Google to Restore Maps Access for Windows Phone Users

and who even has a windows 8 phone and cares about this? :p

Short sighted attitude ran your ship straight into an iceberg of dumb. This isn't about Win 8 phones, this is about principle. If Google can act this way towards one competitor/OS, they can act this way towards another.

They did this to Microsoft...

Pot, meet kettle.

No...they did this to people using someone else's product. (Emphasis is on "to people.")

Microsoft is not the evil that it once was. Apple and Google are now that..

No one gives a shit about winmo 8. So google has every right to deny a platform since it might lead users to have the wrong impressions of the service.

Also you guys have to realize Software comes with No Warranties and EULA can say what ever it wants.

No one gives a shit about winmo 8. So google has every right to deny a platform since it might lead users to have the wrong impressions of the service.

Also you guys have to realize Software comes with No Warranties and EULA can say what ever it wants.

Thing is though, Google must give a shit.

Wrench00, since you hate Microsoft tools and technologies so much, just stop using them.

alot actually, you are confusing how Windows 8 sucks at the desktop and how snazzy the UI is on a phone. :cool:

And that would be a common phenomenon and why Microsoft has a perception problem now, after hastily slapping horseblinders on desktop PC's with Metro and pissing off all but the most naive/tolerant of users, breeding resentment toward the interface on any platform including touch portable devices where it rightly shines. /derail

Yes, that article agrees with me. You may want to read it yourself.

Packet analyzer and get back to me on that. :)

Yup, doesn't use Google's DNS. Of course, the internet would explode in fury if it did, and there has been such fury. You've made this one up, you're wrong (again).

From multiple sources including location-based data from a GPS leash that you pay to have in your pocket or purse along with YouTube viewing habits, text searching your e-mail, tracking the sites you visit through AdSense, what you look at in their maps program, and (coming soon) the pair of glasses you stick on your head.

The location-based one is only if you've opted into it. The only way to avoid having someone text search your e-mail is to host it yourself or pay for your email (Google will happily take your money in exchange for not scanning your emails, btw). Oh, and you can also opt out of the ad targeting stuff if that creeps you out - you can do this via the privacy dashboard, the "keep my opt out" extension, or via DNT.

You are and using profanity doesn't make you seem very realistic, but angry and on the attack because your perceptions conflict with reality and I happen to be the presenter of them.

You're the one making up stuff about Google which makes it sound like you've bought Microsoft's PR attacks hook, line, and sinker.

Remember that bullshit line from them? "Do no evil".

Nice work Google :rolleyes:

FYI, you made that line up.

Rhetorical questions don't require answers. Though given your missing the obvious point, perhaps you should reexamine your interpretation.

The obvious point is exactly my interpretation. The context is "Google removes redirect", your response is one of disgust with Google. Thus the logical conclusion is that you are disgusted with Google removing the redirect.

Where are all these jobs that companies apparently are paying forum users to be plants for microsoft or google. When did this happen?

So, the extent of your argument is, "You made that up..."

The purpose of a business is to make money. In Google's case, the people that use it are the human cattle it herds to continue existing. Loving it, or any other company to the point where you effectively stick your fingers in your ears and go, "Tra la la! Everything bad is made up! I don't need facts because I already invented my own version of reality in my head!" is totally your choice, but it is one I think is super-dee-duper funny.

Where are all these jobs that companies apparently are paying forum users to be plants for microsoft or google. When did this happen?

See legitimate points being raised regarding your original whiny post

Downplay them by claiming the poster's are corporate forumtards.

They did this to Microsoft...

Pot, meet kettle.

Not shedding any tears over Microsoft being the victim of anti-competitive business practices.

Oh yeah...what did Microsoft do, again?

Oh, that's right...they included a browser with their operation system...sort of like iOS, Android, Blackberry, Chrome, Ubuntu, etc.

Yeah, Microsoft totally deserves to get screwed for being 10 years ahead of everyone else.

And by the way, fuck Google in the ear and fuck all their adherents who still babble about "big corparashunz". Wake up, sheepies.

Exactly how many Microsoft apps you see on the Google Play store? It's just that Google Maps is really that good. But honestly I think that Google was right to do so.

Right now Microsoft has 16 apps on the Google Play store.

Wrench00, since you hate Microsoft tools and technologies so much, just stop using them.

You sir are in a league of your own "thepethialness".

Actually MS always tries to feed me bullshit we don't support it because it runs on vmware when I have to troubleshoot with Technet. Guess what VMWare is the majority and they still don't want to support it. Its always a fight with them. They have gotten better though.

If they don't want to support winmo 8 its their choice.. Ever read an EULA? Google has the right to protect its products from false experiences.

Any way I don't see the big deal any way, This will effect what the whole 10 people that use Winmo 8? You have Bing maps, mapquest, just like Apple has Apple maps.

