Google Reverses Decision, Will Continue To Work With Huawei

Uvaman2

2[H]4U
https://www.newsy.com/stories/google-goes-back-on-decision-to-cut-ties-with-huawei/

From the article:
Just days after Google said it was suspending business with Huawei, the company says it will continue to work with the Chinese tech giant over the next 90 days.

Google made the surprising reversal not long after the U.S. walked back parts of an executive order aimed at banning the purchase and use of equipment made by Huawei.

The Commerce Department announced Monday it would grant Huawei a temporary general license. That means, for the next 90 days, the company will be allowed to buy American-made goods in order to maintain its existing networks and support mobile services for current users.

In my opinion, these moves... Do run the risk of breaking Android, and Google's dominance.

The temporary license is only for updates and support for currently-deployed hardware; Huawei is still not allowed to buy or license e.g. the Play Store for new phones.

I just picked up a mediapad m5 a few months ago. It's an amazing tablet, I hope they are going to be able to still support their hardware after this.

I am unconcerned with breaking Android's dominance. How many Chinese designed and engineered products are global preferences?

I am unconcerned with breaking Android's dominance. How many Chinese designed and engineered products are global preferences?

Hard to say, viewing from within the US. What I've seen of Huawei (and others) is generally pretty favorable, and up until now, their products have been both inexpensive and interchangeable / compatible, for the most part.

So maybe pretty popular in some markets. However, those last two points aren't likely to last. India is next in line for a similar level of technological development with similar (though asymetrical) relationships with current technology leaders but also having relatively positive relationships with leaders in military technology and military capabilities, i.e. with the US, Europe, and Russia.

I just picked up a mediapad m5 a few months ago. It's an amazing tablet, I hope they are going to be able to still support their hardware after this.

They say that they will continue to support all their Android devices they've released so far.

Huawei pledges to continue Android device support after rebuff from Google

"Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally."

Back