Google’s Biggest End User Problem Yesterday? Pac-Man

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although most of you liked the playable Pac-Man logo on Google’s home page yesterday…it seems a lot of people didn’t. The complaints are hilarious:

Have you guys been hacked ?!?!?!? I can not believe Google WANTS a blaring siren screaming on everyone's PC's, on in some people's ears that wear a headset (ie.// me). You're DRIVING people AWAY from your site today.

Would have been funny too if it was an April Fools joke. Some people just have no sense of humor :rolleyes:

I didn't have any problem with it, I even beat it twice. Really the only problem was it did kinda start without input, at least thats what it seemed like.

LMAO this guy is hilarious

"WHAT IS WITH THE ANNOYING PACMAN AUDIO PLAYING ON YOUR SEARCH PAGE TODAY? Some people WORK for a living and can't have that kind of bullshit NOISE going off. TURN IT OFF ... and don't say MUTE my PC, I need the sound ON to hear other PING type alerts. I will switch to BING if you don't fix this. WTF ?!??! "

when it should read

"WHAT IS WITH THE ANNOYING PACMAN AUDIO PLAYING ON YOUR SEARCH PAGE TODAY? Some people FUCK OFF AT WORK for a living and can't have that kind of bullshit NOISE ALERTING MY BOSS BY going off. TURN IT OFF ... and don't say MUTE my PC, I need the sound ON to hear other PING type alerts AND TO HEAR MY MUSIC . I will switch to BING if you don't fix this. WTF ?!??!

Blaring siren? Well, truth be told, that is tacky. It's also why I have sound from webpages disabled all the time...

I personally thought it was pretty slick myself. Especially since they put forth all the work to do that programming for just one day of use.

But yea, I'd agree with the quoted comment, sounds are a PITA. But IIRC, you had to click on the button to opt-in to play it, before any sound started... so the guy is also an idiot.

But IIRC, you had to click on the button to opt-in to play it, before any sound started... so the guy is also an idiot.

It's still there so I just went to google.com, and it shows a static picture before you click on it. You click on it and it then loads in the game, so yes, he did click on it then complain about it.

I thought the Pac Man thing was awesome. This makes it hilarious. Way to go google!!!

On one hand, I absolutely hate the fact that a previously quite webpage was suddenly very loud. On the other, it was was the best logo ever.

There's no doubt, it should have been muted by default with an unmute button. Google is an everyday tool at work, even if only for deciphering poorly written IBM error messages.

lol, he clicked then complained, that's epic. I would personally shake he's hand for that :D , if he's an america, he should do the next big thing, sue :p

I thought it was hilarious walking the halls of my workplace hearing the pac-man music around every wing.

For me in Firefox it won't start the music until I press a directional arrow.
I waited and waited. However, I didn't have to click anything, just press a directional arrow.

For me i had to click on the image, it wouldn't do anything otherwise and i could not see google setting it to just auto start playing..

I thought the game only started if you clicked on Insert Coin.

Some versions of firefox it started automatically, and some plugins like cool preview would keep restarting it. You can check gizmodo for a link to the firefox support thread on people complaining about the music, most of them thinking it was a worm.

So, from reading some comments people still liked to bitch

1. Game didn't start with out user input
2. there was a mute button to turn off the sound

So, these people are bitching about their own stupidity....

just tried it now and the game auto starts around the 10s mark with audio off in ff.

noticed it yesterday and had no issues with the audio... I'm guessing these "professionals" who complained likely need assistance turning on their computers anyways. And the references to the addons was hysterical.. if you can't manage the "cool stuff" you add to your computer or browser then you don't have the right to bitch and hold a bright light to your own stupidity.

So, from reading some comments people still liked to bitch

1. Game didn't start with out user input
2. there was a mute button to turn off the sound

So, these people are bitching about their own stupidity....

If you had read the fucking thread you would have known that in many browsers it started automatically, and did so with the music enabled.

People need to lighten up. My friend was in the middle of a support call when he found this.His started automatically, and he just ran with it. He actually told the Caller "Hold on, I'm playing pacman" So funny. (The support call was a fellow IT worker, so it wasn't critical) But the jeers the rest of the day were awesome.

People need to lighten up. My friend was in the middle of a support call when he found this.His started automatically, and he just ran with it. He actually told the Caller "Hold on, I'm playing pacman" So funny. (The support call was a fellow IT worker, so it wasn't critical) But the jeers the rest of the day were awesome.

Makes me wonder if someone did get in trouble about it somewhere however.

I recall a few years ago having to do helpdesk calls one weekend while a faulty device warning was going on in the background. The warning noise sounds like the coin noise in Super Mario Bros (lord knows why) Anyhow one caller complained that I was playing games while on the phone because she felt it was unprofessional, yet her issue was resolved and I was questioned about it until I figured out what she actually heard.

I wonder if Google will keep it up somewhere? I heard it has all 255 levels, I only got to 3 levels so far...

Have you guys been hacked ?!?!?!?
and
STOP THIS ANNOYING MUSIC YOU MORONS!!! Unbelievable. They can do whatever they want and there is nothing you can do about it. They are becoming THE government!
made me feel pretty good today.

I hate the internet. Too many idiot old ladies and 12 year olds ruining it.

I hate fucktards. I played Pac-Man for at least an hour this morning... AT WORK!!!!!!!!!

Opera FTW!

not a single problem...the game will start after 10 seconds, but there is no noise unless you actually attempt to play the game. Which i recommend...it's classic fo sho! way to go google!

Back