If they don't want to support winmo 8 its their choice.. Ever read an EULA? Google has the right to protect its products from false experiences.
First of all, there is no "winmo 8" Windows Mobile has been dead and buried since Windows Mobile 6.x.

Windows Phone 7 used a similar CE-family kernel to Windows Mobile, but it was fully incompatible with Windows Mobile software. Even rooted, the kernel is so different that running Windows Mobile apps on Windows Phone 7 requires a rather extensive wrapper to make up for all the missing components that were no-longer needed.

With the release of Windows Phone 8, there's no denying that it's no-longer Windows Mobile. It's using the Windows NT kernel and shares the majority of its code with desktop Windows 8.

Any way I don't see the big deal any way, This will effect what the whole 10 people that use Winmo 8? You have Bing maps, mapquest, just like Apple has Apple maps.
There are obviously a lot more than 10 people using Windows Phone, but yes, most of them are using Nokia Drive (if they own a Lumia handset), or Bing Maps (which also uses Nokia's mapping data). There's also the option of using Navigon or even Google Maps (through a 3rd party app like gmaps pro, which still works even with this block in place).

So yes, there are options for working around this block, but the block makes no sense. it's the principal of the thing.

Google said (they've now backpedaled) that the browsers on WP7 and WP8 did not render the page appropriately and did not support gesturing. That was totally and utterly false, especially considering WP7 uses IE9 (identical rendering to desktop IE9) and WP8 uses IE10 (identical rendering to desktop IE10). Both browsers render maps.google.com just fine on the desktop AND on mobile, there's no way to justify blocking one and not the other.

Anyway, Google has already started to backpedal after the wave of backlash they caused. Looks like trying to deny services to WP8 users (in order to force users who want to use Google services onto other platforms) isn't going to work out for them ;)

First of all, there is no "winmo 8" Windows Mobile has been dead and buried since Windows Mobile 6.x.

Windows Phone 7 used a similar CE-family kernel to Windows Mobile, but it was fully incompatible with Windows Mobile software. Even rooted, the kernel is so different that running Windows Mobile apps on Windows Phone 7 requires a rather extensive wrapper to make up for all the missing components that were no-longer needed.

With the release of Windows Phone 8, there's no denying that it's no-longer Windows Mobile. It's using the Windows NT kernel and shares the majority of its code with desktop Windows 8.

There are obviously a lot more than 10 people using Windows Phone, but yes, most of them are using Nokia Drive (if they own a Lumia handset), or Bing Maps (which also uses Nokia's mapping data). There's also the option of using Navigon or even Google Maps (through a 3rd party app like gmaps pro, which still works even with this block in place).

So yes, there are options for working around this block, but the block makes no sense. it's the principal of the thing.

Google said (they've now backpedaled) that the browsers on WP7 and WP8 did not render the page appropriately and did not support gesturing. That was totally and utterly false, especially considering WP7 uses IE9 (identical rendering to desktop IE9) and WP8 uses IE10 (identical rendering to desktop IE10). Both browsers render maps.google.com just fine on the desktop AND on mobile, there's no way to justify blocking one and not the other.

Anyway, Google has already started to backpedal after the wave of backlash they caused. Looks like trying to deny services to WP8 users (in order to force users who want to use Google services onto other platforms) isn't going to work out for them ;)
I'll call winmo 8 because its easier to distinguish it.

Who cares.. Again read the EULA there is no warranties with anything. Plus yes Google is trying to get people into their Platform so who gives a shit if MS users are upset. MS doesn't give a shit about the people that hate Modern interface, doesn't sell the 7 SKU anymore either.

There are alternatives, again no big deal if you want google maps, buy an android and you will get your MS apps at google play store.

Wah Wah cry me a whambulance.

I'll call winmo 8 because its easier to distinguish it.
I don't see how calling it the wrong name makes it easier to figure out what you're talking about...

Who cares..
Obviously quite a few people, since it caused a wave of backlash large enough for Google to reverse direction within 24 hours.

Again read the EULA there is no warranties with anything.
Google can write whatever they want into their EULA, it doesn't make what they're doing any less anti-competitive.

Suddenly denying a popular service to a device (when it worked just fine previously, and continues to work fine when the block is bypassed) for no other reason than to make said device less palatable and to stifle competition is grounds for an antitrust suit.

who gives a shit if MS users are upset. MS doesn't give a shit about the people that hate Modern interface, doesn't sell the 7 SKU anymore either.
Non sequitur, Microsoft changing the UI of the start menu/screen has no relation to blocking services from use on other products.

There are alternatives, again no big deal if you want google maps, buy an android and you will get your MS apps at google play store.
So googledeveloping service lock-in (akin to Apple's ecosystem) is ok? Yeah, no...

It's worth noting Google is blocking maps on BlackBerry OS's browser as well.

This is not just a Microsoft thing; as far as I can tell, Google are trying to hinder competition by manipulating their popular services, rather than by actually competing. Sounding very Apple-like...

