Google to Radically Change Homepage for First Time since 1996

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Say goodbye to the simplicity of the Google homepage: the company will be taking a page out of their feed on Android by introducing cards that will feature content ranging from sports highlights and top news to engaging videos and new music. The feed will not only be based on your interactions with Google, but also factor in what’s trending in your area and around the world.

The feed of personalized information, which has been a mainstay of Google’s mobile apps for Android and iOS since 2012 along with a home-screen page on Google’s Nexus and Pixel smartphones and tablets, will become part of the main desktop experience in the near future, the Guardian understands. On Wednesday Google announced it was deploying further customization to the feed, which took over from its Google Now personalization in December, using the company’s “advanced machine-learning algorithms."

Say goodbye to the simplicity of the Google homepage: the company will be taking a page out of their feed on Android by introducing cards that will feature content ranging from sports highlights and top news to engaging videos and new music. The feed will not only be based on your interactions with Google, but also factor in what’s trending in your area and around the world.

The feed of personalized information, which has been a mainstay of Google’s mobile apps for Android and iOS since 2012 along with a home-screen page on Google’s Nexus and Pixel smartphones and tablets, will become part of the main desktop experience in the near future, the Guardian understands. On Wednesday Google announced it was deploying further customization to the feed, which took over from its Google Now personalization in December, using the company’s “advanced machine-learning algorithms."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't want overhead.

Bing here I come.

As long as we have the option to easily customize it down to what it looks like now, i could care less what they do.
You mean like the now much more useless customizable Google News page?

Search results as cards and more white space? Less relevant results per page? Still lacking the ability to block specific content? Etc....

New slogan---
GOOGLE! "Making each previous experience seem like a dream compared to the current nightmare we tell you is better!":hungover::(

Search results as cards and more white space? Less relevant results per page? Still lacking the ability to block specific content? Etc....

New slogan---
GOOGLE! "Making each previous experience seem like a dream compared to the current nightmare we tell you is better!":hungover::(

This! The new Google News makes Yahoo seem downright easy to read. Google keeps this up and there will be a market for a simple uncluttered search engine page.

I think I've visited the actual google.com main page like twice in the past month or so, as I typically just fire off search terms into the search bar on Firefox ESR that I use I rarely ever see it. The only time I bother to load it is if the logo on the search results page (upper left hand corner placement) looks interesting as a Google Doodle then I'll go to the main page to see what's up. Sometimes it's cute and interesting, most times (at least for me) it's not but it's just one of those Google things they do that makes the different from others I suppose.

It would be nice if the folks at Google could take several steps back at this point and objectively (as best they can) compare what they were to what they are now and what they're expecting to do in the near and far future and realize they're obviously not the same company anymore but that doesn't mean they have to get so complicated. As Einstein said once (I believe it was Einstein, could be wrong):

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

(after a quick search I turned up this info about that quote: Attributed to Albert Einstein. Possibly paraphrased from remarks in "On the Method of Theoretical Physics", Herbert Spencer Lecture, Oxford (10 June 1933), Philosophy of Science, Vol. 1, No. 2 (April 1934), pp. 163-169, p. 165. - so there)

After the javascript bloat got completely out of control, about 3 years ago, I made a script:

untitled.PNG

Pure basic HTML, no javascript, loads and renders pages in <50ms. So no fucks given on my end :)
It's also supposed to look a lot like it did in 2002.

I may share the method+script with those that ask nicely... :D

Literally the only redeeming quality of google is now going away. Now they can use the homepage to for biased articles and push narratives like everyone else, on one of the most viewed webpages on the planet.

Guessing from how terrible results are simply being in "mobile" vs "desktop", I don't expect this to improve my experience whatsoever. Not to mention (read: I've mentioned countless times), Google constantly hiding all their useful search tools/filters behind multiple clicks. ugh

Huh, people still use that? I typically search Bing via Edge/Cortana; I seldom actually navigate to Bing.com to perform a search. I just assumed habits of Google users had evolved similarly.

Anyway, on the occasion I want to perform a Google search, or a private search in general, I use StartPage. It's simple, customizable, and best of all, private.

hello, duckduckgo
I tried this for a while and sadly, google gave me better results.

Buuuuut, i never went to either site, i just did searches from the adrress bar, so thats that.

Could they just not? I mean seriously, it's been great as it always has been, like, LITERALLY ALL THIS TIME.

I really despise most of the fluff they think people want to see. Sports scores? Fuck no. Trending topics? I couldn't give a shit what other people are interested in. Celebrities? What a waste of time. Music? Nah.

Huh, the older I get the less I seem to like *anything*.. go figure

I really despise most of the fluff they think people want to see. Sports scores? Fuck no. Trending topics? I couldn't give a shit what other people are interested in. Celebrities? What a waste of time. Music? Nah.

Huh, the older I get the less I seem to like *anything*.. go figure
You'd better check to make sure you don't have burgers coming out of your ass.

People use the Google homepage???

I have used www.google.com as my homepage since as long as i remember even in the dial up days because of how fast it loads because there isn't a bunch of extra crap trying to load. this is a dumb move. google and microsoft are both f'ing up bigtime.

New slogan---
Yeah, the news page has been destroyed.

Can't remember the last time I visited the google home page. Probably won't ever now.

Not a fan of the change. Whole reason I use google is because of the non-advertisement crap on it.

Back