Google Takes Its First Steps toward Killing the URL

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Speaking at the Bay Area Enigma security conference this week, Chrome’s usable security lead attempted to address the controversy over Google’s desire to “kill off URLs as we know them.” (Alternate source for paywall.) According to Ms. Stark, they’re a liability, in that hackers can easily trick users about the identity of a page (e.g., G00gle rather than Google), scamming them with malicious links that forward them to phishing sites. "People should know easily what site they’re on, and they shouldn’t be confused into thinking they’re on another site. It shouldn’t take advanced knowledge of how the internet works to figure that out."

The Chrome team's efforts so far focus on figuring out how to detect URLs that seem to deviate in some way from standard practice. The foundation for this is an open source tool called TrickURI, launching in step with Stark's conference talk, that helps developers check that their software is displaying URLs accurately and consistently. The goal is to give developers something to test against so they know how URLs are going to look to users in different situations. Separate from TrickURI, Stark and her colleagues are also working to create warnings for Chrome users when a URL seems potentially phishy.

I'm sure they want all web developers to use AMP as well.

Not only that - I run a Search campaign on Google Ads now for a client and they keep "suggesting" to use AMP for the "Landing Pages" to get a better score.....BS!!! Use AMP and your design is ruined...

Google is a REGIME! They are the Communists of web design trying to make everything look the same and pass through their "funels"....

"People should know easily what site they’re on, and they shouldn’t be confused into thinking they’re on another site. It shouldn’t take advanced knowledge of how the internet works to figure that out."

ya I think that's why DNS and URL was invented...

If they pull this off they'll just become the leader of internet change

Not only that - I run a Search campaign on Google Ads now for a client and they keep "suggesting" to use AMP for the "Landing Pages" to get a better score.....BS!!! Use AMP and your design is ruined...

Google is a REGIME! They are the Communists of web design trying to make everything look the same and pass through their "funels"....
1984 here we come. ++good comrade.

Want to improve web security? Get rid of URL redirects. Oh wait. This kills Google's business model. Guess we are stuck with several hundred character garbage URLs that may or may not point to an obscured site.

Citizen, only visit these pre-approved websites, curated by (CIA) Alphabet. You have selected "Ow my balls!". Enjoy. But first a word from your citizen friendly sponsor MegaCorp. "Buy MegaCorp Juice today. It has electrolytes. It's what plans crave! MegaCorp Juice. WITH ELECTROLYTES! It's what plants crave."
balls.jpg

Citizen, only visit these pre-approved websites, curated by (CIA) Alphabet. You have selected "Ow my balls!". Enjoy. But first a word from your citizen friendly sponsor MegaCorp. "Buy MegaCorp Juice today. It has electrolytes. It's what plans crave! MegaCorp Juice. WITH ELECTROLYTES! It's what plants crave."
View attachment 139290

lol, So....... anyone remember what the aol web portal was and what they presented to their customers as what the internet was supposed to be according to them? This!

Isn't this effectively the same as removing street signs to confuse thieves?

It would hurt legitimate businesses more. Except of course friends of google. Since they'd put up billboards and signs to point you in the "right" direction.

Back