Google Sued Over Tax Exemptions

HardOCP News

[H] News
A libertarian advocacy group, upset over large tax breaks given to Google by the state of North Carolina, has filed a lawsuit against the search giant.

First, there was the charge that the search giant tried to silence North Carolina politicians as the parties negotiated the deal. Under the agreement, Google will invest around $600 million and employ more than 200 people in a data center in Lenoir in exchange for tax breaks worth at least $89 million over 30 years.

do those retards even have a chance?
but thats one crazy tax break..i could use one like that, you know like get back 88.xx million :p

Not saying that I necessarily agree with the tax break, but if you look at it from the point of view of the politicians. Taxes are simply revenue that they get from someone (person or business) and if Google didn't develope in NC then they wouldn't get anything. However since Google is developing infrastructure there, they will now get the taxes from the jobs that are created and the politicians get to say that we helped bring xx number of jobs to our state. So basically for them it in turn leads to an overall win.

So Google is going to spend $600 million to save roughly $3 million dollars in taxes every year for 30 years...(Yea that is something to sue over.)

If Google was getting $600 million in tax breaks while only investing $89 million they might have a point...

I was under the impression that plants/companies already do that sort of thing.

Around my area, plants are leaving because their tax break exemptions are gone. So it's a normal thing.

Those 200 workers are going to be paying their taxes for working there... also, people visiting the plant will need hotel accomodations, they will need food, they will need transportation. The workers there will need homes, cars, food, etc.

Google has to pay for the building, the hundreds of workers who builds that building, they will need servers and equipment for their datacenter, most likley paying tax on that, the equipment will come via logistics which are paid to the state.

The state can also put google on their portfolio and use that as a economical launching platform.

This is why tax breaks to these companies are a good thing... because if you don't give them a break, they go to another state, now not only have you lost the opportunity to make multilevel tax harvestings, but you also lost a very lucrative deal and dented your economy.

I was under the impression that plants/companies already do that sort of thing.

Around my area, plants are leaving because their tax break exemptions are gone. So it's a normal thing.

Agreed, happens nearly everyday. Look at every single one of these foreign auto plants in the southeast - they all went to the spots where the local government ponied up the most tax breaks.

As much as I think Google is Skynet, there's nothing out of the ordinary here.

So Google is going to spend $600 million to save roughly $3 million dollars in taxes every year for 30 years...(Yea that is something to sue over.)

If Google was getting $600 million in tax breaks while only investing $89 million they might have a point...

That was my first thought as well.

I agree that in some cases, tax breaks are given inappropriately and/or the conditions of said tax break are not met and there are no repercussions. This would appear to NOT be one of those cases.

I read somewhere here that for every 1 person working in a factory, 7 jobs are affected as a result of that single person.

So technically, this should be the same in this google case, so for these 200 employees, they will be affecting 1400 jobs total... basically a little mini economy.

Anyways, not sure how good my numbers are, i heard it a while go over the radio (our state is desperate for companies, lol)

Back