GET THE FUCK OFF OUR GOOGLE!! GO USE YOUR SHITTY BING YOU WINDOWS FAGGOTS

So googledeveloping service lock-in (akin to Apple's ecosystem) is ok? Yeah, no...

They're a corporation out to make money, thus they value their investors more than they do the opinions of those who bought into the WP8 ecosystem. MS hasn't exactly been bending over backwards to give away Office and DirectX compatibility, have they?

And it isn't monopolistic at all. You have alternatives to Google's stuff even within MS. It's not exactly Eric Schmidt's fault that MS and Apple can't make a maps application to save their lives :p

I've said this before but it bears repeating: corporations don't care about you as an individual but rather the money you're willing to part with. At the multi-billion dollar level they're all the same. No one is any better than the other. You're just a consumer. Your name is Dollar Bill Greenback. They offer products and services and you pick and choose which you feel deserves your hard-earned money.

Google - just like MS and any other multi-billion dollar corporation - is out to make money, not friends. The next time you purchase a product you should really think over what you're looking for and who will provide you what you need. Like MS but need Google's apps? Then you'd better think hard about going WP8 or Android. Love iOS but you hate the lock in? You've got some thinking to do.

They're a corporation out to make money, thus they value their investors more than they do the opinions of those who bought into the WP8 ecosystem.
Doesn't matter what their investors think or what the options of those who bought into the WP8 ecosystem are. What they did was still grounds for an antitrust suit.

It's not exactly Eric Schmidt's fault that MS and Apple can't make a maps application to save their lives :p
Microsoft's maps are just fine. Apple's on the other hand...

The next time you purchase a product you should really think over what you're looking for and who will provide you what you need. Like MS but need Google's apps? Then you'd better think hard about going WP8 or Android. Love iOS but you hate the lock in? You've got some thinking to do.
Apps? Don't need any of their apps.

I do need them to follow the law and not artificially restrict access to their web-based services in a ploy to stifle fair competition, though.

The obvious point is exactly my interpretation. The context is "Google removes redirect", your response is one of disgust with Google. Thus the logical conclusion is that you are disgusted with Google removing the redirect.

lol, no. One of these days you get there though.

I don't see how calling it the wrong name makes it easier to figure out what you're talking about...

Obviously quite a few people, since it caused a wave of backlash large enough for Google to reverse direction within 24 hours.

Google can write whatever they want into their EULA, it doesn't make what they're doing any less anti-competitive.

Suddenly denying a popular service to a device (when it worked just fine previously, and continues to work fine when the block is bypassed) for no other reason than to make said device less palatable and to stifle competition is grounds for an antitrust suit.

Non sequitur, Microsoft changing the UI of the start menu/screen has no relation to blocking services from use on other products.

Yeah so its not OK for google to lock people in and it is ok for Microsoft?

Lets See MS Office Lock in.
Windows Platform Lock in.
Now Metro Lock in.
So this is OK?

Winmo 8 is less then 2% of mobile market why the fuck would google waste millions of dollars developing for such a small segment. If they allowed access and it didn't work properly again Winmo 8 users would bitch and complain. In the end its a loose loose situation for Google. The last question is why would google go out of their way to help a competing platform do well.

Is this anti-competitive HELL NO. Google Maps doesn't have a monopoly over maps its not anti-competitive.
MS does have a desktop monopoly no one is screaming about that.

So, the extent of your argument is, "You made that up..."

The purpose of a business is to make money. In Google's case, the people that use it are the human cattle it herds to continue existing. Loving it, or any other company to the point where you effectively stick your fingers in your ears and go, "Tra la la! Everything bad is made up! I don't need facts because I already invented my own version of reality in my head!" is totally your choice, but it is one I think is super-dee-duper funny.

Yes, that is the extent of my argument because it's true - you *did* make it up. Hence why you are completely unable to back your claims up with a source or evidence.

Now you are just resorting to ad hominems, which is pretty sad and not at all super-dee-duper funny.

It's worth noting Google is blocking maps on BlackBerry OS's browser as well.

Does Blackberry's browser support touch events? Hell, do most blackberries even have a touch screen? Google Maps kind of doesn't work without that.

This is not just a Microsoft thing; as far as I can tell, Google are trying to hinder competition by manipulating their popular services, rather than by actually competing. Sounding very Apple-like...

RIM is definitely not Google's competition, nor is Windows Phone. Google's money comes from ads primarily via search - they don't care what platform you use.

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt when I asked you to clarify, you opted not to. It's not my fault what you wrote isn't what you intended to say.

No, I meant. Ah Google, getting worse and worse by the day.

I can't believe the amount of ignorance contained in this thread. When Apple did this to Google these same people were probably in an uproar. Just because a company can do something does not mean they should. Especially when the companies motto is "Do no evil." When companies institute practices like this unwarranted it hurts everyone in the long run.

TLDR: I thought Android users were not devout fanbois, but they are getting bad. Look out Apple there's a new rabid ignorant fanboi community growing.

Back