Google Street View Car Photographs Evil Twin

The odds of one of them screwing up, or the odds of them coordinating a rendezvous? :D

Looks like their hands aren't even on the steering wheel. Send em a ticket!

How many cars does Google have out there doing the street view thing?

How many miles do they drive a year each (collectively)?

How much fuel do they use?

Does anyone really care about street view?

It's a novelty, nothing more. It's not important for finding a location. I never use it, and I cant' see the use of it.

I think that people who want their places to be seen on Google should submit a picture of their house/storefront/whatever, and let Google post that at the address. That way, if you Google my place of work, you get a map, and just like Google Earth, you get a pop up of a picture with what the place looks like. Simple. Easy Breezy.

This street view crap is for the birds...and it's got a carbon footprint the size of Mars...

It's a novelty, nothing more. It's not important for finding a location. I never use it, and I cant' see the use of it.

I think that people who want their places to be seen on Google should submit a picture of their house/storefront/whatever, and let Google post that at the address. That way, if you Google my place of work, you get a map, and just like Google Earth, you get a pop up of a picture with what the place looks like. Simple. Easy Breezy.

This street view crap is for the birds...and it's got a carbon footprint the size of Mars...

I've used it several times to locate a new place I was going to, and to see the landmarks around it so I wouldn't miss my destination.

I've used it several times. And you need to relax. Life's way too short to get this worked up over a feature offered on a website. Seriously.

*sigh* put down the pipe.

Ok, so maybe my reaction is a bit over the top, but couldn't they at least have used a Hybrid car (here in NA)? Instead they choose a Chevy Cobalt????

at least they are buying american? i guess???

also american hybrids are about power not fuel consumption (mmm amerika) so they would have been wasting a bunch of $$$ for no carbon net gain... also hybrids are pretty nasty as far as the enviornment... all those batteries etc

Ok, so maybe my reaction is a bit over the top, but couldn't they at least have used a Hybrid car (here in NA)? Instead they choose a Chevy Cobalt????

I would have prefered if they used a f350 Dually and pulled a 4 ton tralier behind it while they did it.

It's awesome if you're house shopping, you can check out the neighborhood and do a virtual drive by of the house. All from work!

As for the Google on Google contact. That other car doesn't have a camera, so I'm assume they're "off" shift. Heading home?

Maybe the cars and drivers are contracted out.

Google sends you the camera stuff, you put it on your car, then drive a certain route while it records, then you upload the images/video to google at the end of the day or end of the week.

+1
A huge waste of resources. If somebody can't find where they are going by street signs, then they should stay home or call a taxi. :p

You green people crack me up. Don't tell me you guys don't drive anywhere in a car (or someone else's car). The hybrid argument has been beatened to death. There's no real benefit to it.

All Google had to do was to hire someone in an area to keep a camera on their car so that when they drive around to go somewhere, they can record their surroundings. It's probably a while-you're-at-it sort of thing, knowing Google and their concern for the environment.

Hell, it could just be the local pizza delivery guy.

Yeah this Google Street view thing is a retarded idea, it'll never catch on and nobody uses it :eek:

For the dumb, I'm being sarcastic.

Me and my girlfriend needed it to check out the house/neighborhood that we were going to live in when moving half a country away, from Chicago to Austin, Tx. We wanted to see what the houses actually looked like, etc. You can't tell that from a top-down view. Using Google I "drove" to the gym to see what kind of drive it would be.

Last night I showed my roommate what it looked like to walk around downtown Chicago and I showed him the view from my apartment on State Street. Pretty cool to a Texas boy who grew up in Austin.

I'm thankful that mankind has created the wonderful ability to offer such an amazing service to anyone in the world FOR FREE, and I think it's sad that people like you are so hateful of life that you would bemoan the fact that it exists.

Perhaps it's time for some introspection?

I've seen the Google cars in major metro areas, so I guess the odds are pretty good - classic traveling salesmen problem: you want to minimize backtracking and path crossing, but in some cases you can't completely avoid it.

