about civilians.

why would you get banned? I think you are entitled your opinion. I spent a lot of years as one of those "military types" defending your right to express your opinion.

I might feel like your opinion is grossly misinformed, but, hey, no one is going stone you in this country for it.

You didn't spend all these years defending me nor my right to express my opinion, even more as since I am not an American.

To tell you the truth, working for any of the plethora of fishy Israeli shops around here would make me a lot more but some things are just too dirty.

You didn't spend all these years defending me nor my right to express my opinion, even more as since I am not an American.

To tell you the truth, working for any of the plethora of fishy Israeli shops around here would make me a lot more but some things are just too dirty.

My apologies, I just assumed you were a typical American clueless liberal. But evidently you come across your dislike of Americans in a more traditional way.

I have a feeling you are more insulted that I assumed you were American, than anything else. I Also have a feeling I really would not like you in person, at all.

My apologies, I just assumed you were a typical American clueless liberal. But evidently you come across your dislike of Americans in a more traditional way.

I have a feeling you are more insulted that I assumed you were American, than anything else. I Also have a feeling I really would not like you in person, at all.

Don't dislike Americans at all. That would be stupid. How come your demeanor changed for no reason.

Reactions: Zuul
like this

Please, tell that to my brother in law whom has served FOUR tours in Afghanistan and Iraq as a medic aboard the Blackhawk treating more of their innocent civilians that are victims of the terrorist organizations, than he does our own injured military personnel...

Back