Google Tests Of Delivering Burritos By Drone

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wasn't even hungry until I read this story about burritos being delivered by drone. Damn it, why aren't they testing that where I live? Now, if someone can just work on beer drone delivery. ;)

The future of food delivery arrived at Virginia Tech this week, as Google began its much-anticipated – and secretive – experiment to lower Chipotle burritos from drones to a select group of university students. A drone was spotted buzzing overhead just before 1 p.m. Monday. It descended to about 10 feet, hovered over a grass patch and then lowered a large white package to the ground on a string. The drone then flew away, leaving the package and string on the ground.

Virginia?? Then that isn't a burrito!!!

At least you don't have to tip the drone. Or wonder what he did to the food.

Hmm.. a drone leaving a package on the ground and then leaving. Not suspicious at all!

"It's a bomb!"

"No, it's my burrito delivery! But come back in a couple of hours and I'll give you a different kind of bomb."

We have seen the new god come from the sky! It's the flying BURRITO monster! He's bringing us Mexican food! It goes with that new Polish beer, Doseki's, right? (Couldn't resist, the first time I heard a radio commercial I automatically thought it was a Polish product!).

cannabis-drone-delivery-00.jpg~original

I know it's crazy dare I say but here in Chicago we have the best Mexican food in the country. This is my current fav for a steak burrito.
Taqueria El Asadero - North Center - Chicago, IL

I think you'd have some SoCal folks arguing with you over that one. They take great pride in their Mexican food there for some reason.

You can usually get decent stuff in most larger cities if you go to where the immigrant communities are and find where the little hole-in-the-wall just-off-the-boat Tacquerias are.

These days in Boston - for some reason - most of these hole-in-the-wall Tacquerias are El Salvadoran, but they are fantastic none-the-less, and in the same general food family as Mexican, but add some interesting local dishes as well, like Papusas.

We do have a new mini-chain (2-3 locations in the greater Boston area now) named Tenoch which specializes in Mexico City style Tortas, which is pretty fantastic. They actually use real Telera bread and Oaxaca cheese instead of what most places call a Torta (some carnitas with "mexican cheese blend" in a sub roll.) I've been told they are the closest thing to what you might get from a street vendor in Mexico City in at least a thousand mile radius, but I have no way of backing that up. I've never been to Mexico City. Damned delicious though.

I think the biggest problem with Mexican food is that most Americans wouldn't know real Mexican food if it confronted them in a bar and punched them in the face. Too many think that Americanized Tex-mex garbage is the real thing. There is a very popular chain of taco places among the college crowd here named Anna's Tacqueria, which is absolute garbage. Americanized, bland and awful, but they ahve convinced the naive college kids that it is the best most authentic thing ever.

Like with all other categories of food, if it's a chain with more than 2-3 locations, their food probably is neither particularly good nor particularly "authentic".

Last edited:
East Coast Mexican food is just nasty. The burritos I eat would not be able to be delivered by drone(wet).

I know it's crazy dare I say but here in Chicago we have the best Mexican food in the country. This is my current fav for a steak burrito.
Taqueria El Asadero - North Center - Chicago, IL

The best Mexican food always comes from a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that looks like it's all run down and like you couldn't get more then six people in there to eat at one time. In fact, if they were selling anything other than Mexican food the rules wouldn't apply and the food would actually taste like how the building looks.

It's just a law of food physics and it only applies to Mexican.

Damn, I posted and saw that Z was saying the same thing. Well hell, it's worth repeating so I'll leave mine up too.

Like with all other categories of food, if it's a chain with more than 2-3 locations, their food probably is neither particularly good nor particularly "authentic".
? So none of the pizza changes are making "authentic" pizza? Only counts if you do the same exact thing as everyone else but you only have a single restaurant? Or to have authentic you can only put tomatoes, cheese and basil on a pizza?

The SF mission style burrito is basically what Chipotle makes, and IMO is one of the better burrito types out there. I mean I just came back from San Diego and while the California burrito has it's place in tastiness (Steaks, french fries and cheese make a great breakfast :D) most of the other types of burritos were just so lacking, yes the meat was good, yes the pico or guac was good, but I was like "where's all the other stuff?"

Take it for what it is, Chipotle is a decent substitute for a taqueria, much more so than say McDonalds is for a diner burger

? So none of the pizza changes are making "authentic" pizza? Only counts if you do the same exact thing as everyone else but you only have a single restaurant? Or to have authentic you can only put tomatoes, cheese and basil on a pizza?

The SF mission style burrito is basically what Chipotle makes, and IMO is one of the better burrito types out there. I mean I just came back from San Diego and while the California burrito has it's place in tastiness (Steaks, french fries and cheese make a great breakfast :D) most of the other types of burritos were just so lacking, yes the meat was good, yes the pico or guac was good, but I was like "where's all the other stuff?"

Take it for what it is, Chipotle is a decent substitute for a taqueria, much more so than say McDonalds is for a diner burger

Ever been to Italy for real pizza? Or New York and Chicago maybe?

I told this Italian guy that Pizza gives me heartburn, he said it's cause American Pizza places don't use good dough. He said good Pizza won't give you heartburn.

Besides, go to Mexico and order a Burrito, no such thing exists south of the border Mano. The Burrito is a Tex-Mex style invention from Cali.

13 Dishes That Aren't Actually Mexican

But that's OK, I like Tex-Mex better than authentic anyway.

Saying Chiplotle is a substitute makes your opinion null and void.

We have 5,000 taquerias and taco huts and what not. San Antonio is heaven for Tex-Mex. Period. End of discussion. Best food on the planet.

Authenticity is extremely overrated. I'll take delicious over authentic any day. Quite often authentic dishes are made the way they are because of the inability to source better ingredients in the situation they were created. Authentic dishes can be interesting to try, but 99% of the time I don't care even slightly how authentic food is. Tex-mex is great, pass the burritos.

I think you'd have some SoCal folks arguing with you over that one. They take great pride in their Mexican food there for some reason.

You can usually get decent stuff in most larger cities if you go to where the immigrant communities are and find where the little hole-in-the-wall just-off-the-boat Tacquerias are.

These days in Boston - for some reason - most of these hole-in-the-wall Tacquerias are El Salvadoran, but they are fantastic none-the-less, and in the same general food family as Mexican, but add some interesting local dishes as well, like Papusas.

We do have a new mini-chain (2-3 locations in the greater Boston area now) named Tenoch which specializes in Mexico City style Tortas, which is pretty fantastic. They actually use real Telera bread and Oaxaca cheese instead of what most places call a Torta (some carnitas with "mexican cheese blend" in a sub roll.) I've been told they are the closest thing to what you might get from a street vendor in Mexico City in at least a thousand mile radius, but I have no way of backing that up. I've never been to Mexico City. Damned delicious though.

I think the biggest problem with Mexican food is that most Americans wouldn't know real Mexican food if it confronted them in a bar and punched them in the face. Too many think that Americanized Tex-mex garbage is the real thing. There is a very popular chain of taco places among the college crowd here named Anna's Tacqueria, which is absolute garbage. Americanized, bland and awful, but they ahve convinced the naive college kids that it is the best most authentic thing ever.

Are you telling me the Chalupa isn't authentic mexican food! :eek:

My illusions are shattered!

Back