Me and my girlfriend needed it to check out the house/neighborhood that we were going to live in [...]. Pretty cool to a Texas boy who grew up in Austin.
Hell yeah it is - and also fairly useful if you have to navigate a high traffic area where you may not have time to pick out signs from visual clutter, get in the appropriate lane, etc. I travel a lot for work, so it has been a lifesaver on a few occasions.

I'm thankful that mankind has created the wonderful ability to offer such an amazing service to anyone in the world FOR FREE, and I think it's sad that people like you are so hateful of life that you would bemoan the fact that it exists.

Perhaps it's time for some introspection?
+1
I thought hippies were supposed to be about peace, love, and understanding - what's with all the jealousy and hate?

Your first post made my jaw hit the glass desk... this post made my jaw shatter the desk............

You environment hippies really make it hilarious. Damn, I miss my Hummer even more now.

I would have prefered if they used a f350 Dually and pulled a 4 ton tralier behind it while they did it.

They could pull an entire house behind that thing.

You green people crack me up. Don't tell me you guys don't drive anywhere in a car (or someone else's car). The hybrid argument has been beatened to death. There's no real benefit to it.

All Google had to do was to hire someone in an area to keep a camera on their car so that when they drive around to go somewhere, they can record their surroundings. It's probably a while-you're-at-it sort of thing, knowing Google and their concern for the environment.

Hell, it could just be the local pizza delivery guy.

Yep, they use various cars. I think it's more or less of a volunteer/student job offering.. you provide the ride, they strap your ride.

I use street view all the time for business purposes actually.

I'm an attorney, and I look at pictures of intersections/roads where accidents happen instead of having to drive out there. So, that one google drive by saved the environment from me having to drive all over looking.

I thought hippies were supposed to be about peace, love, and understanding - what's with all the jealousy and hate?

Real hippies don't use the internet period. They are more than likely a Google Hater just because the bandwagon was driving by and had nothing better to do. ;)

We use it at work to see if a tractor trailer can fit into some places.
It's actually a good idea and I'm sure there are a lot more uses for it.

I use street view all the time for business purposes actually.

I'm an attorney, and I look at pictures of intersections/roads where accidents happen instead of having to drive out there. So, that one google drive by saved the environment from me having to drive all over looking.

How does that help you unless google was there at the time of the accident. That doesnt' give you pictures of damage done. It doesnt' give you anything from the actual accident.

I saw this trick yesterday! That's another car that is moving in synchrony with the one holding the camera!

How does that help you unless google was there at the time of the accident. That doesnt' give you pictures of damage done. It doesnt' give you anything from the actual accident.

Could you defend somones actions at an intersection without knowing what the intersection looks like? "He pulled out of the Burger King parking lot and T-Boned me as i pulled into the turning lane!". That means a lot more when you are looking at the scene.

It gives you information about the road (number of lanes, shoulder, etc.), what an intersection looks like, where the traffic control devices are, where crosswalks are, vision obscuring signs/ buildings, etc. It's not a replacement for going to look at it, but it is an easy way to put yourself in the driver's shoes and get some basic info

Obviously, if google was there photographing the accident as it occurred, that would be better. :rolleyes: But, 99% of the time, you won't get to see the vehicles at the scene anyway, and property damage isn't really an issue at all (some mechanic will look at it and say it is/isn't totalled, and say how much it will cost).

You don't have to see the accident itself to see things on the site that could be contributing factors. Just one example off the top of my head might be a sign or bush that's a visual obstruction when looking from a particular direction.

Anyway, there's all sorts of things you might notice that could be useful.

I love google street view.

That said, I've seen some of their cars and they DEFINITELY did not look like that one.

I honestly suspect that car isn't really a google car.... probably belongs to some sort of peeping tom who figures he can get away with it :p

I honestly suspect that car isn't really a google car.... probably belongs to some sort of peeping tom who figures he can get away with it :p

That is actually a good idea. The site could be called Spoogle.

The white google car's pics are for publicly available pictures. The ones the black car takes are for more nefarious uses. ;)

Perhaps another site should be started up where somebody goes around taking hi-res pictures of people's belongings through open windows and garage doors. The site could keep track of their stuff and pawn shop values. After all, it was viewable from the street, right? No privacy issues. Can't think of a name for a site though...

Back