Google Rolls Out New GBike

This bile comes equipped with a license agreement, a GPS and a camera for tracking where you are and what you're doing!

google engineers need to stick to software engineering, leave bicycle aesthetics and design to the pros.

The main thing about what we would call "women's" bikes is the lower saddlebars... they are also MUCH easier for those with disabilities to mount and dismount. Bad hips, knees, etc... You're not going to struggle to get that bike in between your legs. I know it's a big joke and all, but that's one major reason why you'll see more of this style. I only have somewhat bad knees and the rising saddlebar is hard enough for me to get over on top of the 32" tires on my bike.

The main thing about what we would call "women's" bikes is the lower saddlebars... they are also MUCH easier for those with disabilities to mount and dismount. Bad hips, knees, etc... You're not going to struggle to get that bike in between your legs. I know it's a big joke and all, but that's one major reason why you'll see more of this style. I only have somewhat bad knees and the rising saddlebar is hard enough for me to get over on top of the 32" tires on my bike.

this, cuz its gonna be ridden by any Google employee around Google campus and REDICULOUS color cuz nobody will then steal it :p

if you look at it just right, does it spell "Google" like some of the graphics on the search page when they hide the letters in the picture??? I've always disliked those.

Well your grandmother's bike probably had the kickstand more centrally located on the bike, also the grips seem to be more for a kiddy BMX type bike (the cheap ones), lastly the seat isn't flat and wide for women with wider butts, this seat is more for slim bodied

Well your grandmother's bike probably had the kickstand more centrally located on the bike, also the grips seem to be more for a kiddy BMX type bike (the cheap ones), lastly the seat isn't flat and wide for women with wider butts, this seat is more for slim bodied

Proper bike riding doesn't involve sitting on the seat, but leaning against it. You're supposed to have a semi standing posture on the bike most of the time, it keeps your legs from having to work as hard with momentum and gravity assisting. When you sit, you're pushing down on the pedals much more than you usually would.

I usually like google projects, but this one is pretty much a flop. They played around and ended up with something you can buy at any bike store. They would have been better off going to one of the many custom bike builders in the bay area and have one of them design the frame and spec the bike out.

If they were going for reliable and low maintenance they shouldn't have used a chain.

Loving all the "it doesn't look cool" comments. High school is over, grow up already. That thing is a perfectly functional bike. Keep arguing about arbitrary aesthetics while the people riding those worry about working at Google.

So are these just going to be for employees riding around campus or something? I could see it being great for that.

So are these just going to be for employees riding around campus or something? I could see it being great for that.

Yeah, they hop on a bike at one building, ride it to the next, and leave it there for someone else to go back. I go to the park near Google all the time and they're always floating around that area.

Most bikes with a single caliper brake have it mounted on the back. This one has it front mounted, which doesn't seem like a real good idea. It looks like it might have a coaster brake also which is an odd combination.

They will be a lot easier to ride than the old Google bikes.
FIYy9.jpg

It looks like a very efficient bike, down to the paint job that is designed to deter theft. The bike in the picture has no gears, which is a good idea for a bike designed to be used on level ground and at only modest speeds (i.e. the Google campus), that reduces costs and improves reliability. The seat post show that the bike can accommodate virtually any size of rider. The single cross bar cuts costs. The basket is imminently practical.

I can't think of any way to improve it, for it's intended purpose.

Mainly the new one looks longer/larger in general, which is probably more comfortable to ride than the original ones which look kind of tiny.

Most bikes with a single caliper brake have it mounted on the back. This one has it front mounted, which doesn't seem like a real good idea. It looks like it might have a coaster brake also which is an odd combination.
pull the front brake only on a 10 speed and rider goes over front handle bars - been there, done that

It looks like a very efficient bike, down to the paint job that is designed to deter theft. The bike in the picture has no gears, which is a good idea for a bike designed to be used on level ground and at only modest speeds (i.e. the Google campus), that reduces costs and improves reliability. The seat post show that the bike can accommodate virtually any size of rider. The single cross bar cuts costs. The basket is imminently practical.

I can't think of any way to improve it, for it's intended purpose.

Yeah, I suppose having a belt-drive would only make it more commonly stolen.

Loving all the "it doesn't look cool" comments. High school is over, grow up already. That thing is a perfectly functional bike. Keep arguing about arbitrary aesthetics while the people riding those worry about working at Google.

seriously.

They're not trying to market this thing and sell it. They are providing a service to employees on their campus. If the employees don't like them, they can buy their own bike :p

I think it's fun, and functional. Which I would imagine is exactly what they were going for. Good job Google :p

They should have gotten some harlequin golfs for their street-view vehicles: :p

27700d1169060074harlequ.jpg

yes, that is a real, factory car. Not sure how many were produced but it was made to show off all the factory colors.

Back