Google Sales Poised to Overtake Microsoft in Changing of the Guard

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
The Financial Times is reporting that Google's revenues are on track to exceed $100bn this year, and that this will likely be sufficient for the company to surpass Microsoft's revenues for the year. They cite an upswing in ad revenue as a large part of the cause, also pointing out that the biggest area in which the two compete are in their cloud services. I'm not sure what all this "changing of the guard" stuff is all about though.

As always, we'd love your take on this in our forums!

At Alphabet, the cloud is on a “terrific upswing”, according to chief executive Sundar Pichai, who said the company had accelerated its product rollout and formed alliances with companies from Intel to workplace chat app Slack.

I'll be standing by for Google's next OS...

Their next OS is a hybrid of their existing OSes...Chromebooks running Android apps. I think that combination is going to be a HUGE disruptor for MS! Most home users don't need Windows, and many will be more than happy to say goodbye to it forever as long as they have access to the apps they use!

Their next OS is a hybrid of their existing OSes...Chromebooks running Android apps. I think that combination is going to be a HUGE disruptor for MS! Most home users don't need Windows, and many will be more than happy to say goodbye to it forever as long as they have access to the apps they use!

All google needs to do is release a proper desktop linux or bsd that can play steam games as fast or faster than windows and they are done.

And since so many MS fanatics are ok with W10 data mining, they wouldn't have a problem with a google OS data mining them.

All google needs to do is release a proper desktop linux or bsd that can play steam games as fast or faster than windows and they are done.

And since so many MS fanatics are ok with W10 data mining, they wouldn't have a problem with a google OS data mining them.

Well backwards compatibility will matter for businesses, but yeah for home users they've shown that backwards compatibility isn't that important. Personally I don't think I'd switch from windows unless google's OS was appreciably faster or better in some meaningful way.

Well backwards compatibility will matter for businesses, but yeah for home users they've shown that backwards compatibility isn't that important. Personally I don't think I'd switch from windows unless google's OS was appreciably faster or better in some meaningful way.
Corporations are moving their programs to the cloud/web, so they can also ignore windows.

Given that MS can do binary translation from x86 to ARM, maybe google can do something similar to this, W32/86 to GoogleOS/86.

Google does well in mobile, and connected services, so profit.

Microsoft used to do well is desktops, never did well in mobile, and now isn't the greatest in desktops any more. Less profit. :D

I mean, technology giant vs technology giant, sure that's cool. But they dabble in vastly different arenas.

I remember when companies made their money on products they sold. Now they make money on giving stuff away for free and selling the "customers".

Well MS isn't selling their business customers necessarily. We are moving to 365 in the cloud and the contracts specify that data mining is a no-no, and MS had no issues signing them. When you look at it for MS, unless you are a non profit higher ed entity, which they can use for tax deductions on the cloud business, the minimum bill is about $6 a month. Buying a single CAL would cost ~$80 retail, but site licensing the suckers in bulk, they were moving WAY, WAY south of $72 a year, which is what the cloud nets them. You want to add office, and that moves up to collecting $180 a year. Given that office only generated new license income every 3 years form businesses at best, they aren't exactly in a deep hole yet.

Given that they can max out the server to client ratio, eating it on the server licensing isn't probably losing them that much money that has to be recovered by licensing.

Also, if you want to manage an organization of any substantial size, it really incetivizes infecting your organization with active directory.

If it weren't a shambling pile of mismatched implementations of nearly identical tasks across the various bundled products, I'd recommend it for everyone.

It also is plagued by the fact that every place you want orthogonality they have shit all over the concept. Places you DON'T want it like the fact that the CEO or other blessed person should be able to have access to post some things organization wide or publicly should also not be automatically extended to the janitor's account as well and that in general, it should be an opt-in thing off by default.

But it does look like a potentially viable business model at some price point relatively near where they currently sell it to you, and their cloud services are hemorrhaging the least cash of them all.

have you used ChromeOS?

Using ChromeOS is definitely a huge disrupter.

Well, the prediction may not turn out to come true after all.

It was based on pre-earnings estimates, but Google underperformed today, while Microsoft did better than expected.

I mean, technology giant vs technology giant, sure that's cool. But they dabble in vastly different arenas.

Not so much.

MS is an OS/Application company that is moving into the spy on you to sell data to everyone for profit realm and also has a cloud product and sells interesting bits of hardware.

Google is a data mining spy on you to sell data to everyone for profit company that is moving into the OS/Application realm and also has a cloud product and sells interesting bits of hardware.

In a few years, they will be interchangeable companies.

If Google sells ISO's for installing in whatever you want for cheap, with strong gaming support.. Ruh-Ruh
Google does have the power to match MS offerings in every front (office, whatever).. they just have to want to.
Its funny I didn't used to use Chrome browser, even had problems with it in the past (a long while ago).. slowly but surely, it became the best browser I can use, as I would find myself firing it up more and more.. now its pretty much all I use.
Computers are very much in flux, with Amazon also now taking a lot of my families computing-share of the day.. again slowly but surely.
The minute my own current 10-inch Android tablet dies, I am getting another fire tablet without a second thought.
MS will be there and will be huge forever,,, but they are in a very real position of being less of a dominant force in shaping the future of computing.
Alphabet, and Amazon in my humble option are better positioned to keep influencing/shaping computing in future than Apple and MS... doesn't mean I think they are going anywhere though.

Google does well in mobile, and connected services, so profit.

Microsoft used to do well is desktops, never did well in mobile, and now isn't the greatest in desktops any more. Less profit. :D

that's not true about mobile.. they had upwards of 26% of the market Windows CE was a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and so were the early versions of windows Mobile 5 and 6success, but like many other things they pissed on it and killed it.

have you used ChromeOS?

Using ChromeOS is definitely a huge disrupter.

Using it now on my Chromebook Plus. It's FANTASTIC. Zero maintenance, 100% reliable, quick bootup, long battery life, and does everything I need a home PC to do...

Meh. I game on my PS4. Having steam on a chromebook or desktop PC isn't important to me...nor to most people. PC games are great...but I will have a dedicated gaming rig at some point if I feel the need. Right now, I am perfectly happy gaming on a console and using my PC for web surfing, movie streaming, book reading, email etc.

Back