Google Says Your Docs Will Soon Be Search Results

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that didn’t see this announcement on Friday, Google has decided to change its policy and allow published Google docs to be crawled and indexed. According to the announcement, this only applies to docs which you explicitly publish using the 'Publish as web page' or 'Publish/embed' option. You have two weeks before the change goes into effect.

The change will allow published docs that are linked to from a public website to be crawled and indexed, which means they can appear in search results you see on Google.com and other search engines. Please note that this only applies to docs which you explicitly publish using the 'Publish as web page' or 'Publish/embed' option, and which are linked to from a publicly crawled webpage.

Just think of the people that may hit the button not knowing what it does. I can see a problem with private data being seen by bad people. This is a problem waiting to happen.

Just think of the people that may hit the button not knowing what it does. I can see a problem with private data being seen by bad people. This is a problem waiting to happen.

If people are
1) dumb enough to store thier personal info on the internet (that they dont want the internet to see)
and
2) dumb enough to click the "make my personal stuff public" button

Then they deserve it. Life is not idiot proof.

*Soooo true.

@ my work.

Hi, ohh, youre harddrive is kapooff..
ohh, can you get my data out?
Did you save it on H: drive?
No.
Sorry, isnt worth it.

Thats something we actually teach them before they can start working here, so i just say sorrryy! :p

The evil empire of "Jumping to conclusions without reading even the article blurb?"

You mean the forum post that's more of a changelog comment?

It's not just about privacy (although that got thrown out the window when people agreed to use the service.) It's the fact that there is a whole bunch of user generated content that google has exclusive rights to and will be exploiting it for 100% profit.

People need to understand, Google is a business, they are not this philantropic entity. They are not a search company, they are an advertising and marketing company that's willing to exploit it's users wholesale.

It doesn't look like this is that big of deal. All it is saying is that if you put a google docs article on a PUBLIC website that is already being crawled by the google bot, it will now look at the google docs too. So as long as it is only published on an internal corporate website or other domain that the google bot is restricted from, it will not be crawled.

You mean the forum post that's more of a changelog comment?

It's not just about privacy (although that got thrown out the window when people agreed to use the service.) It's the fact that there is a whole bunch of user generated content that google has exclusive rights to and will be exploiting it for 100% profit.

People need to understand, Google is a business, they are not this philantropic entity. They are not a search company, they are an advertising and marketing company that's willing to exploit it's users wholesale.

So dont put your personal shit on the internet?

If people are
1) dumb enough to store thier personal info on the internet (that they dont want the internet to see)
and
2) dumb enough to click the "make my personal stuff public" button

Then they deserve it. Life is not idiot proof.

Facebook...look how many idiots post shit there.

So yes I do have a problem with Google doing this as a majority of the population have zero idea what they're doing.

So dont put your personal shit on the internet?

*I* personally don't use google docs, but I bet there are tons of companies that do. This isn't about privacy, it's about money, cpm, eyeballs, page impressions, advertising dollars. and whatever other SEM buzzwords there are.

I understand in this case you must tell them it is ok. But in general terms, lack of control is the fundamental problem with the "magic cloud".

*I* personally don't use google docs, but I bet there are tons of companies that do. This isn't about privacy, it's about money, cpm, eyeballs, page impressions, advertising dollars. and whatever other SEM buzzwords there are.
If companies are posting confidential or trade secrets in Google Docs to PUBLIC websites, that is the problem, not when the Google bot starts to crawl these documents... :rolleyes:

*I* personally don't use google docs

And that right there is the problem. Go login and see the process.

You have a document. You have to click the giant SHARE button, then go past all the basic options (email as an attachment, etc) to get to Publish.

THEN it gives a warning that "You can publish your document to the Internet, where anyone will be able to access and view it online."

At which point you must confirm that you want to publish.

So it's virtually impossible to "accidentally" publish something for public viewing. If it was just a simple checkbox or innocuous setting then yes, it would be a privacy worry. But this requires a very specific end-user intent to actually occur.

I wouldn't mind sharing certain papers i have written over the years, etc. But i wouldn't want to share personal stuff or pictures. I'm perfectly fine with getting my essays out there... im sure someone would benefit.

As I said before...
This isn't about privacy, it's about money, cpm, eyeballs, page impressions, advertising dollars. and whatever other SEM buzzwords there are.

Do you guys seriously think that Google will llet other search engines crawl these pages?

As I said before...

Do you guys seriously think that Google will llet other search engines crawl these pages?

How exactly do you think Google can afford to provide these services? (including Google docs as well as the search engine)

I encourage everyone I know not to put on FB, MS or anywhere else anything they want private. !10% listen

Facebook...look how many idiots post shit there.

So yes I do have a problem with Google doing this as a majority of the population have zero idea what they're doing.

If you post something publicly that you don't want other people to see, you're an idiot.

Why is it Google's job to protect idiots?

The evil empire of "Jumping to conclusions without reading even the article blurb?"

You put your info online = anyone can see it, they just have to find a way.

Only safe place is (not really) your mind.

But still, it is 2 weeks notice, feel happy.